SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shop broke off O2 sensor; wants $2000 to Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 03:29 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shop broke off O2 sensor; wants $2000 to Fix

So I dropped my SC off to get the front two O2 sensors replaced. Anyways they forced one off and the threads are stuck in the manifold and it needs to be retapped. The shop claims this is unfortunate but that it is not their fault because "this happens".....

This is a small time repair shop so I don't really want them working on the engine, when they couldn't get the O2 sensor right....

Thoughts on what I should do? I will have to have the car towed otherwise.

They claim 14 hours to remove and replace the passenger side manifold.....at $110 per hour (LOL)
Old 06-20-14, 03:43 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, did you get a quote from a certified lexus dealer before you had the work performed by a third party? I just wondering what the dealership would charge.
Old 06-20-14, 03:51 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Get the car out of there

the prices are insane

their claimed timing is insane

and the fact that they broke something while doing a repair and are not admitting is a huge red flag
Old 06-20-14, 03:53 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
Get the car out of there

the prices are insane

their claimed timing is insane

and the fact that they broke something while doing a repair and are not admitting is a huge red flag

I called Lexus, they won't retap the threads, only replace with new.

Price is $2316 or $1664 in just labor. They claim 12.8 hours.

And Lexus claims if this happened in their shop, they would charge the customer too. :-/
Old 06-20-14, 07:14 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by loveslexus
I called Lexus, they won't retap the threads, only replace with new.

Price is $2316 or $1664 in just labor. They claim 12.8 hours.

And Lexus claims if this happened in their shop, they would charge the customer too. :-/
damn !!!

this is a tough one then

I do all the work on my cars only time any car has been touched by another hand was when my wheel techs helped me swap new wheels
Old 06-21-14, 07:03 AM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"This happens" isn't a valid excuse unless it was explained IN WRITING BEFORE the work began that it could happen and additional costs would be incurred.

So if you were not so informed before the work began, call a lawyer...ANY repair shop who breaks something while working on it should be held responsible for all repairs incurred to fix all broken parts. Or if available in your area file a claim in small claims court.

My mechanic somehow broke a TPM sensor when installing it in a new wheel. He replaced the sensor on his dime, but at the time could not calibrate it. He had me go to the local Lexus dealer to have that done and bring him the receipt at which time he immediately wrote me a check to cover the cost.
Old 06-21-14, 07:39 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not the shop's fault or due to their negligence. They had no way of knowing before hand that the sensor threads were "welded" to the manifold. It probably became "welded" over time because of either corrosion or heat. Anyone who would have tried to remove that sensor would have had the same results.
Old 06-21-14, 09:06 AM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FLYCT.: A reputable repair shop would have forewarned their customer that something could go wrong when replacing anything screwed into the block.
Old 06-21-14, 09:09 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Does any one know if when replacing o2 sensor do you use anti seize compound on the threads. If so why does the factory not use it. O2 sensors do have to be replaced from time to time. Would make sense to have a solution for a stuck sensor or a procedure
Old 06-21-14, 11:53 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What are these people replacing? Can't the old one be cut or ground off, then have a new fitting welded on to the pipe? Where the old one was taken off. At $110. an hour they sound like they want to become a stealer ship. I haven't been to a Lexus dealer in quite, I didn't think even they didn't charge that much an hour. To bad the mechanic that is doing the work isn't getting any here near that per hour. I really don't know why you would need a new exhaust manifold. Maybe try used?
Old 06-21-14, 12:09 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by MrVancey
FLYCT.: A reputable repair shop would have forewarned their customer that something could go wrong when replacing anything screwed into the block.
Not sure that's reasonable. It's not like having a medical procedure where lawyers require patients to be alerted of potential issues and signing release of liability forms before surgery.

Should one sign when having spark plugs replaced? Should one sign when having an alternator replaced? The same potential exists for damage when unscrewing anything.

Perhaps it's my background that I feel this way. In my younger days I turned wrenches on everything from B-52 bombers to my personal airplanes. There is always risk of parts snapping off after being exposed to elements for years.

If there was negligence on the part of the mechanic that caused damage, then I agree that the shop should be held responsible. I don't believe that there was negligence in this situation. "Stuff does happen"
Old 06-22-14, 11:49 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
It's not the shop's fault or due to their negligence. They had no way of knowing before hand that the sensor threads were "welded" to the manifold. It probably became "welded" over time because of either corrosion or heat. Anyone who would have tried to remove that sensor would have had the same results.
Agreed. Just because "stuff happens" doesn't mean negligence was involved, proof of which is what would be needed to recover from the shop.

You get an estimate of costs, meaning the risk of unforeseen problems is still on the customer. Technically it would be possible to enter into a flat fee contract where the shop assumed the risk of unforeseen problems but (1) no shop would do that; and (2) if they did, they would have to charge accordingly.

Having said that, I feel your pain. That's a big cost for something that isn't going to improve your enjoyment of the car.
Old 06-23-14, 07:57 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my O2 sensors replaced at Merchants a few years ago. They warned me ahead of time that sometimes O2 sensors get stuck, and in that case I would need an entire new manifold which would be big bucks. Fortunately they got the snesors of fine and all went well.

In your case, if the manifold needs replacement, why not just get performance headers since you are already replacing the manifold anyways? Then at least you would get something cool from the repair and I'd imagine it would cost the same as OE?
Old 06-23-14, 12:04 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I had my O2 sensors replaced at Merchants a few years ago. They warned me ahead of time that sometimes O2 sensors get stuck, and in that case I would need an entire new manifold which would be big bucks. Fortunately they got the snesors of fine and all went well.

In your case, if the manifold needs replacement, why not just get performance headers since you are already replacing the manifold anyways? Then at least you would get something cool from the repair and I'd imagine it would cost the same as OE?
I can only find OBX headers for $350 or PPE for $875....big split.

I'd do the OBX ones but no reviews and concerns over issues later on. $875 is too much for the PPEs (versus retaping the existing manifold). BTW, my car only has 50k miles (2002 NM edition).
Old 06-23-14, 08:05 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by loveslexus
I can only find OBX headers for $350 or PPE for $875....big split.

I'd do the OBX ones but no reviews and concerns over issues later on. $875 is too much for the PPEs (versus retaping the existing manifold). BTW, my car only has 50k miles (2002 NM edition).
A clean, 2002 NM edition with 50k miles. NICE. I would leave it stock rather than do aftermarket headers.

Quick Reply: Shop broke off O2 sensor; wants $2000 to Fix