SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 original Nav DVD upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 11:09 AM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SC430 original Nav DVD upgrade or not?

ref: 2002 SC430 Navigation system. Is there any sense in upgrading the Nav DVD for this car? I currently have the original disc, which was produced around the time of Halleys Comet's last fly by. We have a 2010 DVD in our other Lexus, and still use a Garmin GPS (the $2,400 Lexus Nav system falls very short of the average $100 Garmin in every way).

Will a newer disc have more features or any benefit other than updated maps?

Thanks!
Marty
Old 09-30-13, 11:23 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by marty99
ref: 2002 SC430 Navigation system. Is there any sense in upgrading the Nav DVD for this car? I currently have the original disc, which was produced around the time of Halleys Comet's last fly by. We have a 2010 DVD in our other Lexus, and still use a Garmin GPS (the $2,400 Lexus Nav system falls very short of the average $100 Garmin in every way).

Will a newer disc have more features or any benefit other than updated maps?

Thanks!
Marty
There is a software update from what you're running now (and it's included on the newer map disks, and gets installed automatically when you insert the new disk into the system).

Is the newer software better than the Ver. 1.0 that you're running? Yes

Will it give you smooth-scrolling graphics, 3D maps, and real-time traffic updates? Nope.

If you're more curious about the software improvements than the map data, you could buy a disk on eBay that's a year or 2 old. It'll have the newer software for your system, but won't cost you near as much as the newest disk.

Also, if you are planning on buying the newest disk...wait a couple of months. The new map disks are released annually in the fall. (12.1 is the newest version available. 13.1 will be released in a month or two). There's no sense in paying full retail for a disk that will be outdated in 60 days.
Old 09-30-13, 11:32 AM
marty99
Rookie

Default Good to know

Thanks for the info. I'll check into purchasing a 'recent' update. What version did the software change?
Old 09-30-13, 12:06 PM
Habious

Thanks for the info. I'll check into purchasing a 'recent' update. What version did the software change?
That's a good question...I'm not sure.

I know it was fairly early on.

Someone here might know for sure, but if you got a disk that was 3 or 4 years old, you'd have new software (but 5 year old maps).

Also, we don't know yet what the 13.1 software update is going to look like. Chances are, with our Gen 2/3 Nav systems, there won't be any software changes (but we won't know for sure until it's released and someone buys it).
Old 09-30-13, 01:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I've upgraded my navigation disk ("software") and am happy with the results. I wouldn't pay the retail price as offered by Lexus, per se, just for the upgrades of a few more roads and improved graphics. In either instance, you will get to your location regardless. I will note that it is nice that the POI's on the newer version included common restaurants and retail stores where as the 2002 version that came with my car did not. I could easily type in "Chipotle" or "Target" and get local results. I wasn't able to do that on my previous version. BUT is it worth the retail price when I have a handy smart phone with GPS? Not in my opinion.
Old 10-03-13, 08:42 AM
marty99
Rookie

I upgraded the DVD in our ES330 several years ago, and found 2 things;

1. I could no longer use the lockout override, so the GPS became nearly useless during a road trip ( I will not pull over to the side of a highway to look for a point of interest).
2. The GPS update had a lot more POI's, all of which I can't use because the car has to be stationery to allow input on the GPS.

As with many owners, my wife and I both use portable Garmin GPS units in our Lexus vehicles which have factory GPS. Immensely faster, easier to use, friendly and they support live traffic. The Denso update for the car costs more than an entire new Garmin unit, with the newest bells and whistles! It's too bad, because the GPS in our ES is gorgeous. It just doesn't really know how to find it's way around town!
Old 10-03-13, 08:54 AM
Habious

I upgraded the DVD in our ES330 several years ago, and found 2 things;

1. I could no longer use the lockout override, so the GPS became nearly useless during a road trip ( I will not pull over to the side of a highway to look for a point of interest).
2. The GPS update had a lot more POI's, all of which I can't use because the car has to be stationery to allow input on the GPS.

As with many owners, my wife and I both use portable Garmin GPS units in our Lexus vehicles which have factory GPS. Immensely faster, easier to use, friendly and they support live traffic. The Denso update for the car costs more than an entire new Garmin unit, with the newest bells and whistles! It's too bad, because the GPS in our ES is gorgeous. It just doesn't really know how to find it's way around town!
Some good points, Marty.

However, the OP has a 2002 so, he's running a Gen 2/3 Nav system. With this version, the override still exists, even with the latest firmware (however, can't speak to 13.1...it's not out yet).

With the newer SC430's (06+) this is true...the map update also updates the firmware, which gets rid of the cannot-use-system-while-car-is-in-motion override capability.

But, that's not an issue with the '02-04's (not 100% about where the '05s fit within this).

In fact, I'm pretty sure that Ver 1.0 of the firmware in the Gen 2/3 does NOT have the override feature. So, the OP would actually be gaining this option.
Old 10-03-13, 08:57 AM
Habious

Oops...just realized that "Marty" and the OP...are the same person.

Sorry about that.

Old 10-03-13, 09:07 AM
marty99
Rookie

Thanks again. I'll wait and see if there is still an over ride available on the latest nav DVD. If anyone here has an older disc, please let me know. I have an 02 SC430 with the original DVD.