SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

GloveBox Removal

Old 05-24-13, 12:54 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default GloveBox Removal

Anyone have any experience with removing the entire glove box? I want to be able to get behind it to run some wires, while avoiding the airbag unit, of course. I tried to remove the little twisty clips on the sides but it still didn't come loose and I don't want to apply too much pressure. Any pics or detailed instructions would be helpful. I don't want to end up inadvertently breaking any of the mounting clips for it. Thanks.
Old 05-24-13, 01:41 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Anyone have any experience with removing the entire glove box? I want to be able to get behind it to run some wires, while avoiding the airbag unit, of course. I tried to remove the little twisty clips on the sides but it still didn't come loose and I don't want to apply too much pressure. Any pics or detailed instructions would be helpful. I don't want to end up inadvertently breaking any of the mounting clips for it. Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...placement.html
[ This link has threads in it ]

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html
[ this link shows the break down ]

Do a search there are a lot of posts reff this. You will have to remove the seat heater controls as well as other things to get to what you want. When I needed to run wires I just pushed them up and in from the outside of the glove box and this allowed me to get the wires into the glove box with out having to remove it. the sides of the console where it meets to the the top of the glove box has some play in it . I pressed it in and then put wires inside

Last edited by mrblister; 05-24-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 01:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...placement.html
[ This link has threads in it ]

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html
[ this link shows the break down ]

Do a search there are a lot of posts reff this. You will have to remove the seat heater controls as well as other things to get to what you want. When I needed to run wires I just pushed them up and in from the outside of the glove box and this allowed me to get the wires into the glove box with out having to remove it. the sides of the console where it meets to the the top of the glove box has some play in it . I pressed it in and then put wires inside
Thanks MrBlister, sorry didn't read it fully. I understand how to disassemble the center console. I'm looking to drill into the side of the glove box so I can install an aux input jack into it. Removing the entire thing will give me more room and prevent the drill chuck from scratching the upper portion of the glove box. If this makes sense. Anyone got an idea how to drop it down to be removed?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-24-13 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 02:22 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES, TURN THE TWO LITTLE *****, then they should pull straight out that would be toward the center of the glove box. I used a small screwdriver to pry them a little. Hopefully that give you the access you need. Change the filter on the air box when you are in there.

I am thinking that if you want to remove it entirely, you have to take out the center console. But I could be wrong.

Then there are two screws under the box on the far left and right that are 10mm that have to be removed for the hinge portion. on the right it is under the door trim near the gasket (in the door jam). On the left it was near the center. Once you get those out, you take off the wires then it should all come out.

Good luck
Old 05-24-13, 02:35 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Anyone have any experience with removing the entire glove box? I want to be able to get behind it to run some wires, while avoiding the airbag unit, of course. I tried to remove the little twisty clips on the sides but it still didn't come loose and I don't want to apply too much pressure. Any pics or detailed instructions would be helpful. I don't want to end up inadvertently
breaking any of the mounting clips for it. Thanks.

In the owners manual there us a section there how to
Change the cabin air filter you will need to read that
Them once you have the glove box in it's
Extended position and the stays that hold it up
Are removed ( they come out of the way during
The cabin filter removal) you will find approx 4 to 5
Bolts or phillips head screws when you remove
Them the entire glove box will be removable
You nay have to un plug light ?