SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 07:10 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear-ended

I was rear-ended yesterday morning, fortunately no one was hurt. I was hit by a Chrysler minivan that tried to stop using my rear end. The major damage was to the bottom of my bumper and exhaust pipes. So, I have two major concerns 1. Can the impact be so severe that the exhaust pipes somehow affect the engine? And 2. Should I be looking for signs that the roof has been compromised somehow? I'm looking for members that have been in this scenario and can share what they have experienced.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Rear-ended-image.jpg  
Old 03-23-13, 08:43 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was rear ended also, approx. one year ago but did not have damage as extensive. Had to have the rear bumper cover replaced. I can't offer any ideas on your questions but my suggestion would to have a very qualified body shop go over your damage and make an assessment.
Old 03-23-13, 08:49 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man I'm sorry that happened! I bet the other driver was texting or blabbing on the phone

I got rear ended about a year and a half ago but not as bad - only damaged the bumper cover. You should have a shop and insurance appraiser check everything on a lift. I wouldn't think the engine would get damaged - the exhaust pipes are much weaker at the smashed bend but better check - perhaps looking at the motor mounts and headers but the shop would know what to check.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. Good luck.
Old 03-23-13, 12:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If I were you I would make sure a qualified body shop that has worked on the sc430 look at it. Does the top work? I had a rear ended on a gs400 that ran up to 9000.00 to repair. Then when I traded it in for my sc430
I took a big hit on the trade in value. The dealer claimed he could not re-sell it as a CPO. I should of filed a dominished value with my insurance company. Good luck
Old 03-23-13, 04:25 PM
Juli
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has an SC that was rear ended twice. Both times there was no damage to retractable roof. It is one of my fears that some irresponsible driver will mess up that up for me and my SC. Let us know. Fingers crossed you don't have any more damage than what you can see.
Old 03-24-13, 02:21 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the operations of the roof. This will cost major $$$ to repair.
Old 03-25-13, 07:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
Check the operations of the roof. This will cost major $$$ to repair.
By all means ! Wow that was quite a hit, good luck!
Old 03-25-13, 09:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Nobdy wins on accidents. But nobody's hurt that's good. Take it to a good body shop (expert on Lexus) so you can be assured of the correct repair.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-13, 06:37 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

I will be going to see the insurance adjuster tomorrow morning, will post results. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-26-13, 07:52 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the nightmare I am always afraid of, getting rear-ended in my SC430 and not being sure if the roof mechanism has been damaged. It may work okay now and in the near future, but what if the impact affected some part of the roof mechanism which will only manifest itself 3 - 6 months down the line, long after you've settled your claim? I would settle for no less than having a Lexus dealer perform a part-by-part analysis and testing of the roof mechanism, if there is such a procedure. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-13, 10:46 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Default damned if you damed if you don't

So the insurance company adjuster has given me a ck for $3100 just from the visual inspection. Now comes the fun part... I can take the car to a shop of my choice or one of their approved shops.
1. If I go the route of my choice the insurance company will not guarantee the workmanship, if I use their approved shops they will guarantee the work for the life of the car. So, I spoke to a Lexus dealer in norther va that has a body shop and after looking at the car and assessing the damage this is what they said; they agree with the original estimate but once they take the bumper off it could require a little more work. As far as the top, they could see no damage to it or any components that could malfunction. They did say that the top has many sensors that can go bad and an impact could trigger that to happen sometime later then sooner but there is no way to really pinpoint the cause, it is a 2002 with all original parts.

2. I spoke to a shop that is approved by the insurance company and is a one of a few shops that the Ferrari dealer recommends. They said that they will guarantee the work for the life of the car and if anything goes wrong with the top in the first year they will work it out with the ins co.

What to do??????
Old 03-26-13, 10:55 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The shop that will gurantee it for life. [ How long have they been in business ] If the insurance company recomends them and will stand behind them as well Then I would go with your insurance co reccomendation.

My local lexus dealer farms there body work out and I would not use my local dealer.
Old 03-27-13, 10:24 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Also keep in mind that if the shop finds more after digging into the ordeal, they will likely work with the insurance company to adjust the payout.
Old 04-07-13, 06:25 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Default Update

First- I used the insurance approved shop... I am very happy with the results, the car looks good. The top had no issues and just to be on the safe side I took it in to the Lexus dealer for a once over. I explained my situation and they said they would charge me the one normal fee to diagnose any issues. The results came back with no problems they could see. So to conclude, I'm back on the road good as new with no rattles. Thank you for all of your comments.
Old 04-07-13, 09:02 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You never mentioned how much bail was after you beat the crap out of the offending driver!

But seriously. glad you got it fixed. I remember years ago a woman clipped me in my BMW that was literally lesst than 24 hours old. I had just had a big breakfast and I threw up on her shoes.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended