SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC 430/ 12k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 04:41 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2002 SC 430/ 12k miles

Hey Gang, currently there is a 2002 white gold crystal/saddle driven only 12,000 miles for sale on EBay. Looks gorgeous, is this car worth $25k. Car is in Kansas City, never has seen rain, wife only drove it for Friday night dinners. Need your expert opinion please.

Last edited by tromly; 08-03-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-03-13, 05:13 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Answer is NO
Old 08-03-13, 06:14 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice car but it looks like the wheels were upgraded at some point.
Old 08-03-13, 07:51 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking car...
Old 08-03-13, 07:57 PM
rktinc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kc sc

I think the car is really nice. If the car checks out clean on carfax and is in as nice of shape as the seller says. I would buy it. The only items I would be concerned about would be the following:

1.) Tires should be changed for good measure (expensive on SC)
2.) needs all fluids changed by a Lexus Master tech (NOT their C level lube techs)
3.) check the rubber seals for the top. Probably ok.
4.) Change drive belt.
5.) Don't know if I would be scarred of the timing belt.
6.) monitor the water pump as it may seep or start leaking with driving.

All minor items that I would do. If he has done these services over the years then you are way ahead. Tires are likely run flats that probably would not need changed but it depends how picky you are.

I would say anything in the $21 to 24 range would be fine. They are only original once. Also keep in mind that at that price there is still a bit of depreciation that will hit you. If you keep it as nice as he has and put another 12k on it, you won't get hurt too bad. If you start using it as a daily driver, it will become an old used car very quickly.

You can never pay too much for the right car. Two or 3k is not enough to worry about when you are buying a toy. If you want an everyday car, find a well kept car with 100k on it for $15,000 and finish it off as a daily driver.

In my opinion, that car needs a good home and should remain a garage queen. I can't wait to start seeing SC's at car shows and cruise nights someday. I think they will be hits.

RKTINC
Old 08-03-13, 08:26 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default KC SC on eBay

Any car is worth exactly as much as the buyer is willing to pay. From personal experience, do not rely on the AutoCheck report included in the eBay description. A dealer supplied me with the same brand report on a 2011 IS350C and it was clean just like the one on the KC SC. I paid for a CarFax and it revealed that the car had been crashed and repaired. Good thing I checked or I would have owned that car instead of my SC. BTW, solid advice from rktinc in my opinion.
Old 08-03-13, 10:51 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rktinc
I think the car is really nice. If the car checks out clean on carfax and is in as nice of shape as the seller says. I would buy it. The only items I would be concerned about would be the following:

1.) Tires should be changed for good measure (expensive on SC)
2.) needs all fluids changed by a Lexus Master tech (NOT their C level lube techs)
3.) check the rubber seals for the top. Probably ok.
4.) Change drive belt.
5.) Don't know if I would be scarred of the timing belt.
6.) monitor the water pump as it may seep or start leaking with driving.

All minor items that I would do. If he has done these services over the years then you are way ahead. Tires are likely run flats that probably would not need changed but it depends how picky you are.

I would say anything in the $21 to 24 range would be fine. They are only original once. Also keep in mind that at that price there is still a bit of depreciation that will hit you. If you keep it as nice as he has and put another 12k on it, you won't get hurt too bad. If you start using it as a daily driver, it will become an old used car very quickly.

You can never pay too much for the right car. Two or 3k is not enough to worry about when you are buying a toy. If you want an everyday car, find a well kept car with 100k on it for $15,000 and finish it off as a daily driver.

In my opinion, that car needs a good home and should remain a garage queen. I can't wait to start seeing SC's at car shows and cruise nights someday. I think they will be hits.

RKTINC
thank you for an excellent report, I had never thought about the timing belt nd this would become an everyday car and never garaged.
Old 08-04-13, 10:24 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i've seen this on the local craigslist ads not too long ago.... i thought it was a pretty good deal..
Old 08-04-13, 05:41 PM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a 02 in 2010 with 23005 miles. Was like new! Paid 22k and thought it was a deal and have never regretted it.
Brought car to a private Lexus/Infinity shop to change the Timing Belt. The guy laughed and said "I don't mind taking your money but put at least 50k miles on it then come and see me".
So there might be your answer for the Timing Belt.

There is a lot of room in his price also...
Old 08-04-13, 06:45 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by momssc
Bought a 02 in 2010 with 23005 miles. Was like new! Paid 22k and thought it was a deal and have never regretted it.
Brought car to a private Lexus/Infinity shop to change the Timing Belt. The guy laughed and said "I don't mind taking your money but put at least 50k miles on it then come and see me".
So there might be your answer for the Timing Belt.

There is a lot of room in his price also...
Very BAD advice. With the type of engine the SC breaks, it will seize the engine. That has occurred to more than a few people. Typically, you can find their SCs on Craigslist at a giveaway price with a blown engine. I believe that the manual is 90k miles or 8 years (I think). A private shop might give you that advice, but a dealer never will. Most forum members do the belt at 8 years or 90k miles. I personally did mine at 8 years and 35k miles. No regrets, I plan on keeping my SC for a very long time and don't want a $10k bill for a new engine. I'm sure you about to hear from a whole lot of members now!
Old 08-04-13, 09:08 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

solman
I just did mine at 72000 + water pump + tensioner ect. now its good to go. solman you are right on the money.

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-05-13 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 05:36 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solman
Very BAD advice. With the type of engine the SC breaks, it will seize the engine. That has occurred to more than a few people. Typically, you can find their SCs on Craigslist at a giveaway price with a blown engine. I believe that the manual is 90k miles or 8 years (I think). A private shop might give you that advice, but a dealer never will. Most forum members do the belt at 8 years or 90k miles. I personally did mine at 8 years and 35k miles. No regrets, I plan on keeping my SC for a very long time and don't want a $10k bill for a new engine. I'm sure you about to hear from a whole lot of members now!
thank you Solmam for that excellent advice.
Old 08-05-13, 04:05 PM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote " A private shop might give you that advice, but a dealer never will."

Well of course a dealer won't give you that kind of advice, they will gladly change the TB anytime you ask them. The private mechanic clearly told me he would take my money but no need at the moment. A dealer would never say that!

If it makes you sleep better, do it. I wouldn't. That belt is NEW. Old belts on this forum have been posted in pics over and over again that look NEW with 100k miles on them AND 10 years so a TB at 12k miles and 12 years is reasonably fine for 40k more miles.

That's my .02 for what it's worth to ya..
Old 08-05-13, 04:25 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm doing mine next year when I maybe have 70k miles. Like my SC too much to chance it by going beyond the 9 year mark.
Old 08-12-13, 06:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

The car went for 25,100, hope the new owner is happy, The car booked out at $21,000 with the low miles.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC 430/ 12k miles