Purchasing SC430 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 08:22 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Purchasing SC430 tomorrow

Hello Fellow ClubLexus Sc430 Members,

I will be picking up my very first Lexus/hardtop convertible and am absolutely psyched! I have already made my deposit to hold the car to come test drive tomorrow.

Couple of questions. I will be keeping an eye out for any type of marks or dings that can be used to negotiate the price lower. The dealer is asking for 16.9k for a 2003 White Sc430 w/saddle interior 111k miles on the clock. It doesn't sound like a great deal at all but this dealership is 10 miles away from where I live.

Here are some imperfections I found about the car that I can lower the price by. Let me know what you guys think. Take note that I have not test drived the car yet (tomorrow) but as far as cosmetics, I'm looking to shave off 1200 from what I've seen from the pictures I hope the ride will be smooth and will be using the sticky posted on the sc430 board as a checklist when starting up and testing every switch in the car including the top up while driving over 40 mph.

-sc0tt
Old 07-14-13, 09:17 PM
mpezely
Driver

Scott, You have a lot of SC430'S available in California, buy owner and dealer. Slow down and get one in top shape, they are out there. That car has issues (front end clip +) that could cost plenty. Just my opinion. Mike
Old 07-14-13, 09:35 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Originally Posted by mpezely
Scott, You have a lot of SC430'S available in California, buy owner and dealer. Slow down and get one in top shape, they are out there. That car has issues (front end clip +) that could cost plenty. Just my opinion. Mike
Hey Mike,

Thanks. I will looking at another one tomorrow. Blue w/ ecru interior.

-Scott
Old 07-14-13, 09:41 PM
NextGenLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this dealership is 10 miles away from where you live, why would you put down a deposit if you haven't even seen the car?

1. Have you seen the CarFax report for this car?

I found this car online and after Googling the VIN number I found a free CarFax report:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...FN48Y930037970

5 owners.
It was owned in Michigan, so the vehicle may have been driven on salted roads for multiple winters. Watch for corrosion.
Accident is listed, but only involving right rear impact. If the bumper is misaligned, chances are this car was in at least one more unreported accident, and it wasn't fixed properly.

All of these significantly affect resale value. I wouldn't buy this car. You should be able to find a used car in this price range which is a 1-owner, California-owned and which has never been in an accident. I would definitely have any SC430 in such a condition checked by a trusted mechanic before considering a purchase.

2. Were you able to find dealership service records on lexus.com?

3. Other things to look for:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ned-sc430.html

4. Have you seen other SC430s in the Bay Area? Bay Area has quite a few SC430s for sale. An ideal used car would be a 1-owner which has never been in an accident, and has maintenance records. If you are buying a car with this many miles, have it checked by a mechanic, or get a pre-purchase inspection done at a Lexus dealership.

Last edited by NextGenLex; 07-14-13 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 09:52 PM
NextGenLex
Driver School Candidate

Note that the gear stick color does not match the rest of the car.
Old 07-14-13, 10:17 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

"the top up while driving over 40 mph" ....I hope you didn't mean opening the top at 40mph
Old 07-14-13, 10:28 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Originally Posted by NextGenLex
If this dealership is 10 miles away from where you live, why would you put down a deposit if you haven't even seen the car?

1. Have you seen the CarFax report for this car?

I found this car online and after Googling the VIN number I found a free CarFax report:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...FN48Y930037970

5 owners.
It was owned in Michigan, so the vehicle may have been driven on salted roads for multiple winters. Watch for corrosion.
Accident is listed, but only involving right rear impact. If the bumper is misaligned, chances are this car was in at least one more unreported accident, and it wasn't fixed properly.

All of these significantly affect resale value. I wouldn't buy this car. You should be able to find a used car in this price range which is a 1-owner, California-owned and which has never been in an accident. I would definitely have any SC430 in such a condition checked by a trusted mechanic before considering a purchase.

2. Were you able to find dealership service records on lexus.com?

3. Other things to look for:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ned-sc430.html

4. Have you seen other SC430s in the Bay Area? Bay Area has quite a few SC430s for sale. An ideal used car would be a 1-owner which has never been in an accident, and has maintenance records. If you are buying a car with this many miles, have it checked by a mechanic, or get a pre-purchase inspection done at a Lexus dealership.
Thank you for the detailed post. The deposit was a couple of bucks and I asked him not to charge since i'm looking around for sc430 in my local area. A local one where ive been contacting recently was sold today. So that was the only saddle interior that's up locally. I will take your advice and keep searching. Thank you again.

Originally Posted by NextGenLex
Note that the gear stick color does not match the rest of the car.
Indeed it is. One may rule out possibly the gear stick was stolen?

Originally Posted by grabber2
"the top up while driving over 40 mph" ....I hope you didn't mean opening the top at 40mph
Please disregard my comment. I mean to say driving with the top up.

Last edited by SC0TT; 07-14-13 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 05:08 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bypass this car, too many issues, there are plenty of great 430's out there, never get a Michigan car.
Old 07-15-13, 05:12 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SC0TT
Indeed it is. One may rule out possibly the gear stick was stolen?
Maybe, but maybe the mechanic lost it during a major repair when the transmission was out of the car for several weeks. That is just odd, odd, odd.

Not sure where the side airbag is -- could the damage to the side of the driver seat be from deployment or replacement?
Old 07-15-13, 05:16 AM
momssc
Driver

Pass on this. I got mine in 2010 with 23k miles for $22500 (private sale). Like new condition. BTW, I am the 4th owner so it is possible that after 3 other owners the car can be like new.
Old 07-15-13, 06:31 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When I picked up my CPO SC430, it didn't have a gear shift ****...they grabbed one from stock and screwed it on.

Here's how it was explained to me...

Cars that are sold at auction are put out for people to look at. People are constantly getting in and out of them and, the gearshift knobss are one of those things that, if it's there, it's going to walk away (you can sell them on eBay for $$$ and they're untraceable).

So, auction-sold used cars often don't have the gearshift **** with them. They're SUPPOSED to put the **** in an envelope with things like the valet key, etc....but that doesn't always happen.
Old 07-15-13, 07:46 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
Bypass this car, too many issues, there are plenty of great 430's out there, never get a Michigan car.
Like Tromly said! and the small things are what usually point out how the car was treated.. I can only imagine how 5 different owners must have driven it! im sure you will find a better one

Goodluck!
Old 07-15-13, 08:10 AM
SC0TT
Rookie

I would like to thank everyone for the feedback. Its making my search more of a game to find the right one.
Old 07-15-13, 04:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
When I picked up my CPO SC430, it didn't have a gear shift ****...they grabbed one from stock and screwed it on.

Here's how it was explained to me...

Cars that are sold at auction are put out for people to look at. People are constantly getting in and out of them and, the gearshift ***** are one of those things that, if it's there, it's going to walk away (you can sell them on eBay for $$$ and they're untraceable).

So, auction-sold used cars often don't have the gearshift **** with them. They're SUPPOSED to put the **** in an envelope with things like the valet key, etc....but that doesn't always happen.
You are a MODERATOR and you used that word FIVE TIMES?!? Gee, yours must be polished to perfection!

(but the explanation makes sense)

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 07-15-13 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Weird, if you are logged in, you can see the "nasty" word
Old 07-15-13, 11:22 PM
SC0TT
Rookie

Update on my search:

I test drove a 2003 Indigo/Ecru with 113k miles. Flaws were a bloody seatbelt right front trust is worn, Nav wont tilt. Dealer wanted 11k flat out the door. I told him to write a purchase order then I got home and ripped it up.

Tomorrow Im seeing a private seller that happens to have a 02 Black/saddle 100k miles w/20" Vossens and custom JL Audio stereo. Not sure if OEM or not but I definitely will be looking forward to the ride.

Quick Reply: Purchasing SC430 tomorrow