SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oxygen Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 01:16 PM
jluquette
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensors

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum - but I really like it. I'm trying to find the oxygen sensors in my '04 SC430 - so I searched the forum for "Oxygen sensor" and got several pages of all kind of stuff that don't seem to have anything to do with oxygen sensors. Can anybody educate me on the proper way to search for something specific like this?
Thanks,
Old 10-07-13, 01:47 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a thread that contains this attachment showing where the SC sensors are located, but redundancy is not a bad thing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sensors.pdf (58.8 KB, 335 views)
Old 10-07-13, 01:50 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hi, is your engine light on? if so have you got the code read? my (b1s1) oxygen sensor needed replacing.. just did it last week!

there are 4 oxygen sensors.
Bank 1 Sensor 1 (driver side before catalytic converter) also called upstream left
Bank 1 Sensor 2 (driver side after catalytic converter) also called downstream left

Bank 2 Sensor 1 (passenger side before catalytic converter) also called upstream right
Bank 2 Sensor 2 (passenger side after catalytic converter) also called downstream right

hope that helps

Oxygen Sensors-capture.png
The following users liked this post:
SCCruiser5 (08-27-23)
Old 10-15-13, 02:49 AM
jluquette
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks all - just what I needed. And Bimmer, yes my engine light is on and that exactly the sensor that needs to be changed. How difficult was it to get to - any tips. Also, where did you get the new sensor and what would be a fair prioce? I'm assuming that you bought it online - are there some reputable companies that I should know about - and some I should avoid?
Old 10-15-13, 02:54 AM
jluquette
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I almost forgot to include in my post: Are there any reasons why I might want to change all sensors at the same time - while I'm at it?
Old 10-15-13, 07:06 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jluquette
Hey, thanks all - just what I needed. And Bimmer, yes my engine light is on and that exactly the sensor that needs to be changed. How difficult was it to get to - any tips. Also, where did you get the new sensor and what would be a fair prioce? I'm assuming that you bought it online - are there some reputable companies that I should know about - and some I should avoid?
Oh yours is bank 1 sensor 1 also? I attached the pic below of where it is, it is slightly visible from where I was standing but more visible if you stand right underneath.

I could not attempt myself as I have construction going on in my garage so I got my mechanic to do it... he stood right under the steering rack and used a long bent nose plier to reach its plug, took him about 10 min just to unplug it because of the all the pipes around the steering rack in the way... then he had a twistable head wrench with a oxygen sensor socket which has a slit for the wire to come out of so the socket can seat on the plug.

now if you dont have a oxygen sensor socket I would just try using an open end offset wrench. But It can be alot easier if you just open up your steering rack (3 bolts), and let it hang, and it will give you enough clearence. Now as for the oxygen sensor, I was told to go for Denso or NGK.. I bought NGK from a partsource store near my house as they claimed that both are same company (not sure) but i payed 158$ for it and 90$ labor but yeah change them when they go bad !!

I know there is alot of people selling online for cheaper like on ebay but not sure if they are legitimate and told most crap out after year and I couldn't wait for shipping and stuff lol

Originally Posted by jluquette
Oh, I almost forgot to include in my post: Are there any reasons why I might want to change all sensors at the same time - while I'm at it?
I would only change the one your getting a code for.. if rest are working fine there is no need as you will end up spending/wasting a few hundred more which can be invested somewhere else. they are not a big deal anyways, just the sensor 1's are harder to reach but sensor 2 are right infront and easy if they ever go bad on you later you can just lift car and change them easily!

Oxygen Sensors-imag0225.jpg

Last edited by 416tt; 10-15-13 at 07:20 AM.