SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Rotor and Pads replacement, OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 10:29 AM
kimchi604
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rotor and Pads replacement, OEM or Aftermarket?

So my Front rotors are warped and pads gone, will need a replacement.

Shop has quoted me about $500 CAD for OEM parts and installation for just the front two, is this a good deal?

Are there better choices out there that people have tried?

I personally think the brakes on the SC430 are pretty weak compared to alot of cars
Old 03-16-13, 10:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default brakes

Originally Posted by kimchi604
So my Front rotors are warped and pads gone, will need a replacement.

Shop has quoted me about $500 CAD for OEM parts and installation for just the front two, is this a good deal?

Are there better choices out there that people have tried?

I personally think the brakes on the SC430 are pretty weak compared to alot of cars
That sounds high. ususal charge is 75.00 per axle plus parts . You can go aftermarket and get better rorors and pads.,
Old 03-16-13, 04:14 PM
Matthias
Driver

I have changed to StopTech rotors & pads front and rear and am much happier with the overall braking.
Old 03-18-13, 03:41 PM
kimchi604
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matthias
I have changed to StopTech rotors & pads front and rear and am much happier with the overall braking.
thanx for the advice

where did you get them? online?
Old 03-18-13, 04:15 PM
thombiz
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had really good luck purchasing brake components here: http://www.bestbrakes.com/c/home If you're not sure what you need or should have, they can help guide you in your purchase. I've bought from them for about 8 years and have always received premium quality components and at the best price I could find. I'm in no way related to BestBrakes, just a happy customer.
Old 03-18-13, 07:00 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 2002 sc430 with 126000 miles, at about 80,000 miles I replaces my brake pads and rotors on all four corners because I had a warped rotor. What I bought was a kit, from eBay, with four cross drilled rotors and pads for front and back for around $175. The only reason I went with the cross drilled was because I have aftermarket wheels with wide openings that show the rotor and of course we all want to look good so... Would I buy them again? Yes, but I would not buy the pads. After about 6,000 miles the car felt like the pads were not grabbing so I took the wheel off inspected the brake pad and found that I had more then half the life, so I just took them out cleaned them up and put them back. They were fine for about two weeks then once again it was happening. So I decided to take a chance on advanced auto and purchase their platinum series pads, replacing all four sides. So far so good, quite, no fade and very low dust also. Good price if you find their 20% discount code. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-19-13, 06:29 AM
Matthias
Driver

Yes, I got them online. I had purchased a 4 corner kit, drilled/slotted from propartsusa.com. Kit included new brake-lines, too. I had it installed in my 2002 at Toyota.
Old 05-19-17, 10:11 AM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

planning to upgrade rotors and pads the car.

anyone running StopTech drilled/slotted (front/rear) and EBC redstuff pads (front/rear) ?

that's the setup i'm planning to upgrade to.

thanks....sam
Old 05-19-17, 12:03 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by iamsam9
planning to upgrade rotors and pads the car.

anyone running StopTech drilled/slotted (front/rear) and EBC redstuff pads (front/rear) ?

that's the setup i'm planning to upgrade to.

thanks....sam
I have the Stoptech Drilled and Slotted Rotors for sale in the classifieds. I had them on my 2002 for about a season and half, but then upgraded to the Supra Twin Turbo Brake Kit with OEM Toyota pads front and rear. The rotors have a lot of life left on them and look amazing and shiny new. Easy bolt on upgrade. I'd recommend new pads so they will seat properly. LMK if interested.
Old 05-19-17, 12:30 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same boat as you, front disc and pads have worn out and need replacing, I even recently started two separate threads here to find out what is my best option. Turns out, after market Power Stop or StopTech have the best price/quality ration and increase the performance quiet a bit in comparison to stock breaks. Personally I ordered Power Stop Z23 ceramic pads and PowerFriction slotted rotors (PowerFriction only because I can't get the other ones at a reasonable price where I live).

However ideally I would have liked to change my breaks for the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo ones. They are a straight bolt on kit and apparently are absolutely incredible at breaking (but again cant get the callipers second hand where I live), If you can then look into it, would be a great upgrade.
Old 05-19-17, 01:48 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by alex2016g
I am in the same boat as you, front disc and pads have worn out and need replacing, I even recently started two separate threads here to find out what is my best option. Turns out, after market Power Stop or StopTech have the best price/quality ration and increase the performance quiet a bit in comparison to stock breaks. Personally I ordered Power Stop Z23 ceramic pads and PowerFriction slotted rotors (PowerFriction only because I can't get the other ones at a reasonable price where I live).

However ideally I would have liked to change my breaks for the Toyota Supra Twin Turbo ones. They are a straight bolt on kit and apparently are absolutely incredible at breaking (but again cant get the callipers second hand where I live), If you can then look into it, would be a great upgrade.
did you check Rockauto.com for rebuilt Supra rebuilt calipers?
Old 05-22-17, 10:51 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Here is a picture of the quad cylinder, supra caliper, compared to the standard dual cylinder

Old 05-22-17, 12:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by alex2016g

like these?
Old 06-26-17, 08:33 AM
ned1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re: stop tech rotors. Which model / part number
I'm looking at the stop tech 127 rotors.
Old 06-26-17, 11:16 AM
SPT
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 SC 430 is a stock daily driver. Since it is not used as a performance car I opted for aftermarket stock (ish) ceramic front pads and rotors. I used Meyle brand and am very satisfied. A good valve for the price paid.

Rotors PN 404 30 014 OE# 43512 50100. Front pads PN D619 SC OE# 0446522312. These are precision parts made to a commercially acceptable standard.

Quick Reply: Front Rotor and Pads replacement, OEM or Aftermarket?