SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Putco 9005 halogen 6000k bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 10:36 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putco 9005 halogen 6000k bulbs

I tried to change the DRLs on my 2006 SC430 today to LED with the decoders. However, the decoders popped/smoked when I turned the high beam on for a few seconds. Perhaps, I just got a defective decoder set. Or, perhaps, the LEDs are not meant to be used for high beam, even for a brief period. Therefore, as an alternative to OEM yellow DRL, I am now looking at white output halogen lamps. I came across these Putco halogen bulbs. Has anyone here used these or recommend another "white" output halogen bulbs. I particularly, don't care for the bright white LED during the daytime, however definitely want to get away from the yellow OEM look.

Any other LED 9005 bulbs with decoders besides the one from jdmtoy. Just want to consider everything before I delve into it again. It was a disappointing end to a couple of hours of work. Don't want to repeat it!

Thanks.
Old 03-01-13, 05:58 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem when i first changed mine too, but it's not caused from putting the headlights on bright, it's because you plugged in the decoder wrong, you have to be really careful and make sure you plug it in the right way. Don't take this the wrong way but you have to read the instructions which clearly warn you about reversing the decoder. I thought I had plugged it in the right way but I didn't and it started smelling really hot and and burned out the decoder. Lesson learned lol!!
Old 03-01-13, 06:43 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scrdstr
I had that problem when i first changed mine too, but it's not caused from putting the headlights on bright, it's because you plugged in the decoder wrong, you have to be really careful and make sure you plug it in the right way. Don't take this the wrong way but you have to read the instructions which clearly warn you about reversing the decoder. I thought I had plugged it in the right way but I didn't and it started smelling really hot and and burned out the decoder. Lesson learned lol!!
Thanks. Would the LEDs continue to light up if the decoder was plugged in the wrong way? Did you see similar behavior with the LEDs? I had thought the same although I read the instructions, thus want to make sure.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 03-01-13, 08:58 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Before HID kits were invented I tried every blue light bulb, in my 1992 sc400, that I found on the Internet. From what I recall every bulb was dimmer then the regular ones but yes it looked a little better then the yellow ones. I also remember that they would burn out very quickly.
About 2 years ago the fog light bulb in my sequoia burnt out so I decide to replace it with the sylvania silverstar zxe ($59), it can be found in your local auto parts store, and so far it has lasted and it has that white / blue hue that I like and it sounds you are looking for. Good luck.
Old 03-04-13, 09:24 AM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Thanks. Would the LEDs continue to light up if the decoder was plugged in the wrong way? Did you see similar behavior with the LEDs? I had thought the same although I read the instructions, thus want to make sure.

I don't think they will, I don't have vast experience with them tho, I just know when i plugged mine in backwards it got really hot and could smell it never checked to see if the light was on, buggered up the decoder, but the bulb was ok. got a new one from JDM TOY and both sides worked fine.
Old 03-04-13, 08:43 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k

...hey options, I had the same issue with them also. One side worked perfect, but the other side would not come on. I tried them on opposite sides,but still the same result.