Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Another Retractable Roof Problem, Please Help

Old 07-19-13, 07:44 PM   #1
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Another Retractable Roof Problem, Please Help

2002 SC 430, went to open the roof, everything retracted normally into the trunk until it was time for the trunk hatch to close. That's when a fast clicking sound could be heard as the trunk hatch wouldn't lower. Had to manually push down the trunk hatch all the way by hand and then press the dash open button to latch. Now, when trying to close the roof by pressing the dash close button, the trunk hatch opens normally but then the same fast clicking sound can be heard and there's no further roof movement out of the trunk.

Any ideas what I should look for? Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
cannonbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 03:39 PM   #2
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate

Follow up: roof still not functioning properly. When pushing the close roof button, trunk hatch opens fine but then the clicking sound begins and the roof will not come out of trunk unless I reach in and lift the roof somewhat, after a couple seconds the roof will begin closing on it's own normally.

I removed the inner trunk liner, checked fuses and dropped her off at Hennessey Lexus in Duluth, GA. No codes were found and after paying $129 for one hour diagnostics, they told me the passenger side convertible drive mechanism needs replacing for $5,422.15 total. The technician thought the luggage door closer motor gear case was worn, resulting in mechanical resistance.

I declined repairs as that price is way out of budget. Does anyone reading this far have any suggestions? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Last edited by cannonbal; 08-07-13 at 06:32 PM..
Old 08-07-13, 03:49 PM   #3
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Pics of my car to "put a face with a name".

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 08-07-13, 04:58 PM   #4
mrblister
Lexus Champion

That is a bummer Could they be more specific [ passenger side convertible drive mechanism ] The convertible top i think has 9 motors that have to work in unison controlled by the roof ecu. I believe that the dealer is not telling you the whole story. I think motors can be changed . Is it possible its your hinge assemble ? I would ask them to be more telling in where the issue is .They may want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 05:38 PM   #5
Juli
Rookie

Juli Beatty

My recommendation would be to take it to Nalley Lexus in Smyrna for a second opinion. We've trusted them with two Lexuses since 2009 and always walk away happy.
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:31 PM   #6
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replys so far.

Upon further evaluation by me, the clicking noise is infact coming from the passanger side luggage door closer motor gear drive case. That gear drive case is actually part of the HINGE ASSEMBLY, LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR, RH - RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE part # 64510 in the link below, $4,630.57

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html

There's a white colored nylon gear in the above mentioned case that looks possibly worn. Unfortuately, there is not a seperate part number for the gear or gear drive case assembly. Does anyone know of a source for just the gear drive case or even the nylon gear itself?

Last edited by cannonbal; 08-07-13 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-07-13, 06:37 PM   #7
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonbal View Post
Thank you for the replys so far.

Upon further evaluation by me, the clicking noise is infact coming from the passanger side luggage door closer motor gear drive case. That gear drive case is actually part of the HINGE ASSEMBLY, LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR, RH - RIGHT / PASSENGER SIDE part # 64510 in the link below, $4,630.57

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html

There's a white colored nylon gear in the above mentioned case that looks possibly worn. Unfortuately, there is not a seperate part number for the gear or gear drive case assembly. Does anyone know of a source for just the gear drive case or even the nylon gear itself?
Call Sewell on the phone see what he reccomends you can also go to vipers they sell a lot of sc430 parts.I thought that the hinge assemble did include a motor. You also might be able to have a gear made to match the bad gear you have. or else retrofit some other gears you would be surprised what cnc machines can do

here is ebay link for drivers side keep looking you will find a passenger side.

2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470

Last edited by mrblister; 08-07-13 at 06:43 PM..
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:10 PM   #8
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate

Thank you mrblister, I'll contact Sewell to see what they say.

I've found 4 right hand hinge assemblies on ebay so far...
Old 08-07-13, 08:08 PM   #9
JohnnyCake
Lexus Test Driver

Mr. Blister has given you great advice. Another idea would be to try to find a SC430 and a junk yard or someone who is parting one out after a wreck. It is criminal for any unit in a car to cost $4K to replace, without an option to just replace internal parts.
2006 Lexus SC430 - Smoky Mica Granite with Black interior. MODS: DISABLED Nav data entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED phone entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED "I agree" screen; DISABLEDSeat belt chime ADDED: Remote Functions via Cell Phone; LuxLink; NavTool Backup Cam; Sirius XM Radio; Vais iPod adapter; Blitz cabin filter.
JohnnyCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 12:50 PM   #10
snoop562
Pole Position
Trader Score: (6)

someone is selling the complete roof and both motors on ebay for $750 shipped. lmk if you want the link. i was going to buy it but was able to get mine fixed.

01 LS430 Parchment Crystal
Work Euroline Sl
Megan Coilovers
TC Sounds CDT Audio Eclipse MB Quart
snoop562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 11:36 AM   #11
Harold57
Lexus Test Driver

With it clicking like that, I'd agree that there is a gear somewhere that is either very worn or is missing some teeth.
Harold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 01:05 PM   #12
cannonbal
Driver School Candidate

Okay, in the top picture you can see the gear drive assembly that's making the clicking sound. In the bottom picture circled is the removable cap to that gear drive. After unscrewing the cap, I can lift out the worm drive and see the white nylon gear that I think is worn. If I had a source for that gear and or assembly, I could easily perform a swap.

Old 08-18-13, 03:32 AM   #13
gripau1
Pole Position

love the wheels, what size are they?
gripau1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 04:09 AM   #14
gripau1
Pole Position

If someone has access to a CNC machine might possibly make them out of aluminum and sell them to the form members.
gripau1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 05:42 AM   #15
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

5422 for a gear that cost maybe 10 dollars is crazy. I can't believe we can't get this gear. it would be cheaper to have 1000 gears made. aluminum would be a great fix for this problem instead of cheap plastic gear. this is how Lexus makes money.
2002 Midnight Pine Pearl: Clear Corners Headlights with Duel Action Flashers Clear Corners Clear Led Front and Rear Markers Megan Racing Motor Mounts Swift Springs Bilstein Custom Front and Rear Shocks Dr Gas Mufflers TM Poly Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Poly Bushings Steering Front GS 28.6mm Solid and ISF Rear 17mm Sway 30% Tint 18" Work Rims Motorsport Tech Spacers Door Stabiliers Focal 1 Amp Polk db 840 Sub Dc Gold Front Speakers Trans Pressure Mod Gen4 Spare Tire Mod Sprintboost

Last edited by bacardi11; 08-18-13 at 06:01 AM..
bacardi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 05:42 AM