SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car battery dead, keys won't unlock driver side door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 12:28 PM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car battery dead, keys won't unlock driver side door?

Reviving my car after long months of long winter storage and I cannot get the door unlocked. I know the battery is dead so the remote won't work, but I cannot even unlock the door with the key, twisting it back and forth and nothing happens. I am just trying to get under the hood so i can jump the car, but no way to unlock the door , anyone got advice? It is a 2002 SC430 , is the key supposed to work ? Or does the car need battery for the key to twist and unlock the door?
Old 03-17-14, 01:05 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2005. When my battery died, I unlocked my door using the key by twisting the old fashioned way. No problem. Have you ever tried using this key to unlock before ? Wonder if your lock cylinder is wrongly installed. Happened to me with another car and got the dealer to fix under warranty.
Old 03-17-14, 02:57 PM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OBP
I have a 2005. When my battery died, I unlocked my door using the key by twisting the old fashioned way. No problem. Have you ever tried using this key to unlock before ? Wonder if your lock cylinder is wrongly installed. Happened to me with another car and got the dealer to fix under warranty.

Thanks OBP, Twisted it and nothing happens, it was a bit cold today (below freeezing), maybe it is iced up? I will try it again tomorrow once it gets warmer.
Old 03-17-14, 03:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My key will also give me some occasional trouble with icy weather. I had the LuxLink so once I started the car, it would lock me out of the unlock button on the remote. Try to heat or lock deicer. Might be worth the simple fix rather than something more devious.
Old 03-19-14, 05:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
My key will also give me some occasional trouble with icy weather. I had the LuxLink so once I started the car, it would lock me out of the unlock button on the remote. Try to heat or lock deicer. Might be worth the simple fix rather than something more devious.
lock deicer should do the trick, good luck!
Old 03-19-14, 06:43 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

The keyhole in the driver's door (the only keyhole on the car) is mechanical and is designed for this situation. If it is not working, the problem is mechanical, not electrical. If you are going to store the car over the winter, you might want to look into "Battery Tender," designed for long term storage.
Old 04-19-14, 08:03 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok, so i noticed something quite odd today and I know there are tons of threads on this forum about SC430 battery issues and possible "parasitic drains," that lead to dead batteries after about a week of being parked. I thought I'd state my observation in this thread as a start. I noticed that while walking up to my car tonight, that the puddle light on the INTERIOR door was illuminated but only at about 8% of full brightness (when compared to an open door). I have switched all my interior halogens to LED's and therefore believe there could be a constant drain on the battery from these door lights indicated by the low voltage LED. Halogens wouldn't illuminate until they hit the voltage threshold and this could possibly go undiagnosed. I know many will respond with the reason for my problem as one of the consequences of my mods, but I have not altered or adjusted that physical door light at all. Just struck me as quite odd. It is constantly illuminated (even when alarm is engaged and active). Bewildering. Any suggestions or rationale?
Old 05-29-14, 09:02 AM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to reply but , figured it out on my car, for whatever reason my car the door doesn't work when the battery is drained, not sure if it is because the previous owner did something to it etc, but when juiced the door works with the key , without the battery the door doesn't work with the key. Anyways , called triple A and they opened it in a few minutes, then jumped and it runs good!
Old 05-29-14, 09:57 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430faste
Forgot to reply but , figured it out on my car, for whatever reason my car the door doesn't work when the battery is drained, not sure if it is because the previous owner did something to it etc, but when juiced the door works with the key , without the battery the door doesn't work with the key. Anyways , called triple A and they opened it in a few minutes, then jumped and it runs good!
That's really odd the key is mechanical
Old 05-29-14, 11:10 AM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
That's really odd the key is mechanical
Yep no idea why, but its working now!