SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A problem that stumps my mechanic.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 06:55 PM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A problem that stumps my mechanic.

My sc430 2002 would not start after sitting 10 days at the airport. I got a jump and it ran good for two months. No problems. I left town for one week and it wouldn't start again. Starter would go click,click,click like when the battery is dead. I charged it again and it ran fine. Then last week I didn't drive it for two days and again click,click,click. I charged the battery, the dash lights light up and then click,click,click. The battery showed 12.5 v. I jumped the battery with my wife's car and it started right up and starts and runs fine.
I took it to the Toyota service and he said there was no parasitic draw on the battery, that the battery was fully charged. He said it could be the starter, but he tried it many times and it worked without fail.
He was stumped that it only failed to start after it had been sitting, but without a parasitic drain.
Another mechanic said it may be the starter and the reason it started with the jump was because it has 24 volts going to it.
Anyone have any ideas? To replace the starter is $800 so I don't want to do it unless I have to,
Old 01-16-14, 07:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

if u leave a lexus sitting for a few days u can find your battery dead, seems like you don't have any problems at all other then a weak battery

your starter seems fine
Old 01-16-14, 07:38 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Weak battery

Originally Posted by igorxx
Another mechanic said it may be the starter and the reason it started with the jump was because it has 24 volts going to it.
Don't walk, run away from this idiot. There's a very strong likelihood your starter is just fine. Like 1WILLY1 said, you've just got yourself a weak battery. A new battery should solve your problem.

StillLine
Old 01-16-14, 10:30 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by igorxx
RUN away from this guy.. jumping a car should have been in parallel wiring which wouldnt make it 24 volts.. car jumped because the had higher amps.. you just have bad battery most likely.. get a new battery with higher cranking amps..
Old 01-17-14, 12:00 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Agree with other posters to stay away from that mechanic. 24V??? Where did he get that idea?

Generally, if the starter makes one click when you turn the key that means the solenoid on the starter is pulling the starter gear into the fly wheel and closing a contact which delivers voltage to the starter motor.

If the motor doesn't crank the most likely possibility is there is not enough voltage to turn the starter motor. The battery is too weak.

The second possibility is that the brushes are worn on the starter and connection is becoming intermittent. If you want to test this possibility and you can reach the starter give it a whack with a hammer or a hard poke with a stick. If it starts it is probably worn brushes in the motor.

But the fact that it won't start after sitting several days strongly suggests battery dying.
Old 01-17-14, 05:35 AM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had THE exact same problem. Get a new battery.
Old 01-17-14, 06:19 AM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternator bad..?
Old 01-17-14, 07:01 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have the battery load tested. Any place that sells batteries should be equipped to do so.

Simply measuring the voltage isn't enough, and, btw, 12.5 v is low.

Like the other posters, I'm voting for the battery. A simple load test should tell. If the battery checks out, then you can have someone test alternator output, check to make sure grounds are secure, check connections at the starter, and so on.
Old 01-17-14, 07:47 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

replace your battery
Old 01-17-14, 09:56 AM
tdedden
Rookie

My '02 SC 430 sits for a few weeks at a time with no driving and starts every time. I'm sure it's because of the new battery which was probably installed by the dealer prior to my acquiring it in November.
Old 01-17-14, 10:12 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Not unusual for a cell to go bad - sulfating and vibration. Plus, newer batteries don't like to be run down to nothing. It does shorten their life. I ran for nearly two years on a battery with one bad cell. Slow cranking speed and couldn't sit for more than a week without starting. Finally discovered the dry cell (a Lexus battery, not maintenance-free btw), replaced with a nothing-fancy battery from Walmart and zing - amps to spare even on sub-zero days/nights.
Old 01-17-14, 10:42 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Next time you get the "Click, click, click" thing. Do this simple test...

Take one boost cable and connect it from the battery neg directly to the engine (I suggest one of the lifting hooks), and try starting the car.

If it starts, it's the engine's grounding strap that is broken. it happened to me once...
Old 01-17-14, 11:03 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Buy a Battery Tender for those periods when the car isn't driven much.
Old 01-17-14, 01:11 PM
igorxx
Driver

I took everyones advise. Went back where I bought the battery and they gave me a new one. Hope that is the end of my problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-14, 01:32 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

like we said the BATTERY

Quick Reply: A problem that stumps my mechanic.