SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to tell bushings need replacement?

Old 10-15-13, 12:15 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to tell bushings need replacement?

I just bought a 2002 SC430 from a Lexus dealership with only 35k miles. The car comes with a one month warranty against all parts including suspension.

Having read about the bushing problems; is there a sure fire way to indicate that they are bad/damaged/worn etc?
Old 10-15-13, 03:15 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that vehicle is 'only' 10/11 years old but the fact that it has such little mileage, one could say that it is only 3 years old (12,000 miles per year.)
pretty sure your bushings are in good shape.

however, usually you can tell by putting the car on a rack/jackstands
and visually inspecting the bushings. the wear will be apparent but you will have to know what the original shape of the bushings is supposed to be. you should also replace cracked bushings.

and another way that sometimes works is if you can shake the component or if there is excessive play at that certain point .
Old 10-16-13, 08:50 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my steering wheel had play in it and my castor arm bushings were pretty bad also..

on an uneven road when coming to a light, while braking I would be pulling my steering wheel to a side while one wheel is being pulled one direction and other in another. Its not easy to describe but you should be able to tell when driving. I mean obviously the car gets pulled to the angle of the road but your steering should not have a loose feeling to it where you have to turn or pull 1 to 2 inches extra. Its a very unsafe feeling. As for the castor arm I felt that each wheel was doing something else like it wasnt intact with each other.. a slight uneven surface and I could feel the wheels pull me in different directions lol felt like a beluga whale struggling in a strong current :P I think the easiest way to check steering would be while stopped, slightly move steering left and right and see how much play it has before the tires start moving.

My allignment could never be done perfectly either, steering would always be off center and the mechanic would have to put the car up like 5 or 6 times to get it centered but still it was loose. If castor arm bushings need to be done then upper and lower control arm should be aswell and your steering rack, everything will feel very tight and firm!

goodluck

Last edited by 416tt; 10-16-13 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 12:06 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Several months ago my 2002 SC430 began making a grinding/metallic sound while driving. I am not sure if it was getting worse or not, but it wasn't getting better. I took it to a mechanic and he said he didn't see anything wrong with it, and it might cost a lot to go fishing. So, I recently took my car in for the recall, it needed to be done, so while there I asked them to investigate and fix. They found that the front sway bar bolt had broken. They replaced, lubed, and adjusted the suspension. It cost me $180...which I was prepared to pay so that someone could find the problem. The cost consisted of electronic ears that pinpointed the noise. All in all, I am happy!
Old 10-21-13, 04:14 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
that vehicle is 'only' 10/11 years old but the fact that it has such little mileage, one could say that it is only 3 years old (12,000 miles per year.)
pretty sure your bushings are in good shape.

however, usually you can tell by putting the car on a rack/jackstands
and visually inspecting the bushings. the wear will be apparent but you will have to know what the original shape of the bushings is supposed to be. you should also replace cracked bushings.

and another way that sometimes works is if you can shake the component or if there is excessive play at that certain point .
Thanks for your service to our country!