SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

PPE Headers

Old 07-02-14, 07:29 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are there any risks to getting PPE headers installed? I heard that PPE headers could cause some ancillary/secondary problems with valve clicking or something?
Old 07-02-14, 10:44 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=LexBrett;8608462]Are there any risks to getting PPE headers installed? I heard that PPE headers could cause some ancillary/secondary problems with valve clicking or something?[/QUOTE

Always remember that one thing leads to another when doing anything aftermarket. Not that it can't be done...Just that you have to always have a contingency plan for the next thing down the line from what you just installed...
Old 07-02-14, 11:49 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Are there any risks to getting PPE headers installed? I heard that PPE headers could cause some ancillary/secondary problems with valve clicking or something?
There are no issues with these headers. No check engine lights, or valve clicking. It will be a little louder, but not much if you retain your stock cats.

Install isn't too bad, about 8 hours is all it will take with a lift and the proper tools. The hardest part is getting the factory heat shields out. Install is simple.
Old 07-02-14, 08:54 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent had any problems with these headers - great performance and great match with my custom exhaust. Howver, The install needed more work after road testing to grind down the steering knuckle because the headers would rub against the steering during a rt. hand turn faster than about 20mph when the engine slightly shifts to the left.The steering knuckle would actually get stuck against the headers. Grinding down the edges of the knuckle solved that though.
Old 07-03-14, 09:10 AM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
I havent had any problems with these headers - great performance and great match with my custom exhaust. Howver, The install needed more work after road testing to grind down the steering knuckle because the headers would rub against the steering during a rt. hand turn faster than about 20mph when the engine slightly shifts to the left.The steering knuckle would actually get stuck against the headers. Grinding down the edges of the knuckle solved that though.
What would happen to your car/steering if the steering knuckle sticks against the headers? I finally found a mechanic who charges for a decent price and I'll be getting them installed next week. I'll make sure to have him road test my car first before I tell him about the steering knuckle.
Old 07-03-14, 07:43 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a right hand turn the steering would get stuck and the wheel wouldn't turn until the car slowed down. This will only happen with the right hand turn because the engine move to the left. Might be hit and hit and not happen to you bit make sure the test drives does right hand turns faster than 20 mhp. Of course, will be on the opposite side for UK/Japan cars.
Old 07-14-14, 09:15 AM
taisho
Rookie

I received my car back from the shop on Friday with my newly installed PPE headers and boyyyy does it sound beastly. It's still very quiet during idle and it definitely opens up after the 2000rpm point. I won't be dyno'ing my car, but I can tell you the power is definitely noticeable in the mid-rpm range. Overall, I spent a little less than $1,000 to get it installed. I hope it'll pass the smog inspection once it comes due.

Current setup is PPE headers, deleted resonators and universal Borla mufflers. Everything else on my car is stock.

EDIT: I haven't noticed any valve ticking and when I went to take some 20mph right hand turns, the steering DID NOT lock up or seize. It's possible that I didn't take the turn hard enough. YMMV
Old 07-14-14, 10:21 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you feel a substantial difference in acceleration/horsepower? Do you think your 0-60 is improved? In your opinion was this mod really worth $2000 in your opinion? Thanks!
Old 07-14-14, 10:46 AM
taisho
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Do you feel a substantial difference in acceleration/horsepower? Do you think your 0-60 is improved? In your opinion was this mod really worth $2000 in your opinion? Thanks!
There is a substantial acceleration "feel" with the headers. The engine definitely feels a lot better in the mid to upper rpm ranges. I won't know for sure on how much hp gain because I did not dyno before & after the mod. Overall, I would say if you have the money go ahead and spend the 2k on the headers and installation. If this mod doesn't pass smog then it will definitely not be worth it.
Old 07-14-14, 11:04 AM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by taisho
There is a substantial acceleration "feel" with the headers. The engine definitely feels a lot better in the mid to upper rpm ranges. I won't know for sure on how much hp gain because I did not dyno before & after the mod. Overall, I would say if you have the money go ahead and spend the 2k on the headers and installation. If this mod doesn't pass smog then it will definitely not be worth it.
If you retained your factory cats, you should have no problem passing CA smog test.
Old 07-14-14, 12:59 PM
taisho
Rookie

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
If you retained your factory cats, you should have no problem passing CA smog test.
I did, indeed, keep my factory cats installed. This is great news!
Old 07-16-14, 03:43 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PPEHeaders
Did you guys modify the design to fix the steering issue?
Old 07-16-14, 07:00 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Did you guys modify the design to fix the steering issue?
Yes, it is now clearanced in the area by the steering knuckle.
Old 07-16-14, 07:05 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

do u know if the LS430 application has the same problems with the steering?
Old 07-16-14, 07:09 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
do u know if the LS430 application has the same problems with the steering?
No, it is a different design. The steering rack is in a different possition and is not a problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PPE Headers