SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shop broke off O2 sensor; wants $2000 to Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 07:06 AM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed stuff "breaks" a lot more when people see you drive a Lexus (they expect you would just pay for about anything) ... just IMO, brought my car to a independent shop and they said the piston fell out of the caliper during a brake job, wanted more $$ .. I told them to go pound sand, got my car towed back home and finished the brake job myself ....
Old 06-24-14, 07:44 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loveslexus
So I dropped my SC off to get the front two O2 sensors replaced. Anyways they forced one off and the threads are stuck in the manifold and it needs to be retapped. The shop claims this is unfortunate but that it is not their fault because "this happens".....

This is a small time repair shop so I don't really want them working on the engine, when they couldn't get the O2 sensor right....

Thoughts on what I should do? I will have to have the car towed otherwise.

They claim 14 hours to remove and replace the passenger side manifold.....at $110 per hour (LOL)
This issue is systemic on toyota products. Simply look at the threads on the ISF forums and see how many people simply order new sensors before they remove their low mileage exhaust systems and exhaust manifolds. They clearly do NOT use any type of antiseeze on the exhaust bolts or studs. Recently I removed my first exhaust manifold stud in three years that didn't strip off or snap when removed. I frankly almost shat my pants when all four came out! This problem you have is NOT the shops issue or fault, it is Toyota's fault for using crap components and not simply applying some antiseeze too the sensors before they were installed. Please note that just about every sensor we have ever installed (and that number is well into the 100's) has come with a small packet of a antiseeze compound too be applied to the threads of the sensor. In conclusion it is easy to be an "internet ninja" and make claims that a shop is incompetent, or simply botched a repair, or they should have done this or that, but in reality the repair business dosent work that way... Why on earth would any shop take responsibility for YOUR sensor not only failing in it's electronic duties but also becoming seized in the exhaust manifold? They didn't install it incorrectly to begin with, and they simply tried to remove it...
Old 06-24-14, 07:50 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc430faste
I noticed stuff "breaks" a lot more when people see you drive a Lexus (they expect you would just pay for about anything) ... just IMO, brought my car to a independent shop and they said the piston fell out of the caliper during a brake job, wanted more $$ .. I told them to go pound sand, got my car towed back home and finished the brake job myself ....
The piston fell out? So when they towed your car too your house what did you receive? A car with no brake caliper installed? How did that work? What did they expect you too pay for? Didn't the system drain all over the place leaving the entire system in need of being re-bleed?
Old 06-24-14, 10:12 AM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ming15237
The piston fell out? So when they towed your car too your house what did you receive? A car with no brake caliper installed? How did that work? What did they expect you too pay for? Didn't the system drain all over the place leaving the entire system in need of being re-bleed?
re-manufactured brake caliper, bleed the brakes, was good after that
Old 06-24-14, 05:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So I recently had another O2 sensor also fail (2 within the last year) and replaced both at two different shops. After quite a bit of research I found one thing that was always recommended for any O2 sensor replacement and even checked with my mechanics, who agree it was the proper protocol to remove the bad 02 sensor. They said that it was important to heat the O2 sensor with a butane torch before trying to torque it loose. This avoids the broken sensor and the ensuing disaster the OP experienced. This is my understanding as explained to me and after the videos and material I've seen. Just some food for thought for anyone who reads this and decides to go with an O2 sensor repair. I would figure if my shops know this trick, most experienced shops would.
Old 06-24-14, 07:07 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I recently had another O2 sensor also fail (2 within the last year) and replaced both at two different shops. After quite a bit of research I found one thing that was always recommended for any O2 sensor replacement and even checked with my mechanics, who agree it was the proper protocol to remove the bad 02 sensor. They said that it was important to heat the O2 sensor with a butane torch before trying to torque it loose. This avoids the broken sensor and the ensuing disaster the OP experienced. This is my understanding as explained to me and after the videos and material I've seen. Just some food for thought for anyone who reads this and decides to go with an O2 sensor repair. I would figure if my shops know this trick, most experienced shops would.
This is true and accurate, most sensors will come with a slip explaining that is is best to heat the exhaust by first running the vehicle before attempting to remove the sensor. I do not feel that the torches are necessary, and have found that generally on a toyota there is often nothing the can be done to avoid the stripped/damaged thread issues. I have a strong incline that this is due too the sensors being over tightened from the factory. The placement of a tiny bit of antiseeze compound would have also gone a long way in avoiding this issue.