SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

$26 diy VS $1,800 at the dealer. Door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 12:06 AM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $26 diy VS $1,800 at the dealer. Door lock actuator

If anyone has or will have issues with their door lock actuator you'll need to read this.

First off an actuator is the locking mechanism that opens and locks your doors. My driver side and passenger side actuators went bad on my car. Dealer said it'll cost $900 per side to replace and you can't fix it yourself since the part that goes bad is a motor which is inside a glued sealed piece in the actuator assembly so I'll have to buy the whole thing. They are right and wrong. True, it is glued sealed but it is repariable. Once you take the actuator out, using a sharp knife open the glued component. Inside you'll find a motor (see pic) and this is what goes bad. The rest is plastic gearing.

Search amazon for "flat shaft door lock motor" and that's all you need. Costs $13 per side.

Moral of story is try it yourself. Research. Test components and you'll figure it out. You must be smart to have the $ to buy an SC430. DIY before you get bullied out of your money.
Attached Thumbnails  diy VS alt=,800 at the dealer. Door lock actuator-exploded.jpg    diy VS alt=,800 at the dealer. Door lock actuator-imag1919.jpg  
Old 07-30-13, 02:47 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

were did you get them and part number
Old 07-30-13, 04:33 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spot on!

You've just gotta love those who don't take no for an answer!
Old 07-30-13, 05:00 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

jkeifer3
looks like a lot of the cars you had I also had and sold through the year myself, they were the good old days, but I still have the 430sc
Old 07-30-13, 07:27 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW great stuff. Found it on amazon as Central Door Lock Actuator Motor FC-280PC-22125 FLAT SHAFT
by Mabuchi The $13 included shipping.
Reminds me of the Lexus dealership estimate to replace the trunk struts for $345 which I replaced for $43 + $11 shipping and it took about 20 minutes of which 10 minutes was finding the correct screw driver of length and narrow tang.
Old 07-30-13, 08:20 AM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

This information is valuable and again this is wat this forum is about.

Kind regards from a thankful sc 430 owner.
Old 07-30-13, 08:27 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genius!
Dont the windows have actuators also? Wonder if its the same deal.
Old 07-30-13, 08:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This is awesome!
Old 07-30-13, 10:15 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Much cheaper on eBay... but there are 2 kind of actuator that made by Mabuchi, one with long shaft and one with short shaft so which is the correct one?
Old 07-30-13, 06:09 PM
Alex818
Driver

Thank you for everyones support. It is the "FC-280PC-22125 flat shaft" on Amazon so Autoplak is on target. And if its an emergency and you can't wait until the part arrives then go to your local junk yard and get it from an IS300. You're looking at $30-$50 at the yard.
Old 07-30-13, 08:54 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my drivers door lock motor. I took the actuator out, took it apart (as explained earlier it is glued together) and it looked like new inside, so I cleaned the motor then hooked just the motor by it's self up direct to a battery to spin it and it barely turned, had to give it a spin with my fingers (it sputtered & missed) just kept the battery hooked to it and it hesitated, bucked & snorted but after about 20 to 30 seconds it smoothed out and spun strong and steady as if the commutator & brushes were dirty or something and running it steady for about a minute was all it needed to clean it off. Put it back together and has worked perfect ever since! That was about 2 years ago. "Zero Cost" just my own time invested in my baby. My theory is that the motor only spins a few revolutions either way "Lock & Unlock" so it never gets a chance to spin free for any length of time and builds up some deposits on the com. & brushes. Just wiring 12V direct to the motor it's self after it is removed from the actuator housing and letting it rip is all it needs to "Burn Off" any build up.
Hope this helps some one to save some dollars cuz $1,800.00 dealer price to fix such a simple thing is outrageous!
Old 08-03-13, 04:49 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Great thread, thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-03-13, 07:59 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Epic!

We are not worthy! This is exactly why the value of information shared is essential to the enlightenment of the members here. Thank you!

Old 08-06-13, 11:49 AM
coupdabill
Driver School Candidate

Default Door lock motor

You are so right Much thanks to all for all this info.
Old 10-07-13, 11:39 AM
Cyphear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mdpuff
I had the same problem with my drivers door lock motor. I took the actuator out, took it apart (as explained earlier it is glued together) and it looked like new inside, so I cleaned the motor then hooked just the motor by it's self up direct to a battery to spin it and it barely turned, had to give it a spin with my fingers (it sputtered & missed) just kept the battery hooked to it and it hesitated, bucked & snorted but after about 20 to 30 seconds it smoothed out and spun strong and steady as if the commutator & brushes were dirty or something and running it steady for about a minute was all it needed to clean it off. Put it back together and has worked perfect ever since! That was about 2 years ago. "Zero Cost" just my own time invested in my baby. My theory is that the motor only spins a few revolutions either way "Lock & Unlock" so it never gets a chance to spin free for any length of time and builds up some deposits on the com. & brushes. Just wiring 12V direct to the motor it's self after it is removed from the actuator housing and letting it rip is all it needs to "Burn Off" any build up.
Hope this helps some one to save some dollars cuz $1,800.00 dealer price to fix such a simple thing is outrageous!
For the record, I tried the "dirty brushes" method, but once I took it apart the actuator I could see the brushes were almost entirely eaten away. I tried cleaning and running several times but it could barely ever spin. $6 ebay motor is powerful as hell, so it's worth swapping anyway in my opinion just so you dont have to do it again in 3-4 years. The brush on my other side was in great shape. I think the passengers side just doesn't move easily and it wore out the brushes.

Quick Reply: $26 diy VS $1,800 at the dealer. Door lock actuator