Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 01:24 PM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance - air intake and exhaust system

Hi guys,

Searched the forum for some recommendations but I am obviously incompetent
I would like to add some extra horsepowers, little extra kick and a smooth, rude sound to my SC430.
Not to much, not like open pipes/racing....just want to notice the fact that I have a V8 running...

Been looking for recommendations regarding air intakes, CAI kits etc and performance exhaust systems. Are there any really good threads about this....or could someone help me out here...

Cold air intakes...gain performance or not? GO/NO GO?
If GO - which brand/model?

Performance exhaust system ...gain performance or not? GO/NO GO?
If GO - which brand/model?

Other small changes/add ons that I could do to get my car to get that extra kick out of my SC430?

I am not looking for large turbo/super charger projects....donīt have the time nor money at this moment in life (kids, house etc etc....you know how it is)

Help please!
Old 03-11-13, 08:06 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many threads and posts on these topics. Try using the advanced search and use few words. A quick summary off the top of my head would be:

Intake - most are hot air and members go for it because of the great sound when flooring it. No HP gains.

BFI (big freaking intake - search sc400 forums on bfi) - about a 3HP increase but less sound than for ex. The Injen.

Performance exhaust maybe 5-10HP and sound depends on Manufacturer. Blitz and Magnaflow more sound; Megan lower sound but more than oem.

Other low cost exhaust options - remove resonators, remove 3rd cat, remove muffler ... Some combination of above.

PPE Headers high cost but 20+ WHP gain ...

For the cost to try you might want to do the resonator delete and have someone at a muffler shop replace the tubes before the mufler with mandrel bent tubes that are not smashed like the oem.

Good luck

Ps . Please post more details and pictures about your sc :-)
Old 03-11-13, 09:42 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I read somewhere that using a SUPRA differential helps gain torque. Do some research.
Old 03-12-13, 07:26 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds to me that you are looking mainly for the "v8 sound" and if you get the horse power in the process then you would be very happy. So about 2 years ago I was in your shoes and this is what I learned: 1. A 5 to 10 HP gain is not really felt when you are flooring your car is a street dragg race against a Honda civic... Nor will it help you if you are racing a 400-500 HP trans am. 2. If you want the sound of a v8 throughout the whole range then a cat back system is what you are looking for. Now what system should you buy, that is up to what you like and the look you are trying to get (chrome, polished tips). 3. The intake will only give you that v8 sound when you floor the gas, normal driving will be very quiet. Search the forum for cat back systems and intakes, you will find sound clips that wil help you. Good luck.
Old 03-12-13, 07:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The Injen intake gave me the sound I wanted. Been happy with it. For little money, it is well worth it.
Old 03-12-13, 11:43 AM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
It sounds to me that you are looking mainly for the "v8 sound" and if you get the horse power in the process then you would be very happy. So about 2 years ago I was in your shoes and this is what I learned: 1. A 5 to 10 HP gain is not really felt when you are flooring your car is a street dragg race against a Honda civic... Nor will it help you if you are racing a 400-500 HP trans am. 2. If you want the sound of a v8 throughout the whole range then a cat back system is what you are looking for. Now what system should you buy, that is up to what you like and the look you are trying to get (chrome, polished tips). 3. The intake will only give you that v8 sound when you floor the gas, normal driving will be very quiet. Search the forum for cat back systems and intakes, you will find sound clips that wil help you. Good luck.
So...what you actually are saying is that itīs not worth buying a full performance exhaust system since the extra hp will not be recognized anyway, right?!

Will I still be able to drive the car in regard to sound level with a cat back system?
I love the fact that my car is so silent when driving normal but I would like to notice the V8 when stepping on the gas pedal.

What about loosing effect with e.g. intake?
Old 03-12-13, 11:43 AM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The Injen intake gave me the sound I wanted. Been happy with it. For little money, it is well worth it.
Which one?
Did you feel any difference in performance? better/worse...anything?
Old 03-12-13, 02:49 PM
J954sho
Pole Position

We installed the PPE headers, Megan downpipe, Magnaflow cat back....I think an Injen intake is next if my customer does not boost it.
Old 03-12-13, 03:19 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Mandel73
Which one?
Did you feel any difference in performance? better/worse...anything?
It did not matter, does not matter whether I can feel an increase in HP. The sound is intoxicating. Nuff said.
Old 03-12-13, 07:30 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you love the quiet when cruising the I'd definitely start with a cold air intake such as the Injen. Great sound when you want it. No drone like you get with some exhaust mods when you don't. I'd bet you'll stop with the intake mod.
Old 03-12-13, 11:40 PM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J954sho
We installed the PPE headers, Megan downpipe, Magnaflow cat back....I think an Injen intake is next if my customer does not boost it.
Is it possible to install PPE headers and downpipe with out taking apart the whole engine (more or less) ?
Old 03-12-13, 11:42 PM
Mandel73
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like an intake is the first alternative...been scared that I will loose hp...but listening to you it feels like I wonīt feel any difference.
Old 03-13-13, 01:47 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you need is a airfilter. The injen will be perfect for you. Nothing when cruising and the V8 sound comes when you floor it.

That will be the cheapest and most easy mod to install. Im sure it will satisfy your needs.

Headers is a major operation. I'm in the middle of it right now. Not recommended for n00bs (no offfense). The exhaust also take some time and because its under the car it might not be so easy for you to install. You need access to a lift etc.

So start with the air intake and im sure you will be glad. Good luck.
Old 03-13-13, 06:00 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mandel73- you can't go wrong with the intake to start, it will run you about $250. Worst case you can remove it and sell it. If you just want a different look for the exhaust, buy new tips, and save the money for other modifications.
Old 03-13-13, 09:48 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
Mandel73- you can't go wrong with the intake to start, it will run you about $250. Worst case you can remove it and sell it. If you just want a different look for the exhaust, buy new tips, and save the money for other modifications.
And the other added bonus is how your engine bay will look cleaner (not much clutter) and better. Take a look at some of the posts here with pics.

Last edited by mandyfig; 04-14-13 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance - air intake and exhaust system