SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Old 08-18-14, 09:57 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Documenting the condition of the interior before having this recall done is a good idea. The newspaper is not needed, however, as iPhone and most other video cameras have the date (and often the GPS location) imbedded in the file as metadata. (Same for photographs.)
Old 08-18-14, 10:39 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Documenting the condition of the interior before having this recall done is a good idea. The newspaper is not needed, however, as iPhone and most other video cameras have the date (and often the GPS location) imbedded in the file as metadata. (Same for photographs.)
Understood, however metadata can be easily modified. Should it be used in court, metadata doesn't typically hold up however newspapers do. Hopefully it would never to come to that, but you never know.
Old 08-18-14, 11:13 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I think you are correct that the metadata can be modified, and the photo of the newspaper might come in handy if the dealer tries to hold your car for ransom.
Old 08-18-14, 12:50 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Indeed. I knew my K+R background would help outside of work at some point.
Old 08-22-14, 02:51 PM
hcstraub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to call the dealer for another reason and asked about the recall. Mine is an '03 and I have not had it in for this yet. She checked the VIN and came back with, "There are no current recalls that effect your car.". She gave me the corp call in number so I called them as well, same story. The recall does not effect my '03 SC430.
So I guess the recall is not ALL cars from that era.
FYI
Old 08-30-14, 05:50 PM
gslangfeld
Driver School Candidate

I also recieved the notice. Apparently, "they" decided to replace all airbag propellant in the years specified and not just the affected vin #'s. i also was concerned about the dash removal to effect this recall. I was pleasantly surprised that they did an exemplary job (Lexus of Orlando). I took pics if it before and used a 180 lumen maglite to check their work upon completion. It took 4 days . . . and they gave me a loaner, i asked for an RC F, heh, but they didn't get one till the next week. Oddly enough, the stealership did a very good job I must say. Also, they said they were alotted 1 airbag recall replacement per week for the SC430's from whoever supplies them, which I find idiotic. I only got in because a customer cancelled an appointment, otherwise it was two months out on the waiting list. When you go ladies and gentlemen, watch 'em like a hawk.
Old 09-28-14, 08:33 AM
Twisted99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have not taken the car. YET. No doubt we will, i just read this entire thread I'm just wondering if they are still removing the dash or the passenger seat.

Also, if they do remove the dash, can you get a "discount" if you need other work done that calls for dash removal?

Anyone in the Palm beach Florida area shed some light?
Old 10-21-14, 07:35 AM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

After reading an article in the New York Times this morning about a woman who died after receiving multiple "stab wounds" to her neck and it turned out to be another airbag inflator issue, I decided to do some research. Check out this link to Lexus:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...e-campaigns.do
Old 10-21-14, 07:40 AM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

This is the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/21/bu...T.nav=top-news
Old 10-21-14, 11:27 AM
derishi
Driver School Candidate

not sure if this was posted here already, but here is the list of makes/models also affected by this recall

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...mediate-action
Old 10-21-14, 12:23 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Default Here is the actual wording that my link didn't show

Description
Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2002-2004 Toyota Sequoia and Lexus SC and 2003-2004 Toyota Corolla, Corolla Matrix, Tundra, and Pontiac Vibe vehicles to address a safety defect in the passenger side frontal air bag inflator which may produce excessive internal pressure causing the inflator to rupture upon deployment of the air bag. This recall addresses both the passenger side frontal air bags that were originally installed in the vehicles, as well as replacement air bags that may have been installed as replacement service parts. A replacement air bag may have been installed, as one example, if a vehicle had been in a crash necessitating the replacement of the passenger side frontal air bag.

Remedy
Toyota will notify owners of affected Toyota and Lexus vehicles and General Motors will notify owners of affected Pontiac Vibe vehicles. Toyota, Lexus, and GM dealers will replace the passenger side air bag inflator, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Pontiac Vibe owners may contact GM at 1-800-521-7300. IMPORTANT NOTE: This recall supersedes recall 13V-133 in which some vehicles were inspected and received a replacement inflator, while others were inspected but did not have their inflator replaced. All owners of vehicles that did not get an inflator replacement, or owners that do not know if they got an inflator replacement, should contact their Toyota or Lexus dealer.
Old 05-24-15, 07:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm going in for my passenger airbag recall this Wed at Lexus of Westmont, IL. I took a video or my interior and all my working electronics, working nav screen and radio motorized doors, functional and no broken A/C vents, as well as no damage to the leather seats or center console. I've heard some horror stories of broken dash parts after taking on this recall. I don't want to be one of them, but if anything does happen my video should be evidence enough to clear the fact that the damage was not present at drop off. I intend to also let me service adviser visually check my interior so we can be in agreement on it's condition. Wish me luck. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-25-15, 04:22 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Shawn! I was worried when I took mine in but they did a great job (couldn't even tell anything had been done). Hopefully your dealership will do as good as mine did.

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I'm going in for my passenger airbag recall this Wed at Lexus of Westmont, IL. I took a video or my interior and all my working electronics, working nav screen and radio motorized doors, functional and no broken A/C vents, as well as no damage to the leather seats or center console. I've heard some horror stories of broken dash parts after taking on this recall. I don't want to be one of them, but if anything does happen my video should be evidence enough to clear the fact that the damage was not present at drop off. I intend to also let me service adviser visually check my interior so we can be in agreement on it's condition. Wish me luck. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-25-15, 04:31 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shawn
they did mine at the dealer was given a loner car for the day. car was done next day. no problem at all.

Last edited by bacardi11; 05-25-15 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 05:57 AM
JETII
Driver School Candidate

Hi Shawn, They did mine by removing the passenger seat and working under the dash.....they did not have to remove any of the dash! JETII

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430