SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 07:46 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who is left who is foolish enough not to have taken care of the recall?
Jennifer
Old 06-02-14, 07:54 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Yep. The rest of us are all in.
Old 06-03-14, 01:03 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjspirer
Am I the only one who is left who is foolish enough not to have taken care of the recall?
Jennifer
Nope.

I'm also still on the fence, imagining all of the things that can go wrong when they tear the dash apart.

I have heard that certain dealers have discovered how to do the change-out without dash disassembly by removing the passenger seat and laying down on their back to reach behind the dash from below.

I am considering going in to my local $tealership and discussing it with them.
Old 06-03-14, 01:30 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jennifer
SC430 owners are not foolish For many years I have driven without airbags, because nothing happened does not mean will not happen!
Originally Posted by SC43052
I'm also still on the fence, imagining all of the things that can go wrong when they tear the dash apart.
I am considering going in to my local $tealership and discussing it with them.
Can they not run vin# and verify the need to replace? (basic Q, must have been discussed earlier....)
Old 06-03-14, 02:40 PM
tdedden
Rookie

Originally Posted by jspbtown
I brought my 2002 SC430 in for the recall and it needed it done.

I got it back and all seemed fine for about a week, at least I didn't really notice anything. Then I began to notice I seemed to be getting alot of hot air out of the vents at my feet and on my dash, even with the climate control off. For several days I just closed the dash vents (which I never did before) and the feet were fine because it was brisk out.

The the weather started to change and I noticed I was so warm I would have to open the window a hair even with the climate control off. Then two days ago I tried the AC and all I get is hot hot air. The fan works just fine, the AC light comes on (no blinking) but I just get 100% hot hot air no matter what I set the temp to. It wasn't like this all winter because I would use the defrost and reduce the temp down and it would be cooler than the hottest temp. Now I can't get the defrost any cooler.

I checked every fuse and swapped relays and nothing. The AC compressor does not engage.

Just a coincidence or could they have not connected something during this recall repair? I called the dealer and their first response was "Oh there would be nothing in the recall that we would have done that might cause this". I am not so sure with such an extensive repair.

Thoughts?
My 2002 has hot air coming from the floor vents when the top is open; however the heat and A/C system is turned off. I've been meaning to check the manual to see if there's a setting that makes that happen. I'm concerned now that I've read this. Am I the only one experiencing this anomaly?
Old 06-03-14, 07:27 PM
Bubblez
Driver School Candidate

They check two numbers. Your vin and a number on the air bag. My dealer checked the air bag number without removing the dash. And mine did not require the replacement on my 2002.

The decision to replace or not seemed pretty simple me. If the possibility of dealing with the frustration caused by a poorly done replacement is more important than the passengers safety, then don't bother with either having it checked or having it replaced, otherwise just do it.
Old 06-04-14, 04:38 AM
JETII
Driver School Candidate

SC43052....ask the dealership if they know how to do it without removing the dash. I had mine done in KC and they removed the passenger seat, glove box and replaced the airbag.
Old 06-04-14, 06:32 AM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bubblez
The decision to replace or not seemed pretty simple me. If the possibility of dealing with the frustration caused by a poorly done replacement is more important than the passengers safety, then don't bother with either having it checked or having it replaced, otherwise just do it.
This. Find a good dealer with an excellent service department and get the work done.
Old 06-04-14, 06:55 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdedden
My 2002 has hot air coming from the floor vents when the top is open; however the heat and A/C system is turned off. I've been meaning to check the manual to see if there's a setting that makes that happen. I'm concerned now that I've read this. Am I the only one experiencing this anomaly?
This is common to the SC430. It is the way the car was designed. It's not an anomaly, and there's nothing to fix
Old 06-04-14, 07:25 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

If you look back on the posts, I think you will find that the problems reported here were early in the process. My service manager mentioned, when I took mine in, that they had done quite a few and knew how to get everything done right and put back together correctly. Even though it did not take as long as expected, I cannot discern that my dash was taken apart. I don't think that this should continue to be a cause for concern or delay in getting this work done.
Old 06-06-14, 06:20 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone. I have an appointment on Tuesday. I spoke to the tech manager today and told him my concerns. I said that my car had no issues and that I intended to take photographs of the interior of the car (but I said it in a "nice" way). He told me that they had done more than 30 cars and that that they had only 3 technicians who were allowed to do this work. I was cautiously reassured. He also said that the entire job should not take more than three or four hours and that Lexus gives them approximately $400 for the job. Thanks for all of the advice! I will post with the results. Thanks for your patience with me.
Old 06-10-14, 06:10 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

My husband drove my car to Lexus and was met by the "service advisor" who said "your wife really loves this car and is so knowledgeable, she could work for us!" A few hours later he called and said the repair wasn't needed. Apparently, they use a scope to see the numbers on the inflator. When my husband went to pick up the car a few hours later, and it came out, clean inside and out, the service guy said what a beautiful car. "We don't see many Midnight Pine Pearl with Saddle. It's rare! " "We were so glad we didn't have to remove the dash… she would have killed us!" My husband thought that was very funny, I guess at my expense. He said that I treat the car like a museum piece! A shaggy dog story at best. I'm very happy and thank you to everyone who encouraged me to take care of this.
Old 08-11-14, 11:53 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tdedden
They screwed up my A/C vents and I didn't have any air coming out of the defrost vents. They also broke my parrot blue tooth. All in all, they had my car for about 50 days.

Now I just received another notice, that there is another recall that needs to be done, so I will be taking it in again.
Old 08-11-14, 12:06 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Oh no! I've heard about this, but haven't received a notice yet. Sorry emg2919 about what they did to your car. Has Lexus taken any responsibility?
Old 08-18-14, 09:21 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh no! I've heard about this, but haven't received a notice yet. Sorry emg2919 about what they did to your car. Has Lexus taken any responsibility?
Yes, I took it back...twice. The first time was for the Parrot BT that wasnt hooked up, and the 2nd time was for the defrost air being incorrectly hooked up. (not hooked up at all). Come to think of it, on the ride in this AM my feet were getting cold, there was some (a little) cool air going through the lower vents, even though it was set for just the upper vents. Not sure if it's residual, or if they still didn't hook it up properly.

I highly recommend taking an iphone video of the interior of your car, everything working. The windows, power locks, a/c, a/c vents, radio cover, dash, bluetooth, etc. take this with a phone, and put a newspaper in front of the video to start, so you can verify the date/time if needed.

That's what I'm going to do before I schedule to take mine in again. Makes it really easy to prove that they screwed something up.

Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430