SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 01:30 PM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today my inflator has been replaced.

I was al little bit worries because of all the mods I have, but I explained the most senior technician what kind of mods I have and that I have made pictures of the whole dashboard.

After all I worried to much because everything workes fine. They even fixed my radio receiver and shield of the audio system so thumbs up for Lexus Amsterdam Zuidoost in the Netherlands!!!
Old 10-11-13, 04:48 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to wait a month and then contact the two dealers nearby... Westport and Greenwich CT to see how many they have done. I don't particularly like Westport because when I walked into the dealership in '02 to buy the car (for cash, but they didn't realize that), they tried to sell me an ES (lol). I guess I didn't fit the profile (long hair, jeans and boots, and a girl). A real attitude that I didn't appreciate then and I really resent now.
But, boy do I love this car! The only problems that I have had over the years have been the battery (car not driven enough) solved easily with an inexpensive electric battery charger, and the tire inflation alarm. Otherwise, everything has been perfect! I would buy this car (can't afford it now!) again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-12-13, 08:16 AM
barncat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjspirer
I'm going to wait a month and then contact the two dealers nearby... Westport and Greenwich CT to see how many they have done. I don't particularly like Westport because when I walked into the dealership in '02 to buy the car (for cash, but they didn't realize that), they tried to sell me an ES (lol). I guess I didn't fit the profile (long hair, jeans and boots, and a girl). A real attitude that I didn't appreciate then and I really resent now.
But, boy do I love this car! The only problems that I have had over the years have been the battery (car not driven enough) solved easily with an inexpensive electric battery charger, and the tire inflation alarm. Otherwise, everything has been perfect! I would buy this car (can't afford it now!) again in a heartbeat.
A BMW dealer did the same thing to me years ago and a Honda dealer refused to negotiate with me at all. I haven't been back to them since!
Old 10-12-13, 03:26 PM
HumphreySC
Driver School Candidate

Have simular experiences with the bmw dealership here in the netherlands.

If I wear my suit they appoach me wit a smile and wit my old clothes.they do not thake me seriously...

By the way I was the second car they did at the dealership. First car took 2,5 days and they finished my car in a day. I am glad I did it.
Old 10-12-13, 03:59 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Originally Posted by tofu
Don't take it in...
I took mine in last week and they inspected mine and said mine did not need replacement, I have no idea how they inspected my airbag but today I open the navigation and notice the screen does not till out it just stays way back..
The inspection entails removing the glove box.. 3 screws on top when it opens and 1 bolt on the bottom. The plastic cover hiding the wires by your feet is also removed. It is really not that intrusive because there aren't any clips or snap together fittings. This exposes the barcode. The computer is then connected to the data link connector on the driver side. A health check is performed and Lexus asks for the barcode to be scanned. They say yay or nay. glovebox is then reinstalled parts are ordered.
Old 10-14-13, 10:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
My car is being worked on now. I'll post again after I pick my car up.
I made an appointment about a week before I dropped it off. I sent my service advisor the link with all the problems that folks have seen with recall efforts and told him to make sure that those problems didn't happen on my car and that I was nervous about bringing it in because of that.

I dropped my car off and the service advisor asked me if I wanted to wait on it because he never had one that actually required the recall, although another advisor had already done two. I didn't want to wait the hour and a half that he said it would take, so I opted for the loan car. This was Tuesday. I called later in the day and found out that they hadn't checked it out yet but would the next morning.

Wednesday, the service advisor called and said that my car did need the recall service but they didn't have the part in stock. But would have it in the next day. Unfortunately, they would be closed the next day (some sort of company wide meeting or something) so it would be Friday before they would get to it. That kind of annoyed me since they should have known there was a possibility that cars are going to need the parts and should have already acquired them and they certainly knew that they would be closed for business on Thursday. (I could have told him that my car would require the recall service since it was made right in the middle of the recall range. One day he will learn to listen to me... )

Friday the service advisor calls and said that my car still wasn't ready but he had his best guy working on it. He said that the technician is slow but very thorough. (I guess he took my sending him the link with the problems to heart.)

They finished it up on Monday (or maybe late on Saturday, I forget now) and I went and picked it up on Monday afternoon. I haven't noticed any new / introduced problems from the service.

My car is a June (July?) 2002 SC430.

FWIW, here is the link with the article about the recall.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...01-2003-a.html

Last edited by Harold57; 10-14-13 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 03:32 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Our 2002 was called in and the dealer said they wouldn't know if the recall applied until they looked at it (there goes the whole VIN check idea.) ! We left the car with them for the day and didn't hear back until almost closing time. When they did call they said that our vehicle did indeed have the malfunctioning part and that it would take approximately 7-10 days to get the part in! They would have to keep the car the whole time because it was actually illegal for them to return it w/o the airbag properly working. They were going to leave us hanging but we fought for (and eventually got) a loaner for the whole time, but the whole thing seems a bit screwy to me. Why would Lexus recall a part and not readily make it available to dealers?
Old 10-19-13, 10:50 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

I picked up the 2002 SC430 today from the local Lexus dealer after they completed the airbag recall. First, I have to say I'm really picky when it comes to my automobiles. I pulled the car into the shop and told the service manager to check all my lights and anything that has to do with their repair and note that there is nothing wrong prior beginning the project. So with that being said I can testify I can't identify anywhere under the dash, top of the dash are anywhere it might look like work has been done. They did a superb job replacing what they needed to replace. I'm totally happy with their work!

As far as the time goes.....I took it in Wednesday around 10:00 am and they gave me a new CT as a loaner. My service manager called me Friday afternoon around 12:00 pm. The work was completed. So, today I picked up my 2002 SC. It had been cleaned both inside and out and presented to me with a full tank of gas. My experience to date was a pleasant one.

Yes, like most others, I worried about them getting into my dash and leaving a rattle or a light flickering. So I'm relieved mine successfully made it...(-:

I just thought I would give a little feedback to those that haven't had the experience yet. Reminder.....My 2003 SC430 did NOT need the replacement.

Cheers,

Larry
Old 10-19-13, 12:18 PM
PATLESS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
I picked up the 2002 SC430 today from the local Lexus dealer after they completed the airbag recall. First, I have to say I'm really picky when it comes to my automobiles. I pulled the car into the shop and told the service manager to check all my lights and anything that has to do with their repair and note that there is nothing wrong prior beginning the project. So with that being said I can testify I can't identify anywhere under the dash, top of the dash are anywhere it might look like work has been done. They did a superb job replacing what they needed to replace. I'm totally happy with their work!

As far as the time goes.....I took it in Wednesday around 10:00 am and they gave me a new CT as a loaner. My service manager called me Friday afternoon around 12:00 pm. The work was completed. So, today I picked up my 2002 SC. It had been cleaned both inside and out and presented to me with a full tank of gas. My experience to date was a pleasant one.

Yes, like most others, I worried about them getting into my dash and leaving a rattle or a light flickering. So I'm relieved mine successfully made it...(-:

I just thought I would give a little feedback to those that haven't had the experience yet. Reminder.....My 2003 SC430 did NOT need the replacement.

Cheers,

Larry
Wish I could say the same. I did the same as you, told and showed the service mgr. that all the lights and interior were perfect. Well, when I went to pick it up I found that they reconnected the TPMS, which is no big deal, but they managed to tear the leather on the steering wheel . Needless to say, they promptly told me to leave the car and they will take care of it. Will keep you updated
Old 10-20-13, 07:15 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Default Airbag recall

Brought my '02 into Hoffman Lexus in Newington Ct on a Friday afternoon two weeks ago for the airbag recall. I was told they would inspect on Monday and call me if it needed the module replaced. Drove home in a 2013 230 w/ 250 miles on it. That little puppy gets out of its own way. They called Monday said they would get to it Monday afternoon and call me back. They did, the module did not have to be replaced was there anything else I wanted done. Please replace the windshield washer hose (rodent chewed thru it), they did it on Tuesday, hourly rate bill. Could not pick the car up till Wednesday - no problem they said. Picked up my car, exterior was washed, all good to go. Will be going back to them for any future service work, an all around good experience. Just came back from the Wool Festival (wife's hobby) in NYS, car just turned 11,000 miles: thumbup:
Old 10-20-13, 07:18 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by indawire
Brought my '02 into Hoffman Lexus in Newington Ct on a Friday afternoon two weeks ago for the airbag recall. I was told they would inspect on Monday and call me if it needed the module replaced. Drove home in a 2013 230 w/ 250 miles on it. That little puppy gets out of its own way. They called Monday said they would get to it Monday afternoon and call me back. They did, the module did not have to be replaced was there anything else I wanted done. Please replace the windshield washer hose (rodent chewed thru it), they did it on Tuesday, hourly rate bill. Could not pick the car up till Wednesday - no problem they said. Picked up my car, exterior was washed, all good to go. Will be going back to them for any future service work, an all around good experience. Just came back from the Wool Festival (wife's hobby) in NYS, car just turned 11,000 miles: thumbup:
Is that 110.000 miles or 11.000 miles
Old 10-21-13, 06:43 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has been at the Lexus dealer since Sept 18, and still waiting for it to be finished. I was told that potentially today is the day. I have had a loaner from the beginning, which makes this tolerable.
Old 10-21-13, 05:44 PM
Idaho430
Rookie

Originally Posted by emg2919
Mine has been at the Lexus dealer since Sept 18, and still waiting for it to be finished. I was told that potentially today is the day. I have had a loaner from the beginning, which makes this tolerable.
Wow...that's longer than mine. Mine is on it's second week and part is not expected until Friday. They said the part is now back ordered nationwide.
Old 10-21-13, 07:10 PM
indawire
Driver School Candidate

Default Not a typo

mrblister - that's no typo, it's a true 11,000 miles on the odo. Bought the car in April '13 with 3,500 miles in it. Be using it a s a daily driver ever since.Sat untouched in a driveway for three years when I found it. New tires, oil, filter, battery and it's rockin.
Old 10-21-13, 07:14 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by indawire
mrblister - that's no typo, it's a true 11,000 miles on the odo. Bought the car in April '13 with 3,500 miles in it. Be using it a s a daily driver ever since.Sat untouched in a driveway for three years when I found it. New tires, oil, filter, battery and it's rockin.
Nice find . I bought mine new have 7263 miles on it I only use it when I can put the top down

Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430