SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

help, dealer cant figure it out!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 08:32 AM
eliotd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, dealer cant figure it out!!

brought car in for clunk noise in front, finally got that fixed but they changed A few suspension parts in the process... now whenever it is driven, the car is all over the road!!! the car drifts to one side, so you slightly adjust the steering wheel to center it back in the lane and the car drifts the other direction!!! I thought one of the run flats was flat (maybe indicator faulty) but tire pressure good in all 4 wheels. feels like the car is correcting itself when it doesn't need it! Wife is afraid to drive it as it is a white knuckle drive and doesn't know which way the car will go! Thought maybe it was the VSC, so we hit the button on the console and the car drives fine!!! Put the vsc back on and car goes wherever it chooses to go!!! Dealer and factory rep tested car, doesn't find anything wrong!!!???!!!
Has anybody heard of this, had similar problem, or have any idea about it? Front shocks changed, two new tires on rear, alignment done and rechecked, mechanic says rack and vsc both check out OK! car was not like this before! car is CPO and they have tried to find and fix and no complaints for effort but we bought a SC convertible, not a Lexus loaner variety package and wife is sick of ES, CT, IS, and RX and just wants to drive her SC!!! Any help would be appreciated as I could not find any solutions in my searches. thanks for the input!

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-22-13, 10:55 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotate your tires front to back, recheck your toe and camber. Those will be my guess. Best of luck and let us know what happen.
Old 10-22-13, 08:04 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Have the sub-frame bolts checked for tightness. Mine were loose and caused similar behavior. Only four bolts connect the sub-frame to the chassis. These bolts are not usually checked when doing an alignment. If they're loose then they can do an alignment but it won't hold one. Good luck.
Old 10-23-13, 08:05 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RUN FLATS????

This would have been a perfect opportunity to ditch the run flats and install a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. You're in Florida so you don't need winter tires. The SuperSports make the car ride SOOOO SMOOOOTH. they track straight, they are quiet and the car glides over bumps.

Most dealers and/or tire manufactures have a 30 day ride guarantee where you can swap tires out for no charge.

I dumped my run flats on both of our SC430s and would never go back. I keep a Lexus Emergency tire repair and compressor kit in the trunk when local and when on trips throw a Mazda rx8 temp spare in the trunk.

Here's link to the tire repair kit. If you register with Sewell Alex's using your Club Lexus ID it's only $66.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/4343.html
Old 10-23-13, 08:25 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see in a previous posting that you are in St Pete.

I had my Michelin Pilot Super Sports installed at Kaufman Tires in Lakewood Ranch (Bradenton east). They have good store in St Pete also which was recommended to me by another Club Lexus member.

The Lexus Dealer that is owned by Autonation in your area had a SC430 CPO that I made a deal on site unseen. I drove up with a check in hand to pick it upland walked away. The car paint was in horrible condition. It had love bug etching in the paint, cracked radio face plate and both bumpers were scratched significantly.

JR
Old 10-23-13, 10:32 AM
eliotd
Rookie

The car we got was brought over from their sister dealership in Tampa, and I have come to be very surprised how they were able to certify it with things we have found in the last year but the service in Clearwater has been wonderful. Although they do not see the problem, they keep trying and even though there are no codes they reset the vsc unit, rechecked the alignment again, and rotated the newer tires to the front after the head mechanic, service adviser and the factory rep all drove it and said it was fine. Something worked as it is now driving fine and straight! I think the reset did it, but we will never know, but ten hours of driving and checking this week finally paid off, and the car is back on the road, fun to drive and getting compliments everywhere we go!

Old 10-23-13, 10:41 AM
eliotd
Rookie

BB430 may have been right with the tire rotation front to back! thanks for the suggestions. I'm just glad to get rid of the loaners! just under 2 years or 31000 miles left on the CPO, not bad for an 06!!!

Old 10-28-13, 04:01 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
Rotate your tires front to back, recheck your toe and camber. Those will be my guess. Best of luck and let us know what happen.
:thumbup that's what I was thinking. Good advice.