SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My new LED DRL's installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 04:37 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great posts and thank you to all who have shared, however maybe I'm too mechanical and not too electrical, but I have not seen any tips and/or pics of inside the engine compartment as to how you actually route and hook up the LED wires to the fuses. I see in my 02 SC430 fuse boxes on each side which are bolted down with bundled wires going into each box.
Please assist an electrically challenged CL member who is interested in this modification.
Old 06-28-13, 06:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

DIY coming soon as I get my stash. Again our thanks to StillLine.
Old 06-28-13, 11:29 AM
zibby07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@StillLine , do you have pictures of how you wired it?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by StillLine
mandyfig,

So, what about simply sticking the strips to the middle two ribs? If you desire more surface area for the tape on the back of the strip to stick to, fabricate your "L" bracket to stick between the two ribs flush with the leading edges of the ribs, and there you go. Just my 2 cents.

StillLine

Old 06-28-13, 12:05 PM
mandyfig

If ya'll can wait a bit, I will do a detailed DIY on this. Hope to get my set next week. Keep posted.
Old 06-28-13, 09:23 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zibby07
@StillLine , do you have pictures of how you wired it?

Thanks.
Until the full write-up by mandyfig, here's some teaser photos showing my hookup. Mandyfig, feel free to use any or all of the photos and descriptions I have sent to you via PM.

StillLine

Old 06-29-13, 09:19 AM
zibby07
Driver School Candidate

Do you know where the turn signal fuse is? Have you tried wiring it up in connection to the turn signal in such a way that the LED stays on during normal use however when you turn on the turn signal the led will turn off. It should be easy to do if you have a multi channel relay so the left and right led's are triggered on different logic.

Originally Posted by StillLine
Until the full write-up by mandyfig, here's some teaser photos showing my hookup. Mandyfig, feel free to use any or all of the photos and descriptions I have sent to you via PM.

StillLine

Old 06-29-13, 06:37 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

still
it looks like they are yellow looking but light up white is that a clear cover or what?.
Old 06-29-13, 07:29 PM
pvong713
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Blinded just watching this video! I'm bless to say thank you to all the SC430 owners. Sometimes being the only one in my area with a sc430 I feel left out! Glad I found this forum! =)
Old 06-30-13, 06:10 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by zibby07
Do you know where the turn signal fuse is? Have you tried wiring it up in connection to the turn signal in such a way that the LED stays on during normal use however when you turn on the turn signal the led will turn off. It should be easy to do if you have a multi channel relay so the left and right led's are triggered on different logic.
I will definitely use all your pics and narration to augment the DIY. BTW I received the LED's, fast delivery from Chicago. Hope to receive the remotes by Monday.

Question though, the grille seems to be fake and is covered by a cowl, where did you pass the wires to the engine bay? Did you have to bore a hole?
Old 06-30-13, 06:29 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by bacardi11
still
it looks like they are yellow looking but light up white is that a clear cover or what?.
I received my set, the LED face is Yellow. But lights up White. In the LED box, there is a selection of color, it appears to be the illumination color, not the color of the LED while it is off. The box says "waterproof."

Note that I do not think we have a choice of the color (meaning the LED face itself). The color variation included in the box description talks about the color of LED emission.

See full detail of the box here:
Attached Thumbnails My new LED DRL's installed-drl.jpg  

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-30-13 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 06:57 AM
mandyfig

I just tested one strip, heck is bright.
Attached Thumbnails My new LED DRL's installed-led-001.jpg  
Old 06-30-13, 07:00 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

they are nice but I don't like the yellow looking fronts. thats the one thing that stops me from buying them the yellow look when off.
Old 06-30-13, 07:13 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
That is exactly what I had in mind! Perhaps you cut or sand a bevel on the outside edges of the LED frame and mount it from behind the middle bars so that they only shine through when on and not visible when off.
You are on to something. Maybe it is better to install behind the slits. We shall see.

Quick check reveals that modification on the slits will be needed.

I am getting my LED fogs in today and I will study this option while I am on it.

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-30-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 08:01 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bacardi11
they are nice but I don't like the yellow looking fronts. thats the one thing that stops me from buying them the yellow look when off.
Have to agree with that.... I received mine as well yesterday, but haven't figured out yet how I'm going to change the yellow. I hope somebody comes up with something. I can't install with the yellow/black look.

As far as the hook-up, I think you could wire so they come on when the ignition is on and put the remote in series so should you want to turn them off for any reason, you could via remote.

Thanks guys,

lar
Old 06-30-13, 08:25 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

looking for a clear lenses setup. they look good but a different setup. that yellow is not my cup of tea.

Quick Reply: My new LED DRL's installed