SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Viper alarm in my SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 02:47 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Viper alarm in my SC

The 2002 SC I just bought has a viper alarm installed. No Lexus key fobs are included. One fob starts the car, the other doesn't. Looking for advice on what I might have and how it might be integrated into my car. Perhaps a visit to Best Buy is best. Also where is best place to but replacement Lexus fobs or maybe they won't work because the alarm sustem is controlling it.
Old 05-04-13, 06:48 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Which viper system do you have?

Just to parse out your question to make sure we're on the same page.....

By FOB, I assume you are referring not to the actual key that is inserted into the ignition, but rather the plastic part that includes the security token and electronics.

You are saying that you have two VIPER FOB's?
One VIPER FOB works and the other doesn'?

Have you checked that the one that doesn't work has a good battery? Does it not work at all (no crank) or just not start the car?

You say that you have NO Lexus FOB's. Not exactly sure what this means. The electronics for the immobilizer system is built into the plastic part of the key handle (where the buttons are) so we don't have FOBs that dangle from a keychain. What exactly are you using to turn the ignition?

Circuit City would be a good source since they are the primary installers for VIPER, assuming that you got a good tech who didn't make things worse.
Old 05-04-13, 09:22 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

You can purchase replacement keys on the web but if you don't have a master key, you may need to go to the dealership (bring a fat wallet).
Old 05-04-13, 05:26 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your help. Yes, the fob being the plastic part that locks/unlocks the car. I have two. one allows car to start, the other doesn't
The one that won't start the car does lock and unlock the doors but the starter just goes round and round when you turn the key.
How can i tell what model
Viper I have? The dark blue fobs look very used. I did swap the battery to not avail. I have no Lexus key fobs, only the Vipers. Possible there is one imbedded in the alarm system?

Greg

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Which viper system do you have?

Just to parse out your question to make sure we're on the same page.....

By FOB, I assume you are referring not to the actual key that is inserted into the ignition, but rather the plastic part that includes the security token and electronics.

You are saying that you have two VIPER FOB's?
One VIPER FOB works and the other doesn'?

Have you checked that the one that doesn't work has a good battery? Does it not work at all (no crank) or just not start the car?

You say that you have NO Lexus FOB's. Not exactly sure what this means. The electronics for the immobilizer system is built into the plastic part of the key handle (where the buttons are) so we don't have FOBs that dangle from a keychain. What exactly are you using to turn the ignition?

Circuit City would be a good source since they are the primary installers for VIPER, assuming that you got a good tech who didn't make things worse.
Old 05-04-13, 06:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

The engine turning over but not starting with the one unit, but starting just fine with the other would seem to indicate pretty specific problem.

Unless I'm guessing wrong, it seems like the "bad" remote is not energizing the immobilizer bypass, whereas the "good" remote is.

Because you have a setup that works with the "good" remote, that means that the install is fine and this is probably not a difficult problem to resolve. I don't know anything about VIPER, but logically, the symptoms seem to point to some programing aspect with the second remote.