SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TRD Rear Sway Bar mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 09:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRD Rear Sway Bar mod

Many of us been looking for sway bars now thet the Daizan set are not available. A while ago I and other members installed the TRD sway sold for the GS models. They are available for a good price from our sponsor Sewell. The front replacement is a simple DIY. The rear however does not fit the SC because for the GS it is a straight bar while for the SC there is a brace support structure in the way - the OEM sway bar goes around it.

I wanted to match the the front so I had the shop I use (Mach V Motorsports) modify the support structure. They cut a groove for thenTRD sway bar and reenforced the support by welding a section of 18 gauge steel pipe. Be carefull when measuring the location - you must have the car on a flatbed lift because if the wheels are hanging the sway bar hangs lower too. Job worked out great - better stability in the rear, and no rubbing.

I am waiting for the Tom's 6-link rear mod to arrive and I will also do a custom replacement for the rear chassis stiffening bars - then out to the track to test.
Attached Thumbnails TRD Rear Sway Bar mod-image.jpg   TRD Rear Sway Bar mod-rear_swaybar_mod1.jpg   TRD Rear Sway Bar mod-trd_rear_swaybar.jpg   TRD Rear Sway Bar mod-rear_swaybar_mod3.jpg  

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-15-14 at 09:26 PM. Reason: add more photos
Old 03-15-14, 09:37 PM
rouge
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should use this one. (19φ)
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...9372/note.aspx

Lexus IS one also could be use.(16φ)
Old 03-16-14, 06:23 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hi young man, see a lot of things going on.
Old 03-16-14, 08:55 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rouge
You should use this one. (19φ)
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/user...9372/note.aspx

Lexus IS one also could be use.(16φ)
Nice. Note the TRD I installed in also 19mm. For our members can you post where to purchase the bar shown in your link?
Old 03-16-14, 06:58 PM
rouge
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Nice. Note the TRD I installed in also 19mm. For our members can you post where to purchase the bar shown in your link?

Yes.
The parts number cusco swaybar justfit for sc430 is 198 311 B19 (19φ)
Check the number at google for buy

Ex: http://www.frsport.com/Cusco-198-311...X_p_54819.html

Ex: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cusco-198-31...-/301061844113

AND It should use toyota original short link assy, because sway's end hole is bigger than normal sc430 's one
See more info http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...4496/note.aspx

Short link assy toyota parts number is 48830-30090 (need 2)
and it's bolt toyota parts number is 90179-12151 (need2)
bush is include in cusco sway bar set.
bush bracket shoule be change toyota bigger one: toyota parts number 48832-30060 (need2)
(Fot fit sc430, bracket hole should be spread

I feeled 19φ sway bar is too strong for street use.
So I rechange to 16φ toyota sway bar: toyota parts number is 48812-30500
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...7506/note.aspx

Good luck !

Last edited by rouge; 03-16-14 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 07:24 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks rouge. i think it was you who turned us on to the TRD door stabilizers; I put those in too. I finished the GS rear sway bar install so I'll keep the19mm for a while - feels good so far.

I'll check out those links though.
Old 10-09-14, 01:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I finally got around to be back on these stuff, man why am I so busy?

Anyway, thank you for much for sharing SlvBullet! I am glad you got it done!

Can you tell me the difference in feel between having the TRD front/stock rear vs. TRD front and rear?

Thanks ahead
Old 10-09-14, 02:33 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=BNR34;8743750]I finally got around to be back on these stuff, man why am I so busy?

Anyway, thank you for much for sharing SlvBullet! I am glad you got it done!

Can you tell me the difference in feel between having the TRD front/stock rear vs. TRD front and rear?

Thanks ahead [/QUOTE

Not super large but the car feels more balanced going fast around the curves. The TRD rear was an incremental improvement. The car doesnt lean or slosh around.Note I upgraded all the bushings before changing the sways bars and I also have the Cusco STB and coilovers. I was able to test the front TRD sway bar with the OEM rear sway bar before I put in the coilovers (Megan LP's) and it was a great improvement from OEM but it's a lot better now. The tires dont screech and the VCS doesn't go off on the corners unless I screw up the line. If you are not doing anything on a road course though you might not notice the difference much. In the rain the car should be more stable and balanced with the matching set.

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend the IS pair, vs TRD in front with the IS in the rear - it's a matching pair and both are thinner then the TRd pair.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-14, 02:52 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a new 32mm TRD front from a GS and a new 17mm ISF OEM rear going in next weekend. I'll let you know how it changes. My Megan LP's are way too soft; I hope it keeps the car from bottoming out.
Old 10-09-14, 04:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Not super large but the car feels more balanced going fast around the curves. The TRD rear was an incremental improvement. The car doesnt lean or slosh around.Note I upgraded all the bushings before changing the sways bars and I also have the Cusco STB and coilovers. I was able to test the front TRD sway bar with the OEM rear sway bar before I put in the coilovers (Megan LP's) and it was a great improvement from OEM but it's a lot better now. The tires dont screech and the VCS doesn't go off on the corners unless I screw up the line. If you are not doing anything on a road course though you might not notice the difference much. In the rain the car should be more stable and balanced with the matching set.

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend the IS pair, vs TRD in front with the IS in the rear - it's a matching pair and both are thinner then the TRd pair.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your inputs