SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Head Rest

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 04:59 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Head Rest

Thanks for all the help in the past...I have one more question. My rear headrest (behind the passenger) has slipped and has moved...does anyone know how to remove the rear headrest?
Old 05-26-13, 05:09 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Moondog
Thanks for all the help in the past...I have one more question. My rear headrest (behind the passenger) has slipped and has moved...does anyone know how to remove the rear headrest?
If you are talking about the front seat passengers head rest there is a push tab on the base of one of the rods that go into the seat. Feel with your fingers and press when you are able to press it down then pull upward on the headrest, I am not sure I understand what you mean that the head rest moved. You can simple pull them forward or backward to change the angle with out removing them if that is what your issue is. In the owners manual there is a picture of the button you press.
Old 05-26-13, 05:10 PM
Moondog
Driver

No, I am referring to the rear headrest behind the passenger.
Old 05-26-13, 05:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear headrest is not removable. It houses the protective beam that stabilizes the car in the event of a rollover.

So, the question is, how the hell could it move?

Pics?
Old 05-26-13, 05:57 PM
Moondog
Driver

The leather on the headrest has moved.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Head Rest-dsc00699.jpg   Rear Head Rest-dsc00700.jpg  
Old 05-26-13, 06:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Now your talking. When asking for help its a good idea to show pics when possible. There have been other members that have had this issue. I believe it was a repairable by a upholstery shop.
Old 05-26-13, 06:23 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's this... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...enna-woes.html (view the PDFs)

and ...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html
Old 05-26-13, 06:39 PM
Moondog
Driver

Alex, that helps...easier than I thought. I won't be able to do it for a couple of days, but, if I can fix it I will post some pics. Thanks Keith
Old 05-26-13, 07:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default head rest back

This is what you will be dealing with once you remove back of the head rest. the leather is stapled
Attached Thumbnails Rear Head Rest-headrest-back.jpg  
Old 05-27-13, 05:46 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our forum members are the best ! Great info guys!
Old 05-27-13, 06:53 PM
Moondog
Driver

Absolutely, thank you very much! I will post some pictures later.... I will get this done later in the week. I had to do some traveling or some work... :-)
Old 05-28-13, 03:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This thread has the exact problem where the leather has pulled away from the head rest. The pictures in that thread look just like yours.
Old 05-28-13, 05:38 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm such an idiot! FML I took my head rests off while refoaming my rear speakers and dropped a nut from the back of the head rest unit on the driver's side into the mechanical area right below it when buttoning everything back up. I did everything I could to try to find it; no luck. Top halfway up, quarter up, quarter down, halfway down. Even used a magnetic pick up tool, and still nothing. Really scared it's going to end up in one of the gears and boom... K.I.A. The milisecond I felt it fall through my fingers, I literally screamed, "Ohhh no!" Anyone got any ideas?

Ps. it's the associated nut that attaches to the bolt in MrBlister's Post #9.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-28-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 05:52 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

You should be able to just remove the seat back and the bottom and do a search for the missing nut. It might be easier to find it a day later when your fresh. As a foot note to this when I am removing or re-installing nuts I paint them with a high glow neon dye for just this possible issue. A dab of air condition leak test dye can go a long way to help you find a missing part Especially when its challenging to get to the nut or screw.. Take your time you will find it and you will have peace of mind .
Old 05-28-13, 10:38 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you're ready to sell remind us to avoid purchasing your car

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I'm such an idiot! FML I took my head rests off while refoaming my rear speakers and dropped a nut from the back of the head rest unit on the driver's side into the mechanical area right below it when buttoning everything back up. I did everything I could to try to find it; no luck. Top halfway up, quarter up, quarter down, halfway down. Even used a magnetic pick up tool, and still nothing. Really scared it's going to end up in one of the gears and boom... K.I.A. The milisecond I felt it fall through my fingers, I literally screamed, "Ohhh no!" Anyone got any ideas?

Ps. it's the associated nut that attaches to the bolt in MrBlister's Post #9.

Quick Reply: Rear Head Rest