SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Creaking from rear pillars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 11:50 PM
pmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Creaking from rear pillars?

I have a Black/Black SC430 and, needless to say, I am completely OBSESSED and INFATUATED with the car!!

I do have one particular issue, however. I have noticed a "creaking" from the rear roof pillars (I think). The noise, which is subtle but clearly noticeable, seems to only occur on one side at a time and primarily happens when driving over a bump -- whether big or small. I am not sure if the noise comes from the rubber located at the junction of the window and the roof rubbing against the window or the roof itself.

While I have read messages on this site (which, by the way, I LOVE reading) which address some noises coming from the back of the car, I am not sure if these messages refer specifically to the problem I am describing.

Has anybody noticed this problem? If so, have you come across any particular solutions?
Old 12-28-02, 08:28 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lots of creaks!

PMD-

Before I bought my '03, I test drove a pre-owned '02 w/ 12,000 miles. I definitely noticed a creaking from the rear roof pillar and that's why I bought a new one. However, now that I've put 5500 miles on mine, I notice creaks from other places.

There is one behind the dashboard that only happens occasionally. There is also one under the passenger seat (I think). I also get that rattling from the driver's door while playing U2 CD's w/ heavy bass. (By the way, there is no greater religious experience than playing "Beautiful Day" cruising at 80 with the top down, but I digress.)

I haven't bothered taking the car to the dealer because honestly I don't know how you can avoid rattles with the rough ride caused by the runflat tires. The good news is the rattles go away on smooth roads.

I've read from lots of other owners on this site that they have had similar problems and have taken their cars in for service to have them corrected. However, I haven't heard the outcomes. I know Ceboyd took his back 4 times for the door rattle.

Maybe we can get an update in general on whether Lexus has been able to fix the creaks!
Old 12-29-02, 06:10 PM
pmd
Driver School Candidate

The idea of getting some information on this issue directly from Lexus seems fine to me. How do we go about accomplishing that?
Old 01-10-03, 06:23 PM
TheCarl
Driver School Candidate

I spent some time with the Lexus mechanic this morning. We tracked down one rattle. I thought it was coming from the right rear roof area. Seem it was the pasenger seat back - where the leather meets the plastic was rubbing. Actually made a kind of clicking noise.
Old 01-10-03, 07:43 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which plastic on the front seat? I have the same sound coming from what sounds like the inside of the passenger backrest. Like others have mentioned - it goes away when someone's sitting there. Will have the dealer fix it, but I'm curious what it is since it seems to be semi-common.
Old 01-10-03, 10:18 PM
pmd
Driver School Candidate

Since this complaint seems to be a very common one, isn't there a way to see if Lexus has officially addressed the issue? Shouldn't the service techs have encountered this complaint enough that some standard fixes are available?
Old 01-11-03, 11:25 AM
TheCarl
Driver School Candidate

Where the sides of the seat leather meet the plastic back of the seat. The leather was rubbing against the plastic creating the noise. I still have one in the dash area and one near where the drivers seat belt comes out of the side of the car. I'll spend some time with them to see if we can figure these out. They then to be more intermitent and thus harder to track down.
Old 01-12-03, 02:17 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks TheCarl.

I also have an intermittent one in my dash near the glovebox which only appears on long drives which I can stop by pushing my hand against the nearby dash casing. Can't wait to take my service tech out for a 200 mile drive to show him.
Old 01-12-03, 11:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default Me, too

Hey Guys,

I also have the intermittent dash creak. Haven't taken the car in yet because my Lexus dealer has been "disinterested" at best. Mine sounds like it's coming from behind the guages and it also occurs during long trips. Let me know what you find out. Thanks,

DSeag2
Old 01-14-03, 02:00 AM
fulmitz
Driver

I have a creak/clunk in the front passengers side especially when driving over areas of uneven road. It comes from the passenger side air vent like it is loose. It even feels looser than the other vents when trying to move it. Could yours be the same? I have a problem with the passenger seat when no one is in it either. but it never makes the noise when the tech goes alon or if I cram myself into the back seat (and believe me It's TORTURE!) I know it's the seat cause when I flip the seat forward, the noise stops like I put something on tension. I told them about the air vent but they are hesitant to fix becuase it is rare and when they take it apart they are afraid they may cause more rattles but things not aligning properly afterwords. As for the buzzing drivers door with the stereo, they packed with foam twice and tightened the speaker and it still does it.

My car is the singing frog from the Looney Toons that only sings in front of the owner, never in front of an audience! The buzz never shows up with the service guys, only without. I think it's worse when driving. I don't know if part is road vibration to enhance it or if its the ALS system increasing the volume with speed. They said wait until 5000 mile service and maybe the problems will be more consistant and reproducible. Right now I'm at 3500 miles. Should be about 6 more weeks.

I was also told that due to the quiet nature of the car with all the sound dampening, it makes all those little creaks and rattles much more noticeable.

Fulmitz
Old 01-14-03, 06:14 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default Rattling Seat/ ASL

Fulmitz, I went back into one of the FAQ threads and found a solution for my rattling passenger seat. The following methods were recommended:

-Move the seat back as far as it will go, against the back seat
-Increase the tension on the lumbar support
-Use oil on the leather in between the top and bottom seat cushions.

I did all three of these, so I can't honestly tell you which one worked, but the rattling has stopped.

Re: the ASL, I know this is another subject, but I rarely use it because I find there is too much of a fluctuation in sound between acceleration/deceleration. The BOSE system in my Audi used to have an adjustment (1-10) for ASL. I always set it at 3. Sure wish the ML system had the same.

Hopefully the seat suggestions will help you with the one demon. Good luck with the others!

DSeag2
Old 01-14-03, 06:48 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Dseag2,

I've tried the seat all the way back and the lumbar all the way in and out. I think the dealer tried lotion or conditioner on the seats. It still does it. It sounds like a rattle like a wiring harness within the seat is loose. Just never makes the noise with the service rep testing the car. I'll see what I can see. The buzzing is due to the wood panel on the drivers side door vibrating. When I put my hand against it it stops. They told me they may have to replace the door covering on the inside. They check it at 5000 mile service. In the meantime I suffer with buzzing radio at times and with creaking seats. It's not bad on smooth roads but I live in New Orleans so there are VERY FEW smooth roads. I think last count was over 58,000 pot holes in the city and surrounding suburbs.

Fulmitz
Old 01-14-03, 10:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

I hear ya, Fulmitz. I've been to NOLA, Metairie, etc. many times. I'll admit the roads are even worse than So. Florida, so I feel your pain! Sorry to hear none of the seat fixes worked. I also have the dreaded door panel buzz, but fortunately it doesn't happen often. Eventually I'll have them check it out. I know it's not optimal, but I sometimes keep the Balance on the stereo 1 notch to the right. That seems to help, and it actually sounds better with some tunes.

Also, can't believe you haven't even had your 5,000 mile service yet! I think you've been on the forum longer than I have so I'm assuming you've owned your car longer. I bought my '03 in 9/02 and I've already racked up 7,000 miles between commuting to work and 2 road trips! Yeah, I love it that much.

Good luck, and keep us all posted,

DSeag2
Old 01-14-03, 11:34 PM
fulmitz
Driver

Actually I got my '02 on August 28, 2002. Paid 59K and no real change to 2003 model anyway. I just go to work and back. I'm planning a road trip to Baltimore for a surgical seminar and to visit my folks. That will be a good 2300 miles round trip. Right now I do about 260 per week. Definitely don't have to worry about the 12,000 miles/year on the lease!

Fulmitz

p.s. I acutally live in Metairie, but most don't know it so I say NOLA.
Old 01-14-03, 11:39 PM
Robbo
Rookie

When I brought my car in for the 5000 mile checkup, I pointed out the bass buzz from the driver's door (especially noticeable on AM news stations). The dealer ordered a new door panel and replaced it teh following week. Problem solved (although I now hear a fainter buzz coming from the passenger door panel).

Quick Reply: Creaking from rear pillars?