SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cracking/clicking noise from front when stirring wheel turned all the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 05:07 AM
dennishs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking/clicking noise from front when stirring wheel turned all the way

Whenever I turn my stirring wheel all the way, like when circling in a parking lot, I hear some clicking and clunking from the front of my car (towards the side where the wheels are, but not sure the exact location), with my foot slightly pressure the brake paddle to slow the car.

I usually tap my brakes to slow down the car when I turn like that, but I'm not sure if the noise occurs without tapping the brake.

I thought this may be a CV joint problem?
but I don't think the CV Joints are located in the front side because its a RWD ?

what could be causing this nosie?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2004 SC430.

Last edited by dennishs; 05-02-14 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 05:59 AM
dennishs
Driver School Candidate

Clunking/clicking is probably not a good way to describe the nosie.

it's more like cracking noise, but not constant, sounds like it cracks a few times while the vehicle is turning

that kind of noise
Old 05-02-14, 07:08 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not uncommon to get creaking noises with the steering wheel turned all the way to the lock. I haven't noticed it so much on the SC, but my Ford vehicles (Taurus and Freestyle) always complain in a locked-out turn. There are a lot of things that can creak and groan - tie rod ends (but that would mean they are dry and need replacing), ball joints, and maybe even the bushings holding the steering rack could be candidates. No strut bearings on the SC, or they would be a candidate too. So anything in the steering mechanisms that pivot while supporting the weight of the vehicle are prime suspects. I wound't worry too much about the occassional creak/groan.

However, with that said, check your front tire wear, as it may reveal worn suspension/steering elements. Next, it wouldn't hurt to jack up one side at a time and grab the tire (top and bottom, then each side) and try to wiggle. If you feel any play, you need to dig deeper and look at worn ball joints, etc.

Last edited by kjcole; 05-02-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 10:29 PM
dennishs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response.

I investigated the noise a bit further...

1) It's more like a clicking sound, like clock tick, but just a little faster and loud, and sounds like its coming from the front bottom of the car, maybe towards the wheels
when I turn the wheel all the way as I am turning and going forward, i hear click ... click ... click ...

2) It occurs whether I tap the brakes or not, not dependent on braking

3) It occurs on either left or right turn, but only when I turn the wheel almost all the way to the end, but sometimes it occurs right before I turn the stirring wheel all the way

4) it occurs sometimes, sometimes it doesnt. not every time, and only seem to occur going forward

Any idea what could be causing this or what to ask the dealer to check for?

Last edited by dennishs; 05-04-14 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-05-14, 07:57 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have that sound, it seems to be coming from the castor arm.. mines started after i changed bushing to poly.. when i turn steering, I hear it.. I think the stiff poly pushes the sleeve around when turning..
Old 05-05-14, 08:08 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dennishs
I thought this may be a CV joint problem?
but I don't think the CV Joints are located in the front side because its a RWD ?
Almost correct. There are no CV joints because it is RWD.
Old 06-25-14, 11:52 PM
Longst
Driver School Candidate

Default Cracking ticking noise

Originally Posted by dennishs
Thanks for the response.

I investigated the noise a bit further...

1) It's more like a clicking sound, like clock tick, but just a little faster and loud, and sounds like its coming from the front bottom of the car, maybe towards the wheels
when I turn the wheel all the way as I am turning and going forward, i hear click ... click ... click ...

2) It occurs whether I tap the brakes or not, not dependent on braking

3) It occurs on either left or right turn, but only when I turn the wheel almost all the way to the end, but sometimes it occurs right before I turn the stirring wheel all the way

4) it occurs sometimes, sometimes it doesnt. not every time, and only seem to occur going forward

Any idea what could be causing this or what to ask the dealer to check for?
I just joined this site. So I hope I'm responding correctly. I hear that exact noise as you described. My husband can't hear what I'm talking about. I hope you can find the cause. I would really like to know also. :/
Old 06-26-14, 06:55 PM
dennishs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Longst
I just joined this site. So I hope I'm responding correctly. I hear that exact noise as you described. My husband can't hear what I'm talking about. I hope you can find the cause. I would really like to know also. :/
Here's the follow up

Even though I had gotten a few opinions from private mechanics, I took it back to lexus dealer, because I saw a service bulletin regarding abnormal front noise TSB SU003-02. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-03-sc430.html

Not sure if this was the root cause, but after certified mechanics at the dealer adjusted bolt tightening torque of mounting hardware and suspension system, the noise went away. I've not heard it since. There was no charge for check up and adjustment and according to them this is not a serious problem.

However, I strongly recommend having it checked ASAP when you hear this type of noise because according to lexus mechanics it could have been caused by more serious problems.

You can't miss the noise, it's loud.