SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Loose battery terminal now cant reconnect!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 07:14 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loose battery terminal now cant reconnect!

I have my SC stored outside in the cold (10 deg F) because my garage is full of kitchen cabinets at the moment. I try to start it up every 3-4 days.
I tried to start it up today and nothing. I figured the battery went dead from the cold weather.
I check the terminals and the + side is moveable. I turn it and it wedges on tight.
I put my charger on it and after a 20 seconds or so the car starts to go into alarm and I cant get it to turn off by the key.
I panic and decided to pull off the + terminal to get it to stop. I charge the battery and it didn't seem to need much charging. I re connect the + terminal and I get the alarm... Seems like it was having electrical convulsions. I pulled the terminal and left it disconnected. I hope I can re connect this in warmer weather without any problems or did I really screw things up?
Old 01-25-14, 06:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I am truly scratching my head on this one. Did you turn it on and the alarm was still going?
Old 01-25-14, 07:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I am truly scratching my head on this one. Did you turn it on and the alarm was still going?
I think the car alarm is set up so if the battery cable is pulled the alarm will go off if it was in alarm mode to start with, Its in the manual if someone pulls and disconnects your battery there is another battery somewhere that allows the alarm to go off. I am not sure where it is located This would explain the alarm sounding but it does not explain why your battery is so low unless its been taxed by the weather and may need to be replaced
Old 01-25-14, 09:53 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mandyfig
After charging a short time with + disconnected. I then removed the charger. I re connected + "without the key in" and it just started going nuts, relays clicking lights flashing and horn going nuts.

I will reconnect today its a warmer ( 25 deg F ) and let you know what happens.
Old 01-25-14, 11:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmezo
After charging a short time with + disconnected. I then removed the charger. I re connected + "without the key in" and it just started going nuts, relays clicking lights flashing and horn going nuts.

I will reconnect today its a warmer ( 25 deg F ) and let you know what happens.
If it does that again try unlocking your door with the remote key fob that will turn off the alarm if the security was armed.
Old 01-25-14, 11:05 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
If it does that again try unlocking your door with the remote key fob that will turn off the alarm if the security was armed.
I'm guessing this MB's solution will fix it. If not, just to eliminate the wireless aspect, unlock the door with the physical key.

For whatever reason it is in alarm mode. You just need to get it out of alarm mode.

If none of this works, note what the "security light" is doing (i.e. blinking, off, or on) and report back.
Old 01-25-14, 05:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...try this that Blister suggested, somehow you've probably got something out of sequence & just need to get it back in order. This happened to me once before, but not because of the weather. I think all you'll have to do is hit the unlock button & it should fix it...hopefully
Old 01-25-14, 05:30 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I'm guessing this MB's solution will fix it. If not, just to eliminate the wireless aspect, unlock the door with the physical key.

For whatever reason it is in alarm mode. You just need to get it out of alarm mode.

If none of this works, note what the "security light" is doing (i.e. blinking, off, or on) and report back.
I gave the battery a good long charging. Connected it up and all was quiet for 3-5 seconds then the alarm went on. I think the battery is no longer able to hold a charge.
After looking at my charger it has a green LED charging light that indicates when it is charging the battery. Well the LED goes on and off at the same time interval that the horn goes on and off.

I have no proof but I think the battery is shorting internally somehow causing the charge circuit to go on and off.
This may be causing the car to go on and off as well.

I will need to get a jump (bypassing the battery completely) since the car is not in a spot that I can jump it looks like I will need to get a new battery. I purchased the car in May so I have no idea how old the battery is.

I also found that the + terminal will not adjust any tighter so I think this is and the cold weather prevented the battery to charge. I'm not sure but if a gell cell battery goes below 5 volts it may never come back.
Old 01-26-14, 12:59 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave the battery a good long charging. Connected it up and all was quiet for 3-5 seconds then the alarm went on. I think the battery is no longer able to hold a charge.
After looking at my charger it has a green LED charging light that indicates when it is charging the battery. Well the LED goes on and off at the same time interval that the horn goes on and off.

I have no proof but I think the battery is shorting internally somehow causing the charge circuit to go on and off.
This may be causing the car to go on and off as well.

I will need to get a jump (bypassing the battery completely) since the car is not in a spot that I can jump it looks like I will need to get a new battery. I purchased the car in May so I have no idea how old the battery is.

I also found that the + terminal will not adjust any tighter so I think this is and the cold weather prevented the battery to charge. I'm not sure but if a gell cell battery goes below 5 volts it may never come back.
I can't tell from your post for sure, but it sounds like you are thinking of jumping the car without the battery. Do not do this, as the battery acts as a surge suppressor and absorbs variations and spikes in voltage output from the alternator. Running the car without the battery attached can cause serious harm to electrical components.

You mentioned a gel battery. If indeed you have either a true gel battery or an absorbed glass mat battery it was installed incorrectly in the engine compartment of an SC430. These batteries are designed for mounting away from heat and cannot survive long mounted next to the engine. When you replace it make sure you purchase a traditional flooded lead acid type battery.

As a previous poster stated, the alarm likely will be in a fixed mode and interruption of power will not turn it off. Connecting a new battery and then using the key fob or key in the door will likely turn it off. If you have a second key also have that ready to try if the first key does not turn it off.
Old 01-26-14, 05:18 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

So far the key fob has not been able to reset the alarm. I will put a key in the door and try that.
I will also get a new standard battery and report back.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-14, 07:09 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The part number for the positive battery terminal is 9098205040

It's used on several Toyota and Lexus cars. Buy it from a local Toyota dealer or you can find it online for about $20.

JR
Old 01-26-14, 10:00 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Making progress!
I have one of those Harbor Freight jumping boxes so I (bypassed the car battery) and connected it up.
With the key in the door the car still went into alarm but now the horn was very strong and I did not hear any relays clicking....

Then I tried again key fob in hand, had to press panic button to get it to stop the alarm but it did stop.
I then was able to start the car with this jump box. I was surprised to have it start on this but it did.

I think the cold weather has had an effect on the key fob. I now recall that when I used it to unlock the door last week I had to press it several times to get it to work. Not sure now if it was the car battery or the fob battery yet.

Now to get a new terminal and battery. The battery may wait till spring.
Old 01-26-14, 07:53 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Making progress!
I have one of those Harbor Freight jumping boxes so I (bypassed the car battery) and connected it up.
With the key in the door the car still went into alarm but now the horn was very strong and I did not hear any relays clicking....

Then I tried again key fob in hand, had to press panic button to get it to stop the alarm but it did stop.
I then was able to start the car with this jump box. I was surprised to have it start on this but it did.

I think the cold weather has had an effect on the key fob. I now recall that when I used it to unlock the door last week I had to press it several times to get it to work. Not sure now if it was the car battery or the fob battery yet.

Now to get a new terminal and battery. The battery may wait till spring.
The panic button would trip the horn not turn it off, Did you try to unlock the doors with the key fob that also disarms the alarm
Old 01-26-14, 08:01 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

The panic button would trip the horn not turn it off, Did you try to unlock the doors with the key fob that also disarms the alarm
The unlock door button did not stop it and the key in the door did not stop it only the panic button made it stop.
Old 01-26-14, 08:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

The unlock door button did not stop it and the key in the door did not stop it only the panic button made it stop.

Well I am at a loss. I feel your problem is still related to security .

Quick Reply: Loose battery terminal now cant reconnect!