SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Newer SC head unit in older model?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 06:06 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer SC head unit in older model?

I notice the newer SCs had Bluetooth, satellite radio, BT streaming, usb hookup, etc

Is it at all possible to purchase one of these newer stock head units and install them on an '02?
Old 05-15-14, 06:11 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not at all. Different ECUs, not to mention yours is DVD based and the 2010 is HDD. The 2010 is not compatible with any other year. I investigated thoroughly prior to moving from my 2002 to my 2010.
Old 05-15-14, 07:17 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I presume the same goes for 08s and 09s then
Old 05-15-14, 07:54 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Starting with the 2005, the SC had Bluetooth, but only the 2010 had factory Xm, HDD, DVD, iPod, flash drive-totally different animal. The only downside is that because it is no longer DVD based, you can no longer add a backup camera. I tried, can't do it.
Old 08-11-14, 10:44 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More about Bluetooth in 2005-2009 models

I am starting a search for an SC. Good cell phone Bluetooth is important to me. I am weighing the pros and cons of a pre-2005 and a 2005+. The pre would require an after-market Bluetooth. These products used to work okay, but sound quality was poor, even in a quiet car (a 1997 LS 400 we owned). I am still researching the aftermarkets to learn the current state of the art. How good is the 2005 and later BT (with the top up, of course)? In all of the models (I probably don't want to spend the money on a 2010), I would look for an aftermarket fix to allow me to stream my iPhone or iPod.

This has probably already been thoroughly discussed on this site, but my searches did not locate these discussions. My apologies if I am repeating.

Roger
Old 08-11-14, 11:27 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlp1949
I am starting a search for an SC. Good cell phone Bluetooth is important to me. I am weighing the pros and cons of a pre-2005 and a 2005+. The pre would require an after-market Bluetooth. These products used to work okay, but sound quality was poor, even in a quiet car (a 1997 LS 400 we owned). I am still researching the aftermarkets to learn the current state of the art. How good is the 2005 and later BT (with the top up, of course)? In all of the models (I probably don't want to spend the money on a 2010), I would look for an aftermarket fix to allow me to stream my iPhone or iPod.

This has probably already been thoroughly discussed on this site, but my searches did not locate these discussions. My apologies if I am repeating.

Roger
The easiest way to get everything you want is to buy an aftermarket stereo (select a head unit that does everything you wish) using the Beatsonic adapter. However this isn't cheep. And not all head units fit & allow the door to close. I did 3 days of research to determine what would fit & what would fit with a little reworking of hardware.

When I find time I want to write a thread about the research, but I'll share the highlights if needed.

I've an '03 & had to do some modifying. Although my first head unit didn't fit & is now wonderfully installed in my Rav4.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 08-12-14, 09:48 AM
mohrd
Driver

Aftermarket double DIN head unit with Beatsonic interface is the way to go unless you want to rewire for speakers an an AMP. I installed mine in about 2 hours (not including pre-wiring the harness and the HOURS of research and including the 45 minutes it took to get the climate control unit out!) I hadn`t done anything like that in about 35 years. While I had the climate control unit out, I painted it black as well

Most 2DINs are going to fit but watch for any with ***** on the face. I kept the factory speakers and amp and thus NAV as that is the point of using the Beatsonic interface. Sound is vastly improved and I get the functionality of Bluetooth phone, streaming and USB iPod input, etc. Yes the Beatsonic MVA-12L cost twice the $ as the actual head unit but, it made the installation super easy.

You can search a few great write ups on equipment and procedures.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-14, 08:33 PM
pvong713
Driver

Originally Posted by mohrd
Aftermarket double DIN head unit with Beatsonic interface is the way to go unless you want to rewire for speakers an an AMP. I installed mine in about 2 hours (not including pre-wiring the harness and the HOURS of research and including the 45 minutes it took to get the climate control unit out!) I hadn`t done anything like that in about 35 years. While I had the climate control unit out, I painted it black as well

Most 2DINs are going to fit but watch for any with ***** on the face. I kept the factory speakers and amp and thus NAV as that is the point of using the Beatsonic interface. Sound is vastly improved and I get the functionality of Bluetooth phone, streaming and USB iPod input, etc. Yes the Beatsonic MVA-12L cost twice the $ as the actual head unit but, it made the installation super easy.

Does the system sound better with an aftermarket head unit?
Old 08-14-14, 07:12 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by pvong713
Does the system sound better with an aftermarket head unit?
I would say it depends on the head unit. I've a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and it's far better sound & gives much more choices (equalizer settings). Although this head unit installation fit with the automatic door is nominal (tolerance wise), that is... some cars it fits out the box & some cars require modified interface to push the head unit back far enough to close the automatic door properly.

I didn't have any issues pulling out the Control Panel Unit. It's held in place with 4 pressure clips & a couple alignment pins. Pulls straight out, but may require the use of a plastic trim tool.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-14-14, 07:16 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by mohrd

Mohrd... that Control Panel Unit painted black looks sweet! Impressive choice and well done!

Regards, Dan
Old 08-14-14, 01:33 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just bought my Beat Sonic kit and should be expecting it to come in this weekend, now Im worried about my Kenwood double din TV I removed from the LS400 and now hoping that it will fit without a problem. Anyone here with experience know the Make and model of in dash they used and theyre experiences with fitment & wood door-closing fitment? Thanks in advance... and mine has a **** which is making me think it will clash with the door :/
Old 08-14-14, 01:56 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by djsurfer
So I just bought my Beat Sonic kit and should be expecting it to come in this weekend, now Im worried about my Kenwood double din TV I removed from the LS400 and now hoping that it will fit without a problem. Anyone here with experience know the Make and model of in dash they used and theyre experiences with fitment & wood door-closing fitment? Thanks in advance... and mine has a **** which is making me think it will clash with the door :/
Miguel,

I wrote this (below) in a thread a couple months ago.

I didn't go with a Pioneer initially. My first purchase was a top the line Sony. To my disappointment, the Sony didn't fit. It was very very tight in the back & the automatic door was far from shutting. The Sony is now going to go into my Rav4. I do plan to write a thread on what I've learned, although it's not going to happen real soon. So... I'll share the highlights with you.

I spent the next 3 days researching what radios people have installed and what their outcomes were. Luckily most of the installs in SC430's were Pioneer. What I learned from my research was out of all the stereo makers I looked into only Pioneer & Alpine (some didn't) gave a chassis depth and a nose (face) depth. All others only gave an overall depth, which doesn't help much when I wanted to ensure that the door shut properly. If your to go with another stereo maker other then Pioneer or Alpine, I would suggest to contact the maker and ask questions.

What my final search showed was a chassis depth of 6.5" fit well & a nose depth of .75 was nominal tolerance-wise. That means some fit & some didn't, but the stereos that didn't, the door needed another .020. All these stereos .75 face depth high point was at the bottom of the stereo. So... if the stereo had a high point higher (like a ****) it may fit, because there is more room as you go up the door face. I went with the .75 nose depth and had to open up holes & grind off pins to move back the stereo to allow the door to close properly.

I bought my Pioneer unit from Amazon ans checked the fit the day I got it. If it didn't fit, it was going back to Amazon the next day.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 08-14-14, 02:16 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Born2x

Miguel,

I wrote this (below) in a thread a couple months ago.

I didn't go with a Pioneer initially. My first purchase was a top the line Sony. To my disappointment, the Sony didn't fit. It was very very tight in the back & the automatic door was far from shutting. The Sony is now going to go into my Rav4. I do plan to write a thread on what I've learned, although it's not going to happen real soon. So... I'll share the highlights with you.

I spent the next 3 days researching what radios people have installed and what their outcomes were. Luckily most of the installs in SC430's were Pioneer. What I learned from my research was out of all the stereo makers I looked into only Pioneer & Alpine (some didn't) gave a chassis depth and a nose (face) depth. All others only gave an overall depth, which doesn't help much when I wanted to ensure that the door shut properly. If your to go with another stereo maker other then Pioneer or Alpine, I would suggest to contact the maker and ask questions.

What my final search showed was a chassis depth of 6.5" fit well & a nose depth of .75 was nominal tolerance-wise. That means some fit & some didn't, but the stereos that didn't, the door needed another .020. All these stereos .75 face depth high point was at the bottom of the stereo. So... if the stereo had a high point higher (like a ****) it may fit, because there is more room as you go up the door face. I went with the .75 nose depth and had to open up holes & grind off pins to move back the stereo to allow the door to close properly.

I bought my Pioneer unit from Amazon ans checked the fit the day I got it. If it didn't fit, it was going back to Amazon the next day.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Dan
VERY good input Dan! Now can I ask you what model Pioneer radio did you use? Thanks!

Miguel
Old 08-14-14, 02:49 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed the Pioneer AVH-4400BH head unit without navigation that fit perfectly without modifications using the Beatsonic device. I recently replaced the head unit with the Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH with navigation head unit. If you research this head unit in Crutchfield for your vehicle the specs will state the head unit will not fit in the SC430. I also believe Crutchfield no longer sells this unit due to the latest technology. Well, several members were able to make this head unit fit. I for one was able to make the head unit fit without a single modification while incorporating the Beatsonic device. I must also add it's super tight, but I'm able to get my door to close with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails Newer SC head unit in older model?-image.jpg  
Old 08-14-14, 10:44 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Originally Posted by djsurfer
VERY good input Dan! Now can I ask you what model Pioneer radio did you use? Thanks!

Miguel
Miguel...

As I posted earlier in this thread. I installed a pioneer AVH-4000NEX

Newer SC head unit in older model?-img_20140724_095324.jpg

Quick Reply: Newer SC head unit in older model?