SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall for 02-04 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 10:35 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

UGAALF, did you replace the headunit? If so, which one did you go with?
Old 03-18-14, 12:57 PM
UGAALF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
UGAALF, did you replace the headunit? If so, which one did you go with?
I went with the Kenwood. I dont have the model number with me, but it has been discussed in previous threads. I do not have steering wheel controls, but overall I am pleased with the unit and its performance.
Old 04-16-14, 04:47 PM
jspbtown
Driver School Candidate

Default Now the ac doesn't work

I brought my 2002 SC430 in for the recall and it needed it done.

I got it back and all seemed fine for about a week, at least I didn't really notice anything. Then I began to notice I seemed to be getting alot of hot air out of the vents at my feet and on my dash, even with the climate control off. For several days I just closed the dash vents (which I never did before) and the feet were fine because it was brisk out.

The the weather started to change and I noticed I was so warm I would have to open the window a hair even with the climate control off. Then two days ago I tried the AC and all I get is hot hot air. The fan works just fine, the AC light comes on (no blinking) but I just get 100% hot hot air no matter what I set the temp to. It wasn't like this all winter because I would use the defrost and reduce the temp down and it would be cooler than the hottest temp. Now I can't get the defrost any cooler.

I checked every fuse and swapped relays and nothing. The AC compressor does not engage.

Just a coincidence or could they have not connected something during this recall repair? I called the dealer and their first response was "Oh there would be nothing in the recall that we would have done that might cause this". I am not so sure with such an extensive repair.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-14, 04:56 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jspbtown
I brought my 2002 SC430 in for the recall and it needed it done.

I got it back and all seemed fine for about a week, at least I didn't really notice anything. Then I began to notice I seemed to be getting alot of hot air out of the vents at my feet and on my dash, even with the climate control off. For several days I just closed the dash vents (which I never did before) and the feet were fine because it was brisk out.

The the weather started to change and I noticed I was so warm I would have to open the window a hair even with the climate control off. Then two days ago I tried the AC and all I get is hot hot air. The fan works just fine, the AC light comes on (no blinking) but I just get 100% hot hot air no matter what I set the temp to. It wasn't like this all winter because I would use the defrost and reduce the temp down and it would be cooler than the hottest temp. Now I can't get the defrost any cooler.

I checked every fuse and swapped relays and nothing. The AC compressor does not engage.

Just a coincidence or could they have not connected something during this recall repair? I called the dealer and their first response was "Oh there would be nothing in the recall that we would have done that might cause this". I am not so sure with such an extensive repair.

Thoughts?
The air bag recall is VERY VERY invasive. How can they diagnose they did not do anything with out seeing the car. Can you spell Lexus corporate. They should look at car at the very least. People make mistakes so do mechanics
Old 04-16-14, 07:22 PM
jspbtown
Driver School Candidate

I have made an appointment with the dealer. I am hoping for the best. We shall see.
Old 04-16-14, 07:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Stand your ground. Be firm. Good luck.
Old 04-17-14, 08:34 AM
jspbtown
Driver School Candidate

One of the other things I noticed today was that changing the direction of the flow (feet/face, or just feet) doesn't work. Hot air is always coming out of the upper and dash vents. It was never like that before.
Old 04-17-14, 08:58 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Since they have to take the whole dash apart to do that fix, it's apparent that something was done in there to cause that air handling problem. Res Ipsa Loquitor, as we used to say when we actually learned stuff in school.
Old 04-17-14, 09:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Go back go back there bad
Old 04-17-14, 03:37 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I guess I got lucky...I took my Sc into Sewell in Dallas on thurs(4/10) about 6pm. They called me about 4:30p fri (4/11) & told me it was ready.I just knew it would take 3/4 days minimum, so when they called, I was in Houston in their ES hybrid...lol....so far,so good. I did ask them to take a look at my nav door, because it stopped working awhile back. I had read here that it could possibly come off the track/hinge. The door still isn't working & nothing was mentioned about it,although it was noted on the repair order to look into it
Old 04-17-14, 05:15 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

One of the other things I noticed today was that changing the direction of the flow (feet/face, or just feet) doesn't work. Hot air is always coming out of the upper and dash vents. It was never like that before.
Sounds like it could be as simple as not reconnecting the power to the bend doors, one things that bothers me is what they said without even looking at your car. Go in nice but go in hard like has been said! Good luck. Not Latin, but they "F" ed it up, they need to fix it!
Old 04-21-14, 09:13 AM
jspbtown
Driver School Candidate

Well I dropped it off this morning and had a nerve racking discussion with the service guy.

He says "Well its been 2700 miles since we worked on it so I don't know if its anything we did". I said "Well I drive it alot but when did I bring it in for the recall?". He says "March 31st". I said "No way I put 2700 miles on it in 3 weeks". So he looks again and says "oh...sorry...I mean 1700 but that is still alot". Well yeah....I do about 100 miles a day for my work commute. Big deal.

I tell him when I got it back it was still cool so I didn't notice that the heat was basically on all the time. His eyes perk right up and I say "Cool outside....not that the climate control was cool". I told him I have never had an issue with the climate control until it came in to his shop. I said I found it hard to believe that everything magically failed right after, and independently of, the dash being removed.

Needless to say I got into work 1.5 hours later and I had a call from him on my voicemail saying that it was a clip that wasn't pushed in all the way.

Of course he also said he noticed that they suggested a new airfilter and brakes last time I was in and wanted to know if I wanted them done. I guess he didn't notice the new filter I installed 2 weeks ago and the slotted/cross drilled rotors and ceramic pad I installed at the same time.

So looks like they will just eat this fix with no extra work order from me. I will just enjoy the GS350 they gave me for the day.
Old 04-21-14, 10:12 AM
momssc
Driver

Well I dropped it off this morning and had a nerve racking discussion with the service guy.

He says "Well its been 2700 miles since we worked on it so I don't know if its anything we did". I said "Well I drive it alot but when did I bring it in for the recall?". He says "March 31st". I said "No way I put 2700 miles on it in 3 weeks". So he looks again and says "oh...sorry...I mean 1700 but that is still alot". Well yeah....I do about 100 miles a day for my work commute. Big deal.

I tell him when I got it back it was still cool so I didn't notice that the heat was basically on all the time. His eyes perk right up and I say "Cool outside....not that the climate control was cool". I told him I have never had an issue with the climate control until it came in to his shop. I said I found it hard to believe that everything magically failed right after, and independently of, the dash being removed.

Needless to say I got into work 1.5 hours later and I had a call from him on my voicemail saying that it was a clip that wasn't pushed in all the way.

Of course he also said he noticed that they suggested a new airfilter and brakes last time I was in and wanted to know if I wanted them done. I guess he didn't notice the new filter I installed 2 weeks ago and the slotted/cross drilled rotors and ceramic pad I installed at the same time.

So looks like they will just eat this fix with no extra work order from me. I will just enjoy the GS350 they gave me for the day.
Another fine example of why I will ignore this recall..
Old 04-21-14, 03:28 PM
jspbtown
Driver School Candidate

Picked up the car. All is well. The Service Adviser didn't even come out. He sent the keys with their greeter. You would think that he would have at least come out to apologize. The trip added 2 hours to my commute today.
Old 04-22-14, 05:22 AM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

And I thought my Jeep dealer was bad!

Quick Reply: Recall for 02-04 Sc430