SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

It's been fun...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 10:11 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been fun...

Well the wife was involved in a hit and run accident today. There was a wreck and as she was coming to a stop to try and avoid it the vehicle in front of her was backing up to flee from the scene. He backed into her and ran up on the hood, pulled forward and backed into her again before taking off from the scene. Unfortunately nobody got a plate number, would have been the first thing I did, and it was a white f-150. There's only a couple million of those in Houston!!! Most likely will not be found, and I am fairly certain that the car will be totaled out since it is a 10 year old vehicle and a Lexus, $$$. We will see what they offer me for it. Anyway I will not be getting another one so this will probably be my last post here. Thank you guys for all your help on my questions, and I hope I was able to add a little help where I could as well. I just bought the Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner from Sewell along with the vent by the drivers leg, as well as the subwoofer repair surround, go figure... didn't get to use any of them.
Old 11-06-13, 11:17 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Sorry to hear about the accident, I hope your wife is ok. The same thing happened to my wife several years ago, we took a hit on the comprehensive side of the insurance. I know it sucks, but atleast she wasn't hurt in the accident.

I hope everything works out as one Houstonian to another...
Old 11-07-13, 06:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

A couple of years ago it happened to me. Not my fault, it was the same front damage. Luck was on our side 9 wifey was with me) that nobody got hurt and the Sc was restored to a better state, yes I am sure about the statement. Goe me new fronts (including the headlamps).
Old 11-07-13, 06:22 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your car.

I think the real problem I'd have, in a situation like that is, my first instinct wouldn't be to get the plate number...it would be the floor the gas, chase the sum***** down, and run his azz off the road.

Yes, I know this is the WRONG thing to do, and I'd probably get in a bit of trouble for that.
Old 11-07-13, 06:30 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Habious:
The cherry on your sundae would have been to end your post with a reference to the recent discussion about how to best (or whether) to carry a loaded handgun in the car: "Gun vault and/or mount."
But you'd probably get in a bit of trouble for that . . .
Old 11-07-13, 09:14 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in a hit and run about 6 years ago. Some idiot (probably drunk) tried to pass me in the bus lane, which is only 100 feet or so, and clipped my front fender.

I got his license plate and was chasing him when I called 911. He was in an old truck and there was no way he was getting away. But the 911 operator told me that if I didn't stop chasing him, I could be arrested. So I let him go.

I gave the cop his license plate number and a description. He said he'd go arrest him. When I followed up a couple days later, the person I spoke to said that cop's shift was ending and the guy lived on the other side of town, so they sent him a certified letter instead.

When I followed up a couple weeks later, they said the letter was returned unopened so there was nothing they could do. Which only reinforced my opinion of the police.
Old 11-07-13, 11:35 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I witnessed a hit and run several years ago. I followed to car and stayed about 1/2 block behind. I called 911 on my cell and stayed on the phone with them through 6 different police agencies.

Yes I carry a gun but I'm not a fool or hero. At one point he pulled into an alley and stopped. I did not go into the alley but waited for him to pull away.

The guy finally got on the Florida Turnpike and it was cool to see a trooper on the side of the road who pulled out and pull him over. I pulled over and gave the trooper my info.

JR
Old 11-07-13, 12:06 PM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM me if you want to get an estimate. Funsize got rear ended in July near Clear Lake (Houston), and, like Mandyfig, found a mechanic who made my car much better than it was. If you want his name, I will forward it to you. The fix took 8 weeks, but I am so glad I did it. I know the car won't be worth what it was, but it will still be as fun!
Old 11-07-13, 12:21 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like a scary story..

*******s these days.
Old 11-07-13, 04:12 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Well, it's astonishing to see the number of uninsured motorist in Houston, the 4th largest metropolitan in the US. It's probably best to chalk this up to a bad day(s) and move on. I don't think you're going to gain anything by fueling anger and dwelling on material possessions. As long as everyone is okay, you can replace everything later when you're ready.
Old 11-07-13, 07:26 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

At this point I'm kind of hoping it will be totaled, we were looking to sell soon and I would rather not have to deal with having to sell a car that was recently in a wreck. I was thinking that It will probably be totaled but we will see. If we do end up having it repaired it will look better than before, even though it was pretty clean, minus a couple rock chips in the front, and a small scratch behind the drivers door where a drunk girl crashed into it on her bicycle in New Orleans a couple weeks ago. Wasn't in town even 5 minutes, it was at the first light I came to. If I was in the car at the time of the accident I can guarantee that I would have gotten the plate number at a minimum. I do carry a 1911 .45 with me at all times, but I don't think I would use it to stop someone from leaving the scene, though after the second time he backed into the car and came up on the hood it would be borderline self defense. As a former Marine I don't really know how far I would have taken it until i'm actually in the situation, considering my daughter was in the car at the time I don't think I would brandish my firearm and freak her out in that way. If I was by myself then it would be really tempting to take out a tire while he was trying to flee the scene, though I don't know what the repercussions for that would be. The car was out of commission so a chase was not an option. We will see what the adjuster says in a day or two. At a minimum it will need new lights, front bumper and all inner supporting gear, headlight washers, drivers fender, radiator, a/c condenser, hood, front support for radiator, radio c/d player is shot. Then add in the labor costs for all of the above. Doubt there was any frame damage because the hit was so high up, but you never know. Best scenario for me they claim a total loss and give me a fair price on the car to put towards a new car, next choice would be to have it repaired and shiny and clean and then try to sell it. Should have an update in a couple days, go and pick out a rental car tomorrow. I was surprised that nobody helped out and got a plate number or followed the guy to get it. Thank you for the info on a good shop to get it repaired, if it comes to that I may be shooting you a pm about it. I don't think I can wait 8 weeks to get it turned around though.
Old 11-08-13, 07:02 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear man... I go to Houston all the time like once a week... No doubt there are some crazy drivers there...

Sad to see the car go !
Old 11-09-13, 11:18 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

byrnech, sorry to hear about the wreck, but I'm glad to hear that your wife came out okay. I hope the insurance company treats you well. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-09-13, 07:59 PM
LovezLexus
Driver

I live in Katy, so we're not that far off. I've always wanted an SC. If you don't go through the insurance, I would LOVE to buy it off you.
Old 12-24-13, 09:17 PM
byrnech
Driver School Candidate

It's been a while so I thought I would update. The car was totaled out. We came out ok on it, insurance gave us $14,900 for it. Paid 14k for it when I bought it last year. If anyone is interested I had recently bought some parts for it that I never got to install, I would like to get rid of it all in one package if possible. Water Pump, timing belt, subwoofer surround, lexus leather cleaner and treatment all new in the box. I also have 4 pie dish wheel covers one is missing the lexus emblem. Please let me know if anyone is interested, will let go for a very good price. Otherwise I will just put it all on eBay. Thanks guys, -Chris

Quick Reply: It's been fun...