SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replace the runflats!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 04:27 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace the runflats!

OK, I know there's no zealot like a recent convert, but still...

Swapped the stock Potenza's for Pilot Sport A/S -- and I could tell the difference pulling out of the parking space. Another 50 miles and I'm happier every mile. Steering is better, road feel is better, noise level is lower, if not as quiet as I would like. The whole car feels much more lively. I'm a cheapskate (hard to say that with a straight face while owning this car ), and it took me two months to bite the bullet, but the Costco sale pushed me over the edge (knocked the price down to $996.96 -- whoo hooo! ) - but it was a good choice in terms of increased pleasure in the car.

I would have gone with Sumitomo HTR+ (~$300 cheaper) if I lived in a less soggy locale - tests very similar to the Pilots, except in the wet.

I highly recommend changing the older runflats - seems such a shame what they do to this car.

I may still trade performance for noise, even if it means 17" wheels and Turanza-LZ's, but I will try this for a year first.
Old 02-02-03, 11:07 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Does anyone in here like the runflats. I just got my SC430 and I can't notice any complaints with these tires. It seems that everyone hates them. The only thing I don't like about the car are the rims.
Old 02-02-03, 07:07 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default ARE PILOT SPORT RUN-FLAT?

SCamp;
Are Michelin Pilot Sport tires run-flat or conventional?
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-02-03, 08:43 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

The Pilot Sport A/S is not a runflat tire. After knocking on real wood, I note that the last flat tire I had was circa 1985, only a couple of slow leaks since then - so I'm running without a spare.

No cellphone, either

There are a few other runflat tires - the early Potenza's appear to be particularly dislikable.
Old 02-02-03, 09:56 PM
fetalsono
Driver School Candidate

Default Run-flat replacement question

Does putting on non-runflat tires, require changing the rims. I had a Lexus GS300 with regular tires. When I replaced the tires at a ruputable tire place before selling, it was a nightmare. They said the Lexus rims had some sort of beading that made putting the new tires on and getting a seal extremely difficult. I would imagine it would be the same or worse with these rims. If you used the same rims, did a tire dealer put them on or a Lexus dealer?

Thanks

Peter
pwc@itsa.ucsf.edu
Old 02-02-03, 10:39 PM
SCamp
Driver School Candidate

No change of rims required, and the pressure sensors are also just fine w/ conventional tires. Moving the pressure sensors to new rims may or may not work, depending on the valve.

Costco did have a bear of a time changing the tires (about 3 hours), and added one new scratch (fortunately, to the one rim that was already dinged when I bought the car). I walked in right behind a lady with a Jaguar w/ 18" rims, and apparently hers were the real problem, but they couldn't do both simultaneously. I ended up talking to the guys for the last twenty minutes (the store had closed), and they were all drenched in sweat - in ~50F weather w/ all the bays open. Makes me glad for a cushy office job and getting my aerobic exercise on my own time.
Old 02-05-03, 06:00 AM
fetalsono
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone in SF area put on Michelins??

Putting on any tires on a Lexus is a real pain and especially this car (I am told). Is there a tire dealer in the SF Bay area (I actually live in Marin county) that has experience putting on Michelins on a SC430?

Thanks

Peter
pwc@itsa.ucsf.edu
Old 02-12-03, 07:42 PM
kream7
Driver School Candidate

Default runflats?

So what happens when you get a flat at 2 in the morning now? Did you buy the tire kit (donut kit)to fit in the back in even smaller trunk space now, or are you just going to wing it when you get a flat? I agree the runflats are hard and noisy, but it seems converting over to conventional tires you would have to buy 4 and a spare or the donut kit to fit in the trunk now?
Old 02-13-03, 05:04 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dilemma

Y'now, this whole wheel/tire thing is really disconcerting. The runflats are too uncomfortable and, if one goes flat, it has to be replaced. So you swap them for conventional tires which ride more comfortably, but if you get a flat you use Fix-A-Flat (which ruins the sensor) and a portable air pump to get you somewhere to have it repaired. On the other hand, you can purchase the trunk spare kit at an outrageous price and lose virtually all of your top-down trunk room.

Seems that one of us (can't recall who it was, sorry) recently wrote that tires are extremely difficult to replace on those wheels - did I read that it took two guys three hours to do this? Perhaps the dealer can do a better and quicker job but, in my case, the closest dealer is 80 miles away and *my* dealer is 150 miles away.

I sure would like a "best solution" to the problem. I'd love to replace these solid rubber tires with Michelins this summer.

If I appear to be whining, you're right.
Old 02-13-03, 07:07 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's the difficulty in changing the tires on this car ?
Old 02-13-03, 07:15 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Sheesh ... I can't believe the post that I referred to is SCamp's which is not too far from this one.

I gotta do something about my memory.
Old 02-13-03, 11:34 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally posted by Larry
What's the difficulty in changing the tires on this car ?
My understanding is that because they are RF's, only certain shops with special equipment can change them.
Old 02-13-03, 01:01 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Since my post, I've been to the local Honda dealer where my friend is the service manager. He said that the tire changing problem is due to the extremely low profile of the runflats or ANY tire with a very low profile. Until I talked with him, I assumed it was the wheel, not the tire.
Old 02-13-03, 02:05 PM
fetalsono
Driver School Candidate

While the runflat tires may be part of the problem in changing them, in my experience with another Lexus car it is the rims. The rims on this car and some of the other Lexus models have some sort of "beading" or ridges on the rim that make it difficult to get a good seal. When I had regular non-runflats put on a Lexus GS300, it took them over 1 1/2 hours to put them on to try to get a seal. They ended up using so much of the " grease" that this stuff went into the tires and threw the tires out of balance. This was a reputable tire dealer that has been in business for over 20 years. So if you are going to have it done talk to someone that has done so and maybe ask them where they had it done. I would love to know the answer to this. I live in the San Francisco bay area (Marin).
Old 02-13-03, 02:31 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacement tires---done

Just came back from Lexus dealer...riding on my new Michelin Pilot Sports A/S.... SWEET. After 21,000 miles on my original Bridgestone RF's (still with about 5000 miles of tread left),... my spine can finally relax. Spare kit, with donut wheel/tire and cover look good back there.....As I mentioned in another thread, my service manager picked up the tires at Discount Tires..Lexus did the mounting, balancing, attaching the sensors, etc...He gave me a "good customer" 50% discount on spare/kit(several do-dads)/wheel cover and labor......everything, including tires, under $1600. Should have done this 21,000 miles ago!!!!

Quick Reply: Replace the runflats!