SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Plastic wood trim piece on door

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 06:59 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plastic wood trim piece on door

I need to replace the plastic wood trim piece where the seat and steering wheel programming buttons sit. It appears that there are several bronze screws that hold the trim piece in place but after I removed about eight of them the piece did not budge. Also, if it is permanently attached to the leather below it the job isn't worth doing since the leather condition is why I replaced the panel in the first place.

Has anyone taken a door panel apart before?
Old 12-26-13, 10:29 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisv78
I need to replace the plastic wood trim piece where the seat and steering wheel programming buttons sit. It appears that there are several bronze screws that hold the trim piece in place but after I removed about eight of them the piece did not budge. Also, if it is permanently attached to the leather below it the job isn't worth doing since the leather condition is why I replaced the panel in the first place.

Has anyone taken a door panel apart before?
There is no steering wheel programing on the door unless you just mean the seat memory buttons
They set the mirror position seat position as well as your preference for the steering wheel. I have had my door panel off and as best as I can remember the wood panel is removable. You might have some glue to deal with.? Not sure
Old 12-26-13, 12:09 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I've taken my panel off quite bit and think the part you're referring to is glued into the leather, and if you remove the screws the glue will still hold it in place. If you try to force it out, it will distort the leather. Not worth the change in my opinion, if it could destroy the leather. I believe there are other ways to refinish the woodgrain though.
Old 12-26-13, 12:25 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I've taken my panel off quite bit and think the part you're referring to is glued into the leather, and if you remove the screws the glue will still hold it in place. If you try to force it out, it will distort the leather. Not worth the change in my opinion, if it could destroy the leather. I believe there are other ways to refinish the woodgrain though.
Fishing line and goo gone to the rescue. I would think a good upholstery shop might be able to help you reff removing the wood trim piece
Old 12-26-13, 12:39 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was what I meant ... Preference programming. Anyway that was an easy fix. Out went the cracked plastic. In went the good one.