SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Michelin A/S+ Run Flats (again)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 09:33 AM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin A/S+ Run Flats (again)

Wondering if anybody has put a set of the Michelin A/S+ Run Flats on after reading all the reviews on this forum and then been disappointed with the tire (noise/comfort) ?? I'm getting close to removing the worst tire ever, Kumo rft and need to make a decision in the near future. Costco has there Michelin coupon coming up, leaning very heavy towards one of the super sport tires, but will wait to hear opinions. Thanks.
Old 05-04-14, 10:52 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Free advice -- ditch the run flats. Get AAA or "fix a flat" and get rid of the RFT. It will COMPLETELY change the way your car drives. I know of nothing else than can even come close to the improvement from ditching the RFTs.

As for the Michelin tires you're asking about, they are probably the best RFTs out, but they still ride VERY rough compared to the cheapest non-RFT you can buy. I have the non-RFT version of the Michelin's and they are fantastic.
Old 05-04-14, 05:59 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost 30 thousand miles on my Michelin A/S run flats. I almost changed them after reading on this thread but I'm glad I didn't. They still have plenty of tread and I like the peace of mind having rft's and no spare. The roads where I live are so bad I don't think a different tire would change much anyway.
Old 05-04-14, 10:17 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I put Michelin non-run flat Pilot Super Sports on one of my SC's and have a spare tire that I carry when on trips. I chose that tire over the A/S because the pilot Super Sports are non-directional and the A/S was directional. I like to cross rotate, which I could not do with the A/S tires.

I love the ride of that car the best. It had original run flats which I hated.

My other SC has Conti DWS tires and they ride much better than the original run flats but not as nice as my Super Sports. I had a chance to drive both cars with the top down today. The DWS tires take a few miles to get round after sitting for a few days. They also exhibit some tire noise at slow speeds. The Michelins are smooth and quiet.

Saying that, others have gone to the newer Run-Flat A/S Michelins and reported they ride great. If I were in the market today I might try those being that Michelin has a 30 day Satisfaction Guarantee so you have nothing to risk trying their run flat A/S. Worst case, if you don't like the ride just go back to Costco and swap them out.
Old 05-05-14, 11:21 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had posted this note sometime ago in a thread about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's:

Note: To all those who own A/S Plus tires, the A/S 3's have replaced them. If you have significant tread wear on your A/S Plus's from the about the middle of your tires to the edges, Michelin will give you significant credit toward buying a new set tires of your choice and it does not have be Michelin, but as of now, I would highly recommend the A/S 3's.

Here is the thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...port-a-s3.html

Last edited by sixonemale; 05-05-14 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 12:15 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taysdad
Free advice -- ditch the run flats. Get AAA or "fix a flat" and get rid of the RFT. It will COMPLETELY change the way your car drives. I know of nothing else than can even come close to the improvement from ditching the RFTs.

As for the Michelin tires you're asking about, they are probably the best RFTs out, but they still ride VERY rough compared to the cheapest non-RFT you can buy. I have the non-RFT version of the Michelin's and they are fantastic.

The first owner of my car (0-27.5k miles) bought the car w/o run flats, and had Michelin Pilot's mounted. Instead of paying the extra $1000 for the Spare Tire Kit, he run around w/ fix-a-flat in the tires (Spend $66.7k & put that crap in your tires). When I had the tires replaced, the shop had to spend 45 minutes cleaning all the crap off. That wasn't the worst of it though. In time my stock wheels developed rust under the chrome around the bead-lip. Two of wheels plagued me with leakage. I had the shop clean them up, but it was only a matter of time, rust would build up and the leakage would appear again. I ended up buying new wheels at 55k. The Spare Tire Kit was my first upgrade within a month of buying the car. Cost me $700-$750.

I'll never use that crap.

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (non run flat) and they're awesome tires. My previous two sets where Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s, but the current tires blow them away in every way except braking.

When it comes to tires, the most important thing is… what do YOU want the car to do? How do you want it to perform? People should also be sharing... What they're looking for in tire performance, the type of driving they do (calm or aggressive), and what kind of terrain and weather environment they're driving in.

I'm a very aggressive driver, and love driving through the hill's and tight turns of the mountains in my area. When I come along an idiot (usually someone that isn't from the area) on the road, I accelerate past them to leave my troubles behind me.

I live in Southern California, so my weather environment is pretty consistent (beautiful). But if I lived in a winter snow area, I would store the SC and breakout the 69' Bronco.

Best regards,
Dan

Last edited by Born2x; 05-05-14 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Clairify
Old 05-09-14, 02:35 PM
watson4664
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Almost exactly a year ago I drove from California to Nevada to purchase a 2008 SC430. I drove back the same day and the following noticed a screw in one of the tires. Went to the local tire shop and of course they will not repair a run flat and was also floored at their cost. Of course they had to order the tire which would take a couple of days so I had them put on 4 new non run flat Yokohama’s.

OMG what a difference in ride and noise. I ordered a spare tire kit from Lexus Sewell and now have comfort and peace of mind.
Old 05-09-14, 06:53 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Born2x
The first owner of my car (0-27.5k miles) bought the car w/o run flats, and had Michelin Pilot's mounted. Instead of paying the extra $1000 for the Spare Tire Kit, he run around w/ fix-a-flat in the tires (Spend $66.7k & put that crap in your tires). When I had the tires replaced, the shop had to spend 45 minutes cleaning all the crap off. That wasn't the worst of it though. In time my stock wheels developed rust under the chrome around the bead-lip. Two of wheels plagued me with leakage. I had the shop clean them up, but it was only a matter of time, rust would build up and the leakage would appear again. I ended up buying new wheels at 55k. The Spare Tire Kit was my first upgrade within a month of buying the car. Cost me $700-$750.

I'll never use that crap.

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (non run flat) and they're awesome tires. My previous two sets where Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s, but the current tires blow them away in every way except braking.

When it comes to tires, the most important thing is… what do YOU want the car to do? How do you want it to perform? People should also be sharing... What they're looking for in tire performance, the type of driving they do (calm or aggressive), and what kind of terrain and weather environment they're driving in.

I'm a very aggressive driver, and love driving through the hill's and tight turns of the mountains in my area. When I come along an idiot (usually someone that isn't from the area) on the road, I accelerate past them to leave my troubles behind me.

I live in Southern California, so my weather environment is pretty consistent (beautiful). But if I lived in a winter snow area, I would store the SC and breakout the 69' Bronco.

Best regards,
Dan
How bad of a driver would you have to be to use fix a flat on a regular basis? I have been driving for over 25 years and have had a total of (1) flat tire in my life. Perhaps I am just a good enough and observant enough driver to avoid hazards? Perhaps I am lucky? I drive very aggressively and cannot imagine having so many problems with tires that I ever have worried about flats or it dictating to me what I would do for tires LOL. If I ever need to use the fix a flat, I would simply clean or replace the wheel with the tire. I don't think I would ever give up the precious trunk room (top down) for a spare tire. But to each their own.
Old 05-09-14, 07:31 PM
FLYCT

This is how i handle tire issues with our SC430s. In my 50 years driving I believe I only had one time that I changed a tire and it was back in the 60's. That was due to a defective batch of Goodyear radial tires where I had tread delimitation.

I've had several incidents of nails causing slow leaks.

I carry the Lexus tire repair kit from Sewell Parts in the trunks of our cars all the time.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/4343.html

It contains a compressor that is powered via cigarette lighter, so if you get a nail with a slow leak you can pump up the tire to get you to a service station.

It also includes a stop leak that is certified for TPMS sensors. I don't think I'd use this unless it was 3am in a bad neighborhood.

When on trips I carry a spare tire.

If I were to get a tire blow out when I don't have the spare with me i would first call Lexus for a tow as both of our SCs are covered with extended warranties.

Last edited by FLYCT; 05-09-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 08:15 PM
Luso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Taysdad

I think I'm not getting something....how does getting AAA solve a flat tire with no spare? They would have nothing to put on for you. Am I wrong?
Old 05-09-14, 08:58 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by Luso
I think I'm not getting something....how does getting AAA solve a flat tire with no spare? They would have nothing to put on for you. Am I wrong?
If no spare is available and inflated AAA will tow you.

Same with Lexus roadside service if your under warranty or extended warranty.

Get a nail in a run-flat tire and it is not repairable.

Run flats are limited to 50 MPH and 50 miles when deflated.

Donut spares have speed and distance limitations also.
Old 05-10-14, 07:31 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FLYCT
If no spare is available and inflated AAA will tow you.

Same with Lexus roadside service if your under warranty or extended warranty.

Get a nail in a run-flat tire and it is not repairable.

Run flats are limited to 50 MPH and 50 miles when deflated.

Donut spares have speed and distance limitations also.
Exactly. For as rare as flats really are, either spring for the tow or get AAA if you don't like unplanned expenses. If you go with a RFT, you'll need to replace (~$300+), you can just spend $100 on the tow and repair the tire with a non-RFT. Granted, you do lose some time, but again the occurrence is very seldom. The better performance of non-RFT tires you'll notice and love everyday. For me, that's a great tradeoff for a once in a blue moon inconvenience.
Old 05-10-14, 10:21 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

took me an hour to read this entire thread lol, very useful info i think im gunna go for the a/s 3's. pricey tho, just ditched my bridgestone rft's.