SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cleaning the Navigation Screen/Scratches on lcd (Merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 07:11 AM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning the Navigation Screen/Scratches on lcd (Merged thread)

Jennifer mentions the fingerprints on the NAV screen issue in the "Are there any other ladies in this forum?" thread. I have to admit this isn't a problem for me yet since I don't pick up my car until next week! However, I have heard of this issue reading reviews about other cars with NAV screens. I have no experience with these touch screens, so this will be my first. I'm assuming there's crosshatched wires on the screen that tell the system where exactly you're poking the screen, thus making it a difficult display screen to clean. Also, I wouldn't want to damage it during the cleaning process.

Any suggestions on a safe way to clean the NAV screen?

Thanks.

Robert

Thanks to Jennifer for reminding me that I had this same question. And, no, you're not the only one who's neurotic about fingerprints.
Old 06-05-02, 07:17 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I read in the GS Forum from guys who have NAV in their cars.. The best thing to use is a dry eye glass cleaning cloth for your NAV window..
Old 06-05-02, 08:08 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself wear white gloves and anyone who is in the car does the same.....
Old 06-05-02, 08:38 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL.. They should sell the SC430 along with surgical gloves for us folks who hate finger prints on the wood, NAV screen ect ect..
Old 06-05-02, 01:04 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah ... I wore white gloves once and the arresting officer asked me where my hat was.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-02, 11:13 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what I use...
Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the Navigation Screen/Scratches on lcd (Merged thread)-dscn1392.jpg  
Old 02-06-03, 07:57 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the Navigation Screen/Scratches on lcd

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use to clean the Navigation screen. When it is sunny out the finger prints look horrible.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-03, 09:05 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default No Amonia

Use any glass cleaner without amonia. Such cleaners say on the label that they are safe for tinted windows. Many people say that the amonia will harm the touch screen. I keep a small (very small, like they sell for eyeglasses) spray bottle and a lint free cloth in the car. One spritz usually does it.

You do need a cleaner to remove them; just wiping with a dry cloth will do nothing -- except maybe scratch the screen.

In some instances, it helps to turn off the screen (I think you hit "Display" then "Screen Off") to make the prints easier to see.

The fingerprints do pile up, but the touch screen is far easier and faster to use than other systems that use off-screen buttons, so it's a small price to pay for the great convenience.

Or you could wear gloves.
Old 02-21-03, 02:51 PM
DMA
Driver School Candidate

Default Wipes

Get a packet of those Glass Wipes from stores like pep boys. They are in a circluar tube. I leave mine in the trunk, so anytime i need to clean it, its quick and easy.
Old 02-21-03, 06:47 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default NAV SCREEN CLEANER

I purchased a small bottle of eye glass cleaner and an eye glass cleaning cloth at the local optometrist. Total bill was $3.00. The nice part is they are both small items you can drop in the center consol and whenever you see the need just give the screen a quick squirt and a wipe. Quick and easy.
Ron
Old 03-17-05, 07:16 AM
maserati80
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy scratches on lcd : please help !

Hello everybody, I am Andrea from Italy and I am the owner of a 2002 Sc 430. I purchased this car 2 months ago and actually I 'm ver happy with it, the only problem are those totally uncomfortable run-flat tires I've put on, but I will get rid of them as soon as possible!
I have a problem : unfortunatlely I have done some scratches on the navi lcd display of the car.

They are not very deep, but they are visible ! AArgh! I have already tried to remove them using a display cleaner solution for cellular phones, but it doesn't seem to work and i'm just scared to use something else because I don't want the situation to get worse. A new Navi system here in Italy costs a fortune ( around 3.500euros + vat) : what could I do? please help !

Thank you !

Andrea Bore
Old 03-17-05, 07:51 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maserati80
Hello everybody, I am Andrea from Italy and I am the owner of a 2002 Sc 430. I purchased this car 2 months ago and actually I 'm ver happy with it, the only problem are those totally uncomfortable run-flat tires I've put on, but I will get rid of them as soon as possible!
I have a problem : unfortunatlely I have done some scratches on the navi lcd display of the car.

They are not very deep, but they are visible ! AArgh! I have already tried to remove them using a display cleaner solution for cellular phones, but it doesn't seem to work and i'm just scared to use something else because I don't want the situation to get worse. A new Navi system here in Italy costs a fortune ( around 3.500euros + vat) : what could I do? please help !

Thank you !

Andrea Bore
I experienced this same problem on my `02 and `04 SC430s. YOU CAN'T REMOVE/CLEAN THESE SCRATCHES BECAUSE THEY ARE ON THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS! Take the car to the dealer. On both occasions for my vehicles the glass was replaced under warranty.
Old 03-17-05, 08:55 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Never use anything to clean the NAV screen other than a good quality microfiber towel, and maybe a little cleaner designed for tinted glass. Harsher cleaners will harm the sensitive coating.

Paper towels and artificial fabrics will also scratch the coating.

Treat it the way you treat your plasma TV screen.
Old 03-17-05, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah i agree that there is almost no way you can "fix" the problem. just talk to dealership and see what they can do
Old 03-18-05, 03:31 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Here's the deal on the 3 lcd panels on the car. According to Lexus they are coated with an anti-glare coating that is not to be cleaned with anything other than soap and water. If it has been cleaned with anything other than soap and water the coating will start to peel and scratch. The glare coating is very easily scratched and it even rubs off once it has been scratched. Even if you clean the panels with a microfiber towel you must be very careful. I tore mine up using soap and water and the microfiber cleaning towel I got with my Apple 23" LCD display thinking that would be the best thing to use. It appears that this coating is very, very fragile and IMHO really something that should not be in a $64,000 car.

Lexus really doesn't want to replace any of these screens. I had a Lexus district manager turn me down saying it had been cleaned with something other than soap and water even though that was not the case. I did get the matter resolved by going to Lexus Corporate and they over ruled the district guy. This however does not solve the ongoing issue of how to clean these things. A few things to try to remember:

If you go to a car wash close the radio and the nav and tell the folks not to clean the radio. (good luck on that one!!)

If you are doing it yourself, soap and water and nothing else. Find the softest towel you can and be very careful. I'd stay away from microfiber and try to find something very soft and absorbent. Now that I’m totally paranoid about this coating, I’ve been somewhat successful at dabbing the soap and water off rather than wiping it.

Don’t wear polarized sunglasses in the car. You’ll see the scratches much better if you do!

Anyone that would like to rant about why we have to put up with this kind of stuff in a $64,000 car is more than welcome to sound off. I’m pretty hot about it myself and I used that argument to get Lexus Corporate to replace the part.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Navigation Screen/Scratches on lcd (Merged thread)