Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-13, 04:29 PM   #1
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Red face DVDNAV Media Integration- NAVIKS

So I know there are tons of threads out there about this topic, but I have chosen to modify my install slightly. I know that many that choose to install a DVD player into the factory DVD interface have usually gone with NavTool. Since I've noticed and read that NavTool has been removed from this forum as a sponsor, I've chosen another route. I am going to try another company I found, called NAVIKS for the plug and play video integration in my 2002 SC430, and will also be adding a media player rather than a DVD player. As more details start to solidify, I will update this thread. Currently I have the media player, Asus O!Play Mini, which works with all media types including external hard drives up to 2TB and thumb drives and actually runs on a 12V DC car adapter (I bought from Radio Shack). I've been warned about the heat dissipation and will take that into account in my install. I've ordered the NAVIKS unit from New York and it's in transit. The NAVIKS installation seems pretty straight forward with full, easy to understand, diagrammed instructions. It supposedly is simple plug and play with the SC430 specific harness and minimal wire tapping for the power and ground to the unit. The unit also allows for an back up camera, but since I don't have one, I will be omitting this step (or adding it later). Hope I sparked some interest, and any comments or words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 09:28 PM   #2
texsexlex
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
texsexlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 414
Send a message via Yahoo to texsexlex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnOk View Post
So I know there are tons of threads out there about this topic, but I have chosen to modify my install slightly. I know that many that choose to install a DVD player into the factory DVD interface have usually gone with NavTool. Since I've noticed and read that NavTool has been removed from this forum as a sponsor, I've chosen another route. I am going to try another company I found, called NAVIKS for the plug and play video integration in my 2002 SC430, and will also be adding a media player rather than a DVD player. As more details start to solidify, I will update this thread. Currently I have the media player, Asus O!Play Mini, which works with all media types including external hard drives up to 2TB and thumb drives and actually runs on a 12V DC car adapter (I bought from Radio Shack). I've been warned about the heat dissipation and will take that into account in my install. I've ordered the NAVIKS unit from New York and it's in transit. The NAVIKS installation seems pretty straight forward with full, easy to understand, diagrammed instructions. It supposedly is simple plug and play with the SC430 specific harness and minimal wire tapping for the power and ground to the unit. The unit also allows for an back up camera, but since I don't have one, I will be omitting this step (or adding it later). Hope I sparked some interest, and any comments or words of advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
..I say good luck & go for it !!!...I've been thinking about doing this mod in the future,but it's on a long list of others...lol
texsexlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 05:05 AM   #3
JohnnyCake
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
JohnnyCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 1,068
Default

How does the NAVIKS differ from the NAVTOOL?
__________________
2006 Lexus SC430 - Smoky Mica Granite with Black interior. MODS: DISABLED Nav data entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED phone entry lockout when in motion; DISABLED "I agree" screen; DISABLEDSeat belt chime ADDED: Remote Functions via Cell Phone; LuxLink; NavTool Backup Cam; Sirius XM Radio; Vais iPod adapter; Blitz cabin filter.
JohnnyCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 04:07 PM   #4
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCake View Post
How does the NAVIKS differ from the NAVTOOL?
Well I have yet to install it, but once I receive it and try it out I will definitely write a full review with photos. I believe it does have the same functional capabilities as NavTool. To be honest though, the main deciding factor for me in this instance was the price. I could not justify the retail price of NavTool at $400, and thus I decided to give NAVIKS a try. Plus, upon contacting them to get more info on the product, they were extremely eager to help me with whatever questions I had. Responses within hours. (Just a side note, I mention this b'c I'm going through a Better Business Bureau battle with Rocketfish Electronics over a surge protector that caught fire and burned out my laptop. Worst customer service, ever.) Anyway, I'm excited about this DVDNAV project.
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 06:51 PM   #5
FLYCT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 799
Default

Shawn,

Navtool sells their unit for $209 directly on eBay.



Jr
__________________

Current Vehicles;
2008 SC430 Matador Red/Ecru
2012 CT200h Premium, Starfire Pearl-Black Leather

2007 SC430 Mercury Metallic/Saddle (traded)
2009 LS460 Mercury Metallic/Gray (sold)
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 08:20 PM   #6
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

Hmm that is true, FlyCT. Mind blown. Haha. Well, I'm still going to stick it out with NAVIKS, especially since they were so helpful on all my questions and concerns before ordering, and still cheaper than NavTool in the end. Especially, with all the mods I have lined up, every cent counts. Next project: Vais SL2U. Not a cheap adventure either. Guess, we'll just see how it turns out and compare after. Thanks for the input. :-)
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 06:59 AM   #7
FLYCT
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 799
Default

I had a VAIS SL2U installed in both of my SC430s. I also purchased a blackberry Bluetooth gateway for each. I use pandora radio from my iPhone to steam music to the cars via bluetooth and never use FM radio.

This is a great combination.

I had the local Best Buy store install the SL2U for $50.

One car came with a SL2Up which had an iPod 30 pin flat connector but no aux audio or RCA input. It had the advantage of eliminating having to push the "I Agree" screen on the Nav. I much prefer the Bluetooth input rather than having to connect my iPhone via cable.

JR
__________________

Current Vehicles;
2008 SC430 Matador Red/Ecru
2012 CT200h Premium, Starfire Pearl-Black Leather

2007 SC430 Mercury Metallic/Saddle (traded)
2009 LS460 Mercury Metallic/Gray (sold)
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 11:12 AM   #8
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCT View Post
I had a VAIS SL2U installed in both of my SC430s. I also purchased a blackberry Bluetooth gateway for each. I use pandora radio from my iPhone to steam music to the cars via bluetooth and never use FM radio.

This is a great combination.

I had the local Best Buy store install the SL2U for $50.

One car came with a SL2Up which had an iPod 30 pin flat connector but no aux audio or RCA input. It had the advantage of eliminating having to push the "I Agree" screen on the Nav. I much prefer the Bluetooth input rather than having to connect my iPhone via cable.

JR
Well currently my plan is to finish with this NAVIKS install with the Asus Oplay Media Player and then the split an auxiliary input into the headunit. 1st input will go through an Eagle Tech Bluetooth adapter with mic passthrough to give a true auxiliary input for the media player audio. 2nd input will allow charging and play of an Ipod through a 30pin connector. I'm actually leaning away from Vais SL2u now. I found another option that might fit my needs more, iSimple Tranzit IS77. Check it out and tell me what you all think. Lots of good reviews. There is also an iSimple Tranzit Blu (Bluetooth), but it does not have an auxiliary input so it won't work with my media player (which I would rather have hard wired for better quality and no sound lag when playing video). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-11-13 at 11:17 AM..
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-13, 10:57 PM   #9
aaron0815
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 19
Default

looking forward to see the result!
aaron0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 07:16 PM   #10
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

Here's my drawrrrring of the proposed wiring plan... All the products arrived today, so I will post photos of them soon.

1) It seems that iSimple changed the type of input connectors on the IS77, the hard wired adjustable gain FM modulator with dual inputs (30pin play and charge Ipod connector and 3.5mm aux) from RCA inputs to some type of 3 pin lock connector. I spent the majority of afternoon going to car stereo installation, computer repair, home improvement, and security shops looking for it. Finally got lucky and found a compatible Y connector at the RC Hobby Shop (Traxxas Servo Y Connector- TRA 2046-$4). Tested it for continuity and voltage and seems to work. So far so good.

2) The NAVIKS is looking like a pretty simple plug and play install with the vehicle specific harness. It will require a piggyback wire connection on any reverse lamp lead to serve as a toggle switch and 2 piggybacks on the OEM Nav harness for power and ground; but doesn't seem like it will be too difficult since they've included the location and wire colors in the directions. Currently I don't have a back up camera but plan to make the connections in case I choose to add one in the future. The unit also has an adjustable brightness control which seems like a good option.

3) The Asus O!play Mini Media player has played every media file type I've thrown at it so far. Even has enough power to run my 2TB external hard drive off a 12volt DC cigarette adapter. It has RCA outputs, HDMI Out, SD/Media Card Input, and USB 2.0 input. It also has a remote which is nice for navigating screen menus on whatever media you decide to play from.

4) The EagleTech/Arion Bluetooth Receiver is awesome! Allows me to play music through a 3.5mm input as a passthrough when powered off (which will connect to the media player), and also allows for Bluetooth streaming from any Bluetooth device into the same output. I'm using my Android phone and the greatest feature is that the little adapter allows you to change track, volume, play and pause all from a this little remote. Never even have to take the phone out of my pocket. In addition it also allows for Bluetooth phone protocol service so you can make and receive calls directly on the adapter since it has a mic. I can also use voice dialing. Great phone quality too. It has a microUSB port for charging and 6 hours constant use battery life (I've been running it all day playing music).

Running project total: $333. Well that's it for now. More to come soon as I do the install over the next week. Thanks for reading, everyone. Finger's crossed on my first project..

>>>UPDATE: please see post #15

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-22-13 at 10:40 PM..
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 08:03 AM   #11
Habious
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Habious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 2,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnOk View Post
2) The NAVIKS is looking like a pretty simple plug and play install with the vehicle specific harness. It will require a piggyback wire connection on any reverse lamp lead to serve as a toggle switch and 2 piggybacks on the OEM Nav harness for power and ground; but doesn't seem like it will be too difficult since they've included the location and wire colors in the directions. Currently I don't have a back up camera but plan to make the connections in case I choose to add one in the future. The unit also has an adjustable brightness control which seems like a good option.
If the NAVIKS works anything like the NavTool, if you hook up reverse-sense wire but don't have a backup camera, your nav screen will go black/blank when the car is in reverse. This overrides even the factory navigation map display.

Just FYI.

You could wire it up with a quick connector on the reverse-sense lead, and leave it disconnected for now. That way, if/when you add in a backup camera, you just have to plug the connectors together.
__________________
2003 Lexus SC430 - Black with Ecru interior. VaisTech & NavTool interfaces with Centrafuse CarPC integrated into factory navigation screen (includes hands-free Bluetooth, Voice Command, mp3 support, videos, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite radio, DVD playback, Internet access, and digital gauge cluster (via OBD-II))...LuxLink remote top/start module, and GlobalTop HUD unit.
My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
Habious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 09:23 AM   #12
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
If the NAVIKS works anything like the NavTool, if you hook up reverse-sense wire but don't have a backup camera, your nav screen will go black/blank when the car is in reverse. This overrides even the factory navigation map display.

Just FYI.

You could wire it up with a quick connector on the reverse-sense lead, and leave it disconnected for now. That way, if/when you add in a backup camera, you just have to plug the connectors together.
Good idea! I see what exactly you mean. Thanks.
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:57 PM   #13
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

The Gear...
Attached Images
     
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-13, 07:59 PM   #14
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Talking

..........
Attached Images
  
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 02:54 PM   #15
ShawnOk
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
ShawnOk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 682
Default

So I got the Naviks installed and it is awesome! I'm no electrical engineer or cyborg from the future, but even I was able to install the unit on my own (with some minor assistance from a friend), so anyone should be able to do it. It was really simple with the included directions. I will say that I did have to call tech support about one thing: there was a white wire that I wasn't sure what to connect to. Called them and got an answer immediately from a tech. Apparently the white wire is for Volvo's and isn't needed in our SC430's. Tested it out with the Media Player and worked perfectly. Normal navigation still works when the toggle switch is flipped, and putting the car in reverse kicked it into backup camera mode. I hooked all the connections directly to the 18pin connector harness using wire tap connectors (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/6...pg_250x250.jpg) since the directions told me exactly which wires in the harness did what. Now I just have to run the wires into the cabin of the car and connect the audio portion of the project. I've decided to change my wiring schematic a little. Rather than install the Media Player in the center console, I'm going to run it into the glove box. This will allow me greater access to use the remote control. I've included the new schematic. Hope this thread is keeping everyone's interest.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-22-13 at 10:39 PM..
ShawnOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13, 02:54 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
400h, back, camera, converter, diagram, dvd nav, hyundai, installation, is77, isimple, lexus, media player, movies, naviks, sc430, tranzit, video, wiring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update on the 2010 SC 430 Solman SC 430 40 04-05-14 03:39 PM
Beatsonic/Metra GoIowa18 SC 430 11 07-20-13 06:33 PM
WI FS: Complete Navtool kit for 06-09 ISx50, convert non ML nav screen to play dvd 08Lexus250 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 16 10-09-12 09:43 AM
Navtool DIY ? clos430 GS - Second Generation 10 09-04-12 01:29 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info