SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LuxLink Questions

Old 04-10-14, 12:19 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LuxLink Questions

I bought a brand new Luxlink from a member of CL, and had it installed a couple weeks ago.

I can't seem to get the timing down to make it remote open the roof. Either that, or there is something wrong. I can't see the timing having to be THAT perfect, or it wouldn't even be worth having. I can get it to go down about 1 out of 5 times.

I was told by one person to hold the unlock button until you hear the long beep, and as soon as the beep STOPS, let the button go. Like I said, about 1 out of 5 times, this works.

I don't think it's hooked up wrong, because like I said, it works sometimes, and all of the other features of it work, like the double tap to open, and the double tap and leave the car to close.

I hope I can get this to work right, because if I told anyone what I paid for this thing, they would slap me.

I didn't really think about the fact that there isn't really a ton of times I would use the remote top down, since you can only do it from the proximity that your OEM fob will reach, but since I paid for it, I would like to at least have the option.

Also, I'm wondering if there is a way around the fact that if you use the remote start feature, my steering wheel doesnt return to it's normal position when I put the key in...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-14, 12:57 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could talk to the person who made the device, Steve at Luxury Motors. I spoke with him this morning and asked if he plans on making/ manufacturing the device anytime soon. His response is that he is too busy at this time but is considering to possibly star up again.
Old 04-10-14, 01:54 PM
05SC430PB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is great news.

I hope he resumes manufacture LuxLink, I would love to add one to my 05PB
Old 04-10-14, 05:43 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

GoIowa, the problems you are having were also part of my experience. I had trouble in the beginning but it does take time to get the habit of the length of the push sequence. As for the seat control, if you program the seat memory then you just have to tap a button once you get into the vehicle. I called Steve about the seat problem last year, and he said it's normal. Good luck.
Old 04-10-14, 11:06 PM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

It's not the seat... it's the steering wheel. When I shut my car off, my steering wheel moves up and away from me, and when i put my key in, it comes back to normal position. However, if I remote start the car, when i get in the steering wheel stays up and away from me even after I put the key in.

As for the remote top, I guess I will just keep trying to get it down, but I really wish it was easier, because it seems like I can rarely get it to work. If I hold the button until the long beep is over, my widows roll down about a quarter of he way, and the top does nothing.
Old 04-11-14, 05:23 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As I remember, if you open the drivers door before you remove the key from the ignition then you have disabled the Luxlink from dropping the top until the next time you go through the "proper" sequence of exiting the car. In other words, remove the key before opening the drivers door and Luxlink will lower the top correctly when you press and hold the unlock button.
Old 04-11-14, 08:06 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

GoIowa, my steering wheel AND seat both reposition when I program the memory "1" button on the door wall. So after a remote start the first thing i do is press that button and both end up in the correct spot.

In response to Bon, I don't have that problem either. I can open either door while the top is descending, as long as I tap the unlock button within two seconds of the "long" beep so the door is actually unlocked. If you use the physical key unlock, then the top will stop mid sequence.
Old 04-11-14, 08:35 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

With the Luxlink to drop the top...

Press and hold the unlock button. It'll beep-beep...then a long beep...then continue to hold the button until the windows roll down 3-4 inches...release.

One thing that the Luxlink is VERY particular about is resetting (the "state" of the LuxLink). The LuxLink is VERY reliable when starting from the "reset" state. This is accomplished by (with the key removed) opening and closing the door.

Read the bolded sentence above carefully. it's very specific, and it needs to be. If you're in the habit of opening the door, then removing the key, getting out, and closing the door...you didn't reset the LuxLink, and it won't work the next time to try to do it.

Individual actions....in this order

- Remove key
- Open door
- (get out)
- Close door

Took me a long time to realize that probably 90% of the problems I had with the LuxLink being unreliable or inconsistent was not ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS doing this when you get out of the car.

And it can be hard to troubleshoot. You're standing there going "What the heck am I doing wrong?" And the answer is "nothing". The problem isn't what you're doing now, it's how you exited the car...YESTERDAY!

I also came to realize that many of my LuxLink problems happened after my wife borrowed the car. I watched her drive one and saw why. She'd stop the car, turn it off, open the door, gather her "stuff", then take the key out, get out of the car, and close the door.

This applies for every aspect of the LuxLink. It's especially important if you use the "double-click to close" feature (which is friggin' awesome!!!). But, you HAVE to do it in the right order...

- Pull up to park (top is down)
- Double-click the close button on the dash
- REMOVE THE KEY
- Open the door
- Hit the lock button on the inside of the door
- Close the door
- Walk away (top will close and, when the cycle is complete, the engine will shut off with the car locked)
* and the LuxLink will be in the proper "state" for it to work the next time you use it.

It's just a habit that needs to be learned.

And, if you get it wrong, all you have to do (with the key in your HAND, not in the ignition) is open the driver's door and close it again. After that, the LuxLink will work (assuming it's installed properly).
Old 04-11-14, 11:52 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Habious' post should be required reading for all LuxLink owners. Someone should forward it to Steve.

Once you get the timing of how far to let the window come down before releasing the button, it is pretty much a 100% works-every-time thing. Yes, you have to be within range of the remote, but with a fresh battery and the key held up to your chin (yes, that helps, try it and if you don't believe me Google it) you can pretty much have the top down by the time you arrive at the car.

Of course, if you want extended range, you can activate the Luxlink via a cell phone and just call the car from anywhere.
Old 04-11-14, 01:15 PM
Habious

Credit where credit is due...Bon is the first one (in this thread) to point out the importance of the key out/door open sequence of events.

I just banged it over people's heads!
Old 04-12-14, 07:48 AM
GoIowa18
Driver School Candidate

That must be it... I never knew about the sequence of getting out of my car, so I will try that today! Thanks guys!

So I see that the thread about the mod for calling your car from your phone is a few years old... did that ever go anywhere and become mass produced? I'd totally buy that.
Old 04-12-14, 11:44 AM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the command sequence to do just start the car remote?

What is the command sequence to start then put top down?
Old 04-12-14, 03:05 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems like every time someone installs the luxlink we have this same thread. Maybe it should be a sticky. Most luxlink owners just get into the habit and rarely have problems. I'm now on my second SC with luxlink and the orientation time was zero on SC #2.

BE SURE TO ALWAYS pull out your key BEFORE you open the drivers door. Yes, it is as simple as that. Hard to do if you are NOT in the habit.
Old 04-14-14, 06:12 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by fj40ih8mud
What is the command sequence to do just start the car remote?

What is the command sequence to start then put top down?
1) To remotely drop the top - Press and hold the unlock button until it beeps AND the windows roll down 3-4 inches. Release unlock button, top should go down. FYI, this same sequence also works to RAISE the top. The only trick is you have to guess on the timing (because the windows are already down at that point and you can't use them to measure how long to hold the unlock button)

2) To remotely start the car - Press (and release) unlock, followed by lock...then lock again. Each button press (unlock, lock, lock) should be about 1/2 - 1 second apart

3) To remotely start the car followed by a top drop - (This is the tricky one as far as timing. I've had a LuxLink for like 4 years now and I still get this one right only about half the time.) Press and hold the unlock button until the windows roll down 3-4 inches (like in #1), then after releasing the unlock, IMMEDIATELY press lock followed by lock again. The timing window between releasing the unlock button and pressing the lock button is SHORT so, don't be surprised if you miss it and the top just goes down (without the car starting).

*Note: With the unlock, lock, lock sequence used in #2 and #3, after you've completed the button sequence (but before the car starts), you can press the unlock button one more time. If you do that, the car will then be unlocked (after startup). When the car is running, the remote buttons are disabled, so you have to use the key to in the door to unlock it (This isn't the LuxLink's fault, it's how Toyota/Lexus does things).