SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Removing Center Console Compartment Only

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 06:25 PM
maczones
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing Center Console Compartment Only

My 2005 SC430 center console dual compartment needs to be replaced. Looking for suggestions on how to only remove that part. Something of a warning to folks that might be attempting to remove the cigarette lighter assembly, could be in for an unwanted surprise. I was trying to remove the lighter assembly to route the USB cable from my new GROM adapter. While trying to push-in the lighter assembly, that particular side of the compartment, collapsed and created a 3 inch diameter circular hole. It appears the plastic material of the compartment has aged over the years and become very brittle. So, now I am now looking into replacing that compartment without hopfully removing the whole center console assembly, as was already discussed in this forum.
Old 03-12-24, 05:58 AM
doobs
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Yikes.

That is sub optimal.

With the age on our cars it isn't a huge surprise.

Good luck with your search.

You might try some the the bigger recyclers.
Old 03-12-24, 11:23 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

I had the same problem when I was installing my grom.

I am just going to put a faceplate over the hole

You can get them at ace hardware or amazon
Old 03-12-24, 07:42 PM
maczones
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I had the same problem when I was installing my grom.

I am just going to put a faceplate over the hole

You can get them at ace hardware or amazon
That sounds like a great idea. I’ll look into it this week. Thanks again for this great suggestion.
Old 03-19-24, 11:44 AM
SGB4570
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok, I give up, what's GROM?
Old 03-22-24, 12:51 AM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

GROM was the more reliable of the 2 or 3 gizmos sold some 10 years ago to connect external sound to the SC430 audio. Required installing a custom box and plugging in a few cables.

Removing the center console is the easiest task in the interior and takes but 5 minutes once you've done this puzzle once or twice. Start by
1. unscrewing the gear shift head (count the number of turns it itakes to remove). Open the tape deck door. Open the navigation door. Turn off ignition so steering wheel gets out of the way.
2. open the middle storage cover and push/pry out the seat heater ***** up and forward (they are finger-tight and will come out without much effort). Disconnect the cable and set aside. (hence the storage cover is lockabe to discourage this step as needed)
3. using the opened space, use fingers to carefully lift up the back of the wood trim covering gear shift and cupholders. All will unclip easily unless coke had been spilt over it. Slide over the gear shifter and disconnect ashtray light and tape door button wires (tricky). Set aside.
4. Using a strong finger grip, pry out the AC control console, which comes out together with the top leather piece. Held rather strongly by four clips. Pry up and down slightly - it always comes out. Disconnect cable bunches and set aside.
5. Undo bolts holding the tape deck and slide out.
Old 03-22-24, 05:08 AM
SGB4570
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tmakogon
GROM was the more reliable of the 2 or 3 gizmos sold some 10 years ago to connect external sound to the SC430 audio. Required installing a custom box and plugging in a few cables.

Removing the center console is the easiest task in the interior and takes but 5 minutes once you've done this puzzle once or twice. Start by
1. unscrewing the gear shift head (count the number of turns it itakes to remove). Open the tape deck door. Open the navigation door. Turn off ignition so steering wheel gets out of the way.
2. open the middle storage cover and push/pry out the seat heater ***** up and forward (they are finger-tight and will come out without much effort). Disconnect the cable and set aside. (hence the storage cover is lockabe to discourage this step as needed)
3. using the opened space, use fingers to carefully lift up the back of the wood trim covering gear shift and cupholders. All will unclip easily unless coke had been spilt over it. Slide over the gear shifter and disconnect ashtray light and tape door button wires (tricky). Set aside.
4. Using a strong finger grip, pry out the AC control console, which comes out together with the top leather piece. Held rather strongly by four clips. Pry up and down slightly - it always comes out. Disconnect cable bunches and set aside.
5. Undo bolts holding the tape deck and slide out.
Yeah, I've had my console out several times, once to replace the ash tray module and once to replace the cupholder assy. And once to explore trying to figure out how to get my nav door to work. Just didn't know what a GROM was.