After Market Stereo Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 03:40 PM
joetdc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Stereo Trouble

Hello Everyone,
I just installed a 2 din radio in my 04 sc430. I cant' get the speakers to work. The radio powers up. After doing some research I was told that I may need some sort of module. I guess there is an issue with the factory amp. I spoke with Lexus and they told me that I have to replace everything because all new cars, not just Lexus, come with multiplex wiring and it will not work with after market stereos. I find that hard to believe. I have read through some posts but could not seem to find anything specifically to answer my questions.
I am not an audiophile. I just wanted Sirius, USB, Blue tooth and other things the the stock radio did not have. I don't care if my Nav works I never use it. I just want to upgrade without spending a fortune. Not sure if it matters but the radio is a JVC KW-R900BT. No touch screen or camera. Just the radio. I just want to educate myself before going to a stereo install place and getting ripped off.
There is also a 2 inch gap on either side. I can't seem to find a harness either.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-14, 04:16 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need a Beat-Sonic MVA-12L kit to integrate the aftermarket head unit with the existing Mark Levinson system. BeatSonic also makes a dash kit that will nicely cover the gaps you describe. It's not cheap, but will do exactly what you ask. There are a number of these upgrades described in the audio thread, so you should have plenty of support.
Old 06-12-14, 05:57 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated in the previous thread here is the integration device you will require to make your aftermarket radio work on your car. The installation is easy and clean.
Attached Thumbnails After Market Stereo Trouble-image.jpg  
Old 06-12-14, 06:29 PM
joetdc
Driver School Candidate

430.00 ouch. Only paid 150.00 for stereo. Seems crazy. Not sure how long I will keep this car. Any alternatives if I keep my factory radio and want to add MP3, USB, and not have to use the FM transmitter for my Sirius? Like an adapter? My guess is no but it can't hurt to ask.
Thanks for the help
Old 06-12-14, 06:48 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, but it depends on the year of your car. If you're only looking for a Aux input then VaisTech SL3U or iSimple Tranzit IS77. I read today that Grom Audio has a unit for the 06+. I beta tested a unit for BlitzSafe but at the time it didn't work as intended. Blitzsafe unit played across all modes of the radio (FM, AM, CD, Tape) so it was a bust for me. I finally saved up enough for VaisTech and can't be happier. I split the aux input and am able to use an iPod charge and play cable with remote, an Asus media player, and a Bluetooth device that connects to my android phone or any other Bluetooth device (passengers' phones). I also have amazing 4G so I can play satellite/streaming radio.

I made a big thread on my media project but there's lots out there if you search for those products on this site. http://www.lexus.com/concept/

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-12-14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 06:49 PM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could use this unit from VAIS: http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3u.php

It adds an AUX port to the factory head unit. There is no USB, but the sound quality of all Vais products is really good (I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I have had their products in my past three Lexus vehicles, and always been very happy).
Old 06-13-14, 07:01 AM
joetdc
Driver School Candidate

The Vais and Grom look like some good and affordable options. If I bite the bullet and get the MVA any suggestions on a radio? I'm thinking of returning the one I have. The **** sticks out so the door can't close. If I'm spending all this money I may go touch screen. Some of the models say they have built in amps. Will that be a conflict with the factory amp on the sc430?
Old 06-13-14, 09:45 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I also believe by using BeatSonic, you will lose the door function. If someone with the upgrade will confirm please.
Old 06-13-14, 09:59 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I also believe by using BeatSonic, you will lose the door function. If someone with the upgrade will confirm please.
The door function works fine with the device.
Old 06-13-14, 10:58 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Awesome, i stand corrected. Good to know. Thanks Darth ;-)
Old 06-17-14, 07:08 AM
joetdc
Driver School Candidate

I have decided to go with the beat sonic. I am also upgrading my radio to a touch screen DVD. Might as well. So now I'm looking at about 800.00 LOL. My hope is that when I sell it will be a good thing to have since it's such a pain in the *** to add an aftermarket radio to the SC40
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 06-17-14, 11:03 AM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing you might consider have the guy hook the radio up so the DVD can be seen on the NAV screen. I have mine done that way...can't say I use it, but it is there if I want it. Also, I wouldn't install it thinking I am going to get my money back, because you probably won't. However, you will get a lot of enjoyment from it.
Old 06-23-14, 12:57 PM
joetdc
Driver School Candidate

I will make sure. Trust me I gave it a lot of thought. No I won't' get my money back. On the other hand most SC430 still have the old radio. I think if its between two cars for the same price mine will go first.
Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice.
Old 06-23-14, 04:14 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a wiring harness for the sc430 for 99.00. You must add integration module for steering wheel functions to work for another 79.00. You can also get the nice faceplate for the aftermarket radio for another $51.00 , however, your NAV. will no longer work. Now, For $430. you can add the Beatsonics kit, which has everything in it, including face-plate and also your NAV will still work ! I am an authorized BeatSonic Dealer, I am very familiar with the product.
Old 06-23-14, 05:16 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey BumpMaster, can you send me a PM with a price on this kit (MVA-12L). Thanks!

Are you sure about the steering wheel controls? The BS kit only keeps the volume up/down right? Can an aftermarket steering wheel device really work?

What signals can be send to the AUX video (aka the OEM NAV screen) with most aftermarket double DIN NAV units besides just the DVD? How rear view cam, NAV, etc?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: After Market Stereo Trouble