SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Would you hesitate on a 2002 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 11:04 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

dont get me wrong, like i stated above pic "not sure how accurate this is" reffering to the pic. Lexus/toyota is known for its reliability with big components such as engine, tranny.. what im reffering to is maintainence. As a car gets older, depending on mileage, condition, and how the previous owner has driven it maintainence can increase.

Similar engines, transmissions are generally re used in pretty much every brand. But every car has a different design, weight, structure, electronics for most so the problems can differ.

before i bought my 04, i saw an 02 56k miles Mint condition. I always get my car inspected before purchase and I found that even though the car was mint outside, the engine was leaking oil slightly nothing major. but im not sure how at 56k miles.. im assuming the owner really pushed it, or always over filled the oil, who knows?

so to be honest it all depends on what you find and what comes out from inspection!! and yes things do improve over the years, there is ALWAYS an improvement, it could be from big to something very small. anyhow its obviously a reliable car just find the one that doesnt require more maintainence then usual.

Goodluck on your search!

Last edited by 416tt; 07-31-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 11:22 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

The "Indigo Ink" is the very dark blue, and the "Midnight Pine Pearl" is the very dark green. Both are very nice colors, and came mostly with the ecru and the saddle interiors (the black interior would not look so good with these exterior colors).
There were 8 exterior colors (those noted above as well as "Egyptian Sand Pearl" which is a metallic gold color) and three interior colors, and two wood colors. The ecru interior came only with the Bird's Eye Maple, and the other 2 interiors came only with the Walnut wood. I looked at my 2002 book, and it does not have the usual chart showing which leather interiors are available with which exterior colors, so perhaps all such combinations are available.
After about 2005, more exterior colors were added, as well as some special editions (Pebble Beach) and a few leather changes were made. You can search here for other changes by year, but to the untrained eye, the changes to the body, trim and lights are not noticeable. The trained eye can spot the revised rear lights and other changes, but for the most part we keep these secrets here.
Let us know what you get.
Old 07-31-13, 10:29 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've owned over 47 cars in my life. I put the SC430 at the top of my list for like-able cars and fun to drive. In fact we have 2 of them now.

I got turned on to them by my buddy who as an 02 red/black with currently only 17,000 miles. When it's waxed it's stunning.

After my research I decided that I wanted at least a 2006 or newer.

There's nothing wrong with a 2002 but I wanted newer headlights, taillights wheels and 6 speed tranny. I'm not crazy about the older pie plate wheels.

I think blue/saddle combo it beautiful. The only issues I have with the real darker colors is that I found it very difficult to find one with nice paint. Most had swirls or obvious defects.

My Red/Ecru gets many more complements than my Silver/Saddle one gets. They both drive GREAT!

Bottom line, I would not hesitate buying a mint 2002 with low miles in the color of my choice.

JR
Old 08-01-13, 05:17 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus...all this for the price of a new nissan versa!
Old 08-01-13, 06:40 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Love my '02 .......but I'm a Lexus fan to begin with! I would have rather have the '06 and above but got such a good deal on my '02 and needed the funds to pay for extensive mods. Kinda' funny hearing about those having to replace a speaker.....
Old 08-01-13, 07:20 AM
MadHungari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an SLK before my SC. Read the SLK forms: Problems, problems, problems. Read the SC forms: Pleasure, pleasure, pleasure (no matter the year), except for the speakers--no big deal. I still lean towards the earlier cars, only because one can check transmission fluid level without putting the car on a lift.
Old 08-05-13, 05:23 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not put my wife in an 11 year old car. My experience is a blown motor in year 8 and 80,000 miles. I would put the extra cash and look for an 07. You will never forgive yourself if you hurt your family to save a few bucks.
Old 08-05-13, 06:12 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Nobody can draw a bell curve from one data point. A blown motor (engine?) is extremely rare, especially in an 8 year old, well built car. If this were a problem of which we should all be aware, there would not be many 6 year old cars on the road. Yet we find that the average age of autos on the roads in the United States is 10.8 years. In other words, well over half of the auto population is 8 years or older, and we see no rash of blown engines, and no call to get the little ladies out of these dangerous vehicles. In fact, today's well built cars routinely exceed 100,000 and even 150,000 miles and continue to run well.
Old 08-05-13, 08:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I would not put my wife in an 11 year old car. My experience is a blown motor in year 8 and 80,000 miles. I would put the extra cash and look for an 07. You will never forgive yourself if you hurt your family to save a few bucks.
OP I think as long as you don't drive into deep enough water (post-hurricane) to short out the ECU to cause the engine damage you will be ok.

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Well we had a near hurricane in Florida and LB ran through a puddle, nothing too deep but the computer shorted out causing her to over heat and kill the engine. Lexus has her now and they are sending a corporate inspector. My guess is if it goes to auto insurance the parts to be replaced will total her. Do you all think Lexus will cover it. After all a car should survive minimal water on paved roads.
Look at the broader member experiences posted here and independent surveys rather than isolated incidents. No used car is perfect, get it inspected.
Old 08-07-13, 12:24 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

I believe you have your answer already but I'll add to the list of being another satisfied 2002 SC430 owner. Best car I have ever owned!

Last edited by Idaho430; 08-11-13 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 06:18 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

I am about to purchase a 02 SC white 54K for $18,000

Just checking with the 02-04 Fans . This one is 1 owner, carfax clean , timing belt and water pump , front and rear pad N tires changed at 44K . The car is actually owned by a Lexus finance guy What do you guys think
? Is this the going rate for an 02 ?

Decisions , decisions ?
Old 08-11-13, 07:58 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Gang

I am about to purchase a 02 SC white 54K for $18,000

Just checking with the 02-04 Fans . This one is 1 owner, carfax clean , timing belt and water pump , front and rear pad N tires changed at 44K . The car is actually owned by a Lexus finance guy What do you guys think
? Is this the going rate for an 02 ?

Decisions , decisions ?
I'd try to talk him down to $17K or so. There are just so many SC's out there with LOW, LOW miles as they are garage queens or just seasonally driven. While 54K is not high miles for the majority of cars one would look at, for an SC it's a few.

Updated stereo? Does it have the Run Flat tires or...? How about the wheels? The OEM Pie Plates are hideous.
Old 08-11-13, 08:10 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

The guy wanted $21,000 and I got him down to $18,000

It has TRD chrome wheels on Run flat

It is pretty nice considering it has tires only 10 K miles old, water pump and timing belt also done at 54K
Old 08-11-13, 09:20 PM
sebtown
Driver

I think you did just fine. I have been pushing the limits on the age of my timing belt. 69k and 12 years, taking it in tomorrow so I can start sleeping again!
Old 08-11-13, 09:39 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

For comparison...our '02 with updated Lexus wheels, BRAND NEW run flats (less than 1K miles) and 21K on the clock...$18.5K last summer.

Quick Reply: Would you hesitate on a 2002 purchase?