thoughts on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 11:48 AM
tomthebomb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on possible purchase

Hello all,
I am usually on the RX350 forums reading up on stuff about my wife's car but have the bug now to drop down and get a Lexus for myself. I have always loved the 430 but it was out of my price range as new. However, I have come across a Navy Blue 2007 with 92k on the odo that is right in my price...22k.
I am a bit hesitant to purchase a car as "new" to me with 92k miles on it. I know it's a Lex but am I just going to buy into future issues and money pits in the next couple of years? The service record for this car is meticulous and it is a 1 owner vehicle.
Any thoughts on taking the plunge?

TIA,
Tom
Old 05-06-13, 01:37 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

92k is lots of miles for a 2007. But these engines can easily make it into the high 100s or more with good care. Check on timing belt, water pump, spark plugs service.
Old 05-06-13, 02:26 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lot of miles 92k but not a biggie. 100k you need a timing belt and water pump, and plugs. I would try getting it lower if possible because of the work that must be done at 100k.
Old 05-06-13, 08:46 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a lot of miles but that is a great color and with the '07 you have a lot of upgrades over the '02-05. I agree with bacardi - for the miles, at least get the corresponding services done for the same price.
Old 05-07-13, 08:28 AM
LyleJames
Driver School Candidate

For $22,000 you can find a SC430 with much lower mileage. I find an automatic assumption among many posts on this site that a newer model year is more important than the mileage on the odometer. I'm in the other camp, believing low mileage is more important than age of the car -- at least if you plan to keep the SC for a while. I bought my 2002 SC with 57K miles on it three months ago -- and at the rate I drive won't hit 100,000 miles for eight or nine years. That's a lot more comfort to me every day than being able to say my SC is a 2007 year model.
Old 05-07-13, 10:42 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree LyleJames, especially if you are one that puts a fair amount of miles on your vehicles. It is kind of a balancing act of choosing between mileage and vintage.

tomthebomb,
Determine how many miles you expect to put on the car each year, how long you expect to keep the car and what features you want on the car. These cars should easily hit 150 to 250 kmi. If treated properly, they'll go well beyond that. If you don't put many miles on a car, then age is probably more important than miles. If you puts tons of miles on a car every year, then mileage is more important to consider.

If you are a middle of the roader mileage-wise, determine how old of a car are you comfortable with driving (safety & repair-wise) and how many years worth of miles are you comfortable putting on a car with xx amount of miles already on it and you can come up with the year and mileage you will be comfortable with.

I'm kind of a middle of the roader mileage-wise, so when I look at a car, I balance my choice between age and mileage. If a 3 year old car has 50 kmi on it and a 4 year old car has 20 kmi on it, I look at the 4 year old car as having 30 kmi of life left more than the 3 year old car. For me that is between 2 & 3 years worth of driving. So for me, the 4 year old car is a younger choice for me, in that manner of speaking.

Keep watching the ads though, there are lots of the cars out there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Harold57; 05-07-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 12:33 PM
tomthebomb
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You!!

Thanks all for the great replies. Gave me plenty to think about.
I would fully agree that mileage trumps age for how best to determine potential longevity. I would probably not put that many miles on the car as it would be my "nice weather only" mode of transportation. Living in the mid-atlantic region, that would account for probably only 8-10k/year tops.
The main reason I was looking at the 06 and above was for 2 main features that were introduced in that model run, namely the 6 speed tranny and the auto lighting system. I love the AFS on my wife's RX and would greatly miss that if I purchased a Lex without it.

I contacted the dealer and brought up the fact that I am looking almost immediately at a 1000+ service. They came back with, "hey, you're in luck. We just dropped the price 1000 to the price that is listed on the website". Imagine the odds....They said it used to be 24k and now it's only 23k...lucky me.
I will say though that based on the pictures, it is in phenomenal shape and was a true one-owner vehicle. Here I go waffling again...

I may just continue the search and hope to find something that may cost a few grand more but have much fewer miles. This would not be a car that I would buy and trade in a few years later. This is one that I want to own and keep meticulously for years to come.

Love this forum and these cars. Will definitely keep you all posted as to how things progress in my quest.

Best!
Tom
Old 05-07-13, 01:35 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Don't go look at it in person or you'll probably break down and buy it. Or maybe go look at it and be done with it.
Old 05-07-13, 04:28 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beware about taking your wife along to check out your new ride. You might be driving her RX350. I took my wife to look at a 02 blue one in 08 and they had the a 04 white/saddle one. The white one was more money. But I started driving "her" 07 ES. Been that way ever since. I agree they will last for just about forever if you take care of them.. And if you're not putting many miles on you will get caught up. If I remember correctly, the SC had about 36,000 on it when we got her and now has about 58,000. Have enjoyed ever mile so far.
Old 05-08-13, 11:34 AM
tomthebomb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Beware about taking your wife along to check out your new ride. You might be driving her RX350. I took my wife to look at a 02 blue one in 08 and they had the a 04 white/saddle one. The white one was more money. But I started driving "her" 07 ES. Been that way ever since. I agree they will last for just about forever if you take care of them.. And if you're not putting many miles on you will get caught up. If I remember correctly, the SC had about 36,000 on it when we got her and now has about 58,000. Have enjoyed ever mile so far.

That's pretty funny actually :-)
Although I am pretty sure that nothing I do will take her out of her Lex350. She loves the feeling of riding a bit higher than regular cars on the road. Although she did say that she would look fabulous driving the SC...and I would have to agree with her on that
Hers is the navy blue with tan as well thus we would have matching Lexus(i). I must admit that would look great in the garage!

I am still working with the dealer to hopefully knock just one more G off the price. With that, I may be taking them up on it. You only live once, right?

Tango,
Tom
Old 05-08-13, 12:04 PM
kjcole
Lead Lap

That's the spirit, Tom. I'm old enough now to say with conviction that I've never sat around reminiscing about the money I saved.
Old 05-08-13, 12:22 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When I talk to people about the car I drive, I always say...

"I'm old enough that I can afford it, but young enough that I can still enjoy it."
Old 05-08-13, 04:46 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomthebomb
That's pretty funny actually :-)
Although I am pretty sure that nothing I do will take her out of her Lex350. She loves the feeling of riding a bit higher than regular cars on the road. Although she did say that she would look fabulous driving the SC...and I would have to agree with her on that
Hers is the navy blue with tan as well thus we would have matching Lexus(i). I must admit that would look great in the garage!

I am still working with the dealer to hopefully knock just one more G off the price. With that, I may be taking them up on it. You only live once, right?

Tango,
Tom
That's right Tom, you're only dancin' on this earth for a short time. And I bet you will look just great drivin' in that matching RX350. lol Go for it. She'll be glad you did.
Hope you're at the dealers right now.