SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Extended warranty info...Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 12:43 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty info...Please!!

Hello all!
I'm new here so please be patient with me!
I just purchased a 2004 SC430 with 41000 miles on it. Seems to be in great shape, but I'm really considering an extended warranty. I've been lurking on this forum reading the other posts about the ext warranties and it looks like a mixed bag of information. Many of the posts were several years old, so I'm thinking that there might be some more current recommendations available.
From what I'm understanding, "wear and tear" is an area fraught with wiggle room for the warranty companies. Like all of you, I don't really just want to pay real money in exchange for a piece of paper that has no real value!
I've read the contracts for Endurance Supreme, CARCHEX Titanium and OEM, National Auto Care, and about 10 more.
I'm looking to find something that will cover all of the normal stuff in the top line warranties but also the roof mechanism, navigation, stereo/speakers. I have seen references here where members have had speakers covered with ext warranties, but they have not mentioned the coverage so I can find it. I don't have any of these issues, but they seem to be in my future from what I'm reading...especially the speakers!
I'd appreciate your help and input!
Thanks in advance!!
By the way, this is my first Lexus... Kind of a mid life crisis car and waaayyyy cheaper than a twenty year old blonde!
Awesome car! Mine is Midnight Pine!
George
Old 08-16-13, 02:57 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GJP
Hello all!
I'm new here so please be patient with me!
I just purchased a 2004 SC430 with 41000 miles on it. Seems to be in great shape, but I'm really considering an extended warranty. I've been lurking on this forum reading the other posts about the ext warranties and it looks like a mixed bag of information. Many of the posts were several years old, so I'm thinking that there might be some more current recommendations available.
From what I'm understanding, "wear and tear" is an area fraught with wiggle room for the warranty companies. Like all of you, I don't really just want to pay real money in exchange for a piece of paper that has no real value!
I've read the contracts for Endurance Supreme, CARCHEX Titanium and OEM, National Auto Care, and about 10 more.
I'm looking to find something that will cover all of the normal stuff in the top line warranties but also the roof mechanism, navigation, stereo/speakers. I have seen references here where members have had speakers covered with ext warranties, but they have not mentioned the coverage so I can find it. I don't have any of these issues, but they seem to be in my future from what I'm reading...especially the speakers!
I'd appreciate your help and input!
Thanks in advance!!
By the way, this is my first Lexus... Kind of a mid life crisis car and waaayyyy cheaper than a twenty year old blonde!
Awesome car! Mine is Midnight Pine!
George
congrats on your purchase, welcome to CL !
Old 08-16-13, 03:43 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome
I also have the Midnight Pine with Saddle Int. been a great car to me.
Old 08-17-13, 12:17 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Welcome to CL. Got offered a Ford Credit Extended warranty on my 2005 when it had 59k + miles. $3000+. They said the top mechanism would be covered. I declined but only because my Lexus Platinum runs until next year Feb.
Old 08-17-13, 06:40 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

So how handy are you? Can you performe minor repairs on your sc430? The reason I ask these questions will help you determine if you should or maybe not purchase. I have a 2002 sc430 and when I bought it, I did buy the top of the line warranty that gave me the longest coverage possible. Why did I do that, I did not have the expertise to even change my oil. Many years later I change my own oil, replaced the shocks with coilovers, replace my own brakes, and so on... So I feel very comfortable getting my hands dirty. Now lets take a look at length of warranty vs what you will pay for it: I bought a 3 year warrant for about $3000. The first year I bought the car my ck engine light came on, took it to dealer and they said two of my four o2 sensors needed replacing at a price of close to $1000 then soon after that my front speakers gave out to the tune of about another $1000 so at the end of the 3 years I feel good since I had peace of mind for that time and was able to get a few things fixed. Would I do it again now that I am very handy replacing parts, no I would not purchase the warranty. Now if my top had failed and my warranty paid for that repair then maybe I would be saying, wow I'm glad I had the warranty and yes I would buy it again. I hope this helps you a little, good luck.
Old 08-17-13, 08:38 AM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
So how handy are you? Can you performe minor repairs on your sc430? The reason I ask these questions will help you determine if you should or maybe not purchase. I have a 2002 sc430 and when I bought it, I did buy the top of the line warranty that gave me the longest coverage possible. Why did I do that, I did not have the expertise to even change my oil. Many years later I change my own oil, replaced the shocks with coilovers, replace my own brakes, and so on... So I feel very comfortable getting my hands dirty. Now lets take a look at length of warranty vs what you will pay for it: I bought a 3 year warrant for about $3000. The first year I bought the car my ck engine light came on, took it to dealer and they said two of my four o2 sensors needed replacing at a price of close to $1000 then soon after that my front speakers gave out to the tune of about another $1000 so at the end of the 3 years I feel good since I had peace of mind for that time and was able to get a few things fixed. Would I do it again now that I am very handy replacing parts, no I would not purchase the warranty. Now if my top had failed and my warranty paid for that repair then maybe I would be saying, wow I'm glad I had the warranty and yes I would buy it again. I hope this helps you a little, good luck.

Thanks! I'm not that handy with cars yet!
What warranty covered your O2's and speakers?
Every one I've seen excludes the speakers.
Old 08-17-13, 12:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. Check out the Lexus Platinum warranty, it covers the speakers and the top.
Old 08-17-13, 02:24 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Congratulations on your purchase. Check out the Lexus Platinum warranty, it covers the speakers and the top.
Wish I could! They wont do a 2004!
Thanks
G
Old 08-17-13, 02:25 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OBP
Welcome to CL. Got offered a Ford Credit Extended warranty on my 2005 when it had 59k + miles. $3000+. They said the top mechanism would be covered. I declined but only because my Lexus Platinum runs until next year Feb.
I'll give that a shot!
Thanks!
G
Old 08-17-13, 02:31 PM
GJP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GJP
Wish I could! They wont do a 2004!
Thanks
G
BTW...
The Fidelity Warranty Services Platinum seems to do what I need with minimal exclusions, but the wear and tear part only goes up to 50k miles. That gives me 8k to go.
Anyone know where to get a good price on that warranty?
The site says it is only sold thru dealerships, but they are closed today so I can't find the closest dealer.
G
Old 08-18-13, 06:22 AM
tfischer
Forum Moderator

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

If Lexus won't give you a warranty on a 2004 SC, why would anyone else?
Take the money you would spend on the warranty, put it into a separate account, and pay for repairs as the need arises. In the biz they call this self-insuring. For cars this age that's pretty much what you do. In most instances, there will be money left in the account when you get around to selling the car.