SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 08:23 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire pressure warning light

The tire pressure warning light has come on and says on in my 07 SC430. I have made sure that the tires are all correctly inflated but the light does not go out after driving the car for some time as mentioned in the manual. I also have the situation mentioned in the manual where the light is blinking for 1 minute and stays on. In this situation the manual tells me to contrast my Lexus dealer immediately. I would like to know what to expect before calling the dealor.
Old 06-23-14, 08:38 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one of the sensor is bad do what a lot us do remove all the sensors or find which one is bad and replace it. they are not cheap. not worth my time and money. when your tire pressure is low you must check it in the morning when tire is cold any way. this is the way companies make money on us we to lazy to check the pressure. you wouldn't know how much air to put in because the tire is hot any way.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-23-14 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 11:16 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The TPMS sensors in the wheels run on batteries. And batteries don't last forever. (usually around 5 years....ish).

When mine started to fail, they failed one at a time...over the course of maybe 9 months.

Only the dealer (or someone with the Lexus-specific scan tool) can tell which sensor is actually bad and in need of replacement.

I know a lot of people just disconnect the system once the sensors start to go but, personally, I like the security the system provides me. It's notified me of a problem more than once.

I know that I'm SUPPOSED to check my tire pressure on all 5 tires every time I fill up...but I don't! However, I know the TPMS system has my back. If a tire starts to get low, it'll let me know (and has, on multiple occasions).

But, like bacardi11 said, they're not cheap. And, if one of your batteries (in the sensors) is starting to go, the others are probably not far behind. So, spend $300 to replace the sensor and have it programmed to work on your car, only to have another sensor fail a month or two down the road? Bite the bullet and just drop $1,200.00 on 4 new sensors and be done with it? Or just unplug the damn thing and buy a $7.00 tire pressure gauge?

But the trick with the tire pressure gauge is...you have to actually get out of the car and USE it, regularly, or it doesn't work.
Old 06-23-14, 11:38 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

like I said I check my pressure about every 2 weeks and I have a pump I plug into my lighter and pump them up to 34 pounds if needed. COLD COLD

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-23-14 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 12:25 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Great advice guys, but how do you unplug the sensors? And does that turn off the warning light on the dash?
Old 06-23-14, 05:23 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing a year ago on my 02. What I did was air down and air up each tire one at time and the light went out. Its worth a try and I am amazed the light still out and the battery's are 12 years old now.

i
Old 06-23-14, 05:47 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The tire pressure sensing unit sits, or is mounted directly below your radio head unit. To get to it you will need to remove the center console. The device has a harness attached to it. Just disconnect the two harnesses and the LED display (tire symbol) on your instrument cluster will no longer display. There is no need to remove the TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails Tire pressure warning light-image.jpg  
Old 06-23-14, 07:12 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

darthsid
I forgot all about that thanks age
Old 06-24-14, 06:21 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

DarthSid,
Thanks for the picture. It looks to me like the console is held in place by several tabs, is that correct? Is there a trick to removing it? I have tried to pry it up with a small prybar but I am afraid of breaking off the tabs.
Old 06-24-14, 06:39 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

- Park the car on a flat, level surface
- Make sure the parking brake is set
- Key in the ignition, set to ACC
- Open the center console (top and bottom parts)
- Pop out the seat heater controls (it's just a friction fit), unplug and set aside
- IMPORTANT - Open the door on the stereo
- Put the car in D or lower (to get the gear shift **** out of the way)
- Lift the console up from the back an inch or two (by where the seat heater controls were).
- After you lift it up a couple of inches, pull it back (towards the back seat) and it'll pop out
- There are a few cables/connectors to unplug and then you can lift the console out and set it aside
Old 06-24-14, 07:30 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to add one small item.

You must remove the gear shift kn0b from the shaft to remove the panel. It just unscrews from the shaft.
Old 06-24-14, 08:15 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you can put it to "N", then no need to remove the shift ****.
Old 06-24-14, 08:16 AM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Just to add one small item.

You must remove the gear shift kn0b from the shaft to remove the panel. It just unscrews from the shaft.
While this is true, you don't have to actually remove the panel, it will move enough out of the way to access the plugs.

Source: Did it to my wife's SC a month or so again when we put new wheels on it.
Old 06-24-14, 12:09 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Agreed with Curr. However, use micro towel or rags to layover and around the shift lever to prevent marring the faceplate to the shift lever. Also take into account since you have a few wire harness connected to the under console, the range of extension will be limited.
Old 06-24-14, 12:55 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Habious,
Great instructions, had absolutely no problems accessing the switches. I did see that on my 07 the two switches are reversed, the larger one is on the right and the smaller one is on the left. After unplugging them and starting the car the tire pressure light did continue to flash and after a minute stayed on with a solid light. Do you have any suggestions. Should I drive it around the block. I would have thought that unplugging the system would have cut power to the light but that does not apper to be the case.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure warning light