SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Problems running bigger wheels?

Old 06-03-14, 09:50 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems running bigger wheels?

Hi all.. I'm planning on replacing my factory wheels (18 inch) in the near future on my newly acquired 2008 SC430, but I'm concerned about a couple of issues with going +1 (19 staggered rims 8/8.5 & 9.5/10 inch widths). I don't think I'll have problems with fitment; my choice of rims/tires are pretty conservative, and I don't really plan on lowering it (or if I do in the future, it will only be about a 1.5 inch drop to get rid of the wheel gap)....so here's a couple of quick questions for those who have done this:

#1 ride comfort.
Though the SC430 ride is a lot cushier than I'm used to, I've gotten quite used to it, and my wife would be upset if by replacing the rims, it would have a significantly harsher ride with stock suspension. I know it will probably be a bit less soft, but is it a significant change (going from a 40 sidewall to a 35 front/30 rear) ? BTW, I'm not running runflats.

#2 susceptibility to bending/cracking.
I know that its always a bigger gamble running a thinner sidewall on the tires, but is it really that bad? Have any of you run into major problems with bending/cracking rims after going bigger? The roads I generally drive on in the Central Florida area are usually pretty good, but I have to drive on some cobblestone streets at times, or a pothole will suddenly appear out of nowhere once in a while. I also plan on doing some long-distance drives (1-2K+ miles) in the future, so I was just wondering if I'll be living at the rim repair shop if I go to the larger rims.

I'd appreciate some feedback from others that have gone this route before I make my decision (alternative would be to just go with a set of staggered 18 inch 8/8.5 front, 9.5/10 inch rear rims - Michelin Pilots either way).
Thanks in advance....
Old 06-03-14, 02:04 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NAmVet68, I recently ran the following setup without any issues. I live in Souther California and the roads are similar to what Florida has to offer.

Front Tires - Hankook evo: 245/35/20 Savini SV71s: 8.5" x 20"
Rear Tires - Hankook evo: 275/30/20 Savini SV71s: 10.0" x 20"

My car is OEM height, including the suspension. Upgrades are the Brembo BBK.
Zero issues with rubbing and a very smooth ride. I'm very careful to keep my eyes open for potholes.

My latest upgrade is the Savini SV29s custom three piece wheels.

Front Tires - Hankook evo2: 255/35/20 Savini SV29s: 9.0" x 20"
Rear Tires - Hankook evo2: 285/30/20 Savini SV29s: 10.5" x 20"

I'm extremely pleased with the looks and the ride quality. WIth the latest upgrade, it adds and additional 0.5" on my wheels, and with no rubbing. I'm currently looking into lowering my car with coilovers. Here are a few photos.

BTW: I'm also putting up for sale my old wheels and tires. Best offer. PM me if you are interested
Front offset: +34
Rear Offset: +46
Attached Thumbnails Problems running bigger wheels?-sv29s_front-look.jpg   Problems running bigger wheels?-sc430_sv71s_2.jpg  
Old 06-04-14, 05:44 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Nice looking setup there Darth..I like the wheels, but I think the 20 inchers would be even more susceptible to dings and bending than the 19s, and would most likely be heavier (trying to keep unstrung weight to a minimum if I can)..

I found it interesting that you used 35 & 30 profile tires with 20 inch rims (same as I was planning with the 19 inch rims)...I thought going +2 you would have to drop another 5mm on sidewall height to keep the same OD. I noticed that with my current stock setup, my speedo is about 3-4 MPH over actual speed (according to my GPS enabled Radar Detector, and my backup Garmin), so a slightly larger outside diameter wouldn't be a bad thing....

I mainly bought the SC to have a car that's comfortable, stone reliable and required little maintenance... I looked at/have owned a couple of used Jags, Mercedes SL55 AMG, M3 and the Audi S5...all within the same price range. The SC won hands-down....mainly due to reliability (and the drop-top ). Though I've never owned a Lexus before, I've owned a couple of Toyotas over the years, and they were basically trouble-free. Rock solid cars.

Even if something does break, the repairs are far easier & cheaper than with the others I looked at, and should be far-less often...trust me on that one - been there, done that. (if you think Lexus repairs are high, look at Merc, Jag, or Audi costs!) I've usually done my own work in the past (I'm an old motor-head from way-back), but I'm getting to the point where crawling around on the floor busting knuckles no longer appeals to me..

Anyway...just looking for a little feedback from folks who have gone the +1 route, mainly looking for their experiences with changes in comfort & rim damage.

Thanks
Old 06-04-14, 08:49 AM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NAmVet68, thanks.

The advice I have taken is from subject matter experts who do this for a living. I research and contact multiple end points until I'm satisfied. Like you I have busted many knuckles and cut elbows and fingers working on my cars for decades. The major stuff, I let my mechanic work. The electronic mods, I deal with them. The setup I have is aggressive and lowering my car 1.0" - 1.5" is not that severe. I may get a bit of rubbing if I hit a speed bump, but it's something I'm willing to deal with if I decide to lower my car. You are correct on the speedo error, I also have a plus 3-4 mph difference due to the 20" wheels. Were I live there is a radar sign/detector that post your speed. Yes, my GPS aftermarket unit is also off just a hair which is not a big deal to me. Years ago when I replaced my Frisbee looking wheels, I realized I would have to give something in return. Bottom line, it's what makes YOU happy. Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails Problems running bigger wheels?-image.jpg  
Old 06-05-14, 01:17 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use this calculator when choosing tires to get the right size and keep the same OD ;-)

http://www.willtheyfit.com/
Old 06-05-14, 03:47 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Thanks for the link to the calculator Rollaboy...That's outstanding!!!!