Register Forgot Password?

Plastic wood trim piece on door

Old 12-26-13, 06:59 AM   #1
chrisv78
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to chrisv78
Default Plastic wood trim piece on door

I need to replace the plastic wood trim piece where the seat and steering wheel programming buttons sit. It appears that there are several bronze screws that hold the trim piece in place but after I removed about eight of them the piece did not budge. Also, if it is permanently attached to the leather below it the job isn't worth doing since the leather condition is why I replaced the panel in the first place.

Has anyone taken a door panel apart before?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
chrisv78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 10:29 AM   #2
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv78 View Post
I need to replace the plastic wood trim piece where the seat and steering wheel programming buttons sit. It appears that there are several bronze screws that hold the trim piece in place but after I removed about eight of them the piece did not budge. Also, if it is permanently attached to the leather below it the job isn't worth doing since the leather condition is why I replaced the panel in the first place.

Has anyone taken a door panel apart before?
There is no steering wheel programing on the door unless you just mean the seat memory buttons
They set the mirror position seat position as well as your preference for the steering wheel. I have had my door panel off and as best as I can remember the wood panel is removable. You might have some glue to deal with.? Not sure
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 12:09 PM   #3
ShawnOk
Lead Lap

I've taken my panel off quite bit and think the part you're referring to is glued into the leather, and if you remove the screws the glue will still hold it in place. If you try to force it out, it will distort the leather. Not worth the change in my opinion, if it could destroy the leather. I believe there are other ways to refinish the woodgrain though.
Old 12-26-13, 12:25 PM   #4
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnOk View Post
I've taken my panel off quite bit and think the part you're referring to is glued into the leather, and if you remove the screws the glue will still hold it in place. If you try to force it out, it will distort the leather. Not worth the change in my opinion, if it could destroy the leather. I believe there are other ways to refinish the woodgrain though.
Fishing line and goo gone to the rescue. I would think a good upholstery shop might be able to help you reff removing the wood trim piece
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 12:39 PM   #5
chrisv78
Driver

Send a message via Skype™ to chrisv78

That was what I meant ... Preference programming. Anyway that was an easy fix. Out went the cracked plastic. In went the good one.
chrisv78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13, 12:39 PM

Tags
430, door, gs, lexus, panel, plastic, trimming