SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 theft recovery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 12:06 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 SC430 theft recovery.

Having just been given access to a family members SC430 that was stolen, I find myself here looking for information on how to proceed. Picking the car up shortly and will have more info and pictures for you guys. I am new to this forum, but not forums overall so looking forward to your help and info.
Not sure if I should just do a complete part out, attempt the collision repairs (some amount of left front fender damage), or sell the car as is to someone that wants modify it. The car only had 58000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. My understanding is the thief stole the car somehow right out of the driveway and was able to do that without having ANY of the original keys.

Pictures soon.

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-01-13, 12:20 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

To take a car like that with no keys you would first need a way to get in. Once in you would need to be able to unlock the steering you would need a key or else destroy the ignition switch as well as a way to defeat the imbobilizer and the security alarm assuming it was on. It would be easier to tow it. If a thief wants your car and is creative I guess anything is possible. Depends on how much damage was inflicted. Did insurance co total it.?
Lots of questions need to be answered
Old 02-01-13, 01:14 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MLHawk, welcome to the forum. Please provide more details and pictures.

I think quite a few of us here would be interested in understanding how the car was stolen, was all the anti theft equipment bypassed (and thus messed up) or was it simply towed.

Please do share the details. In general, however, the car probably has a bad title now (branded title), so you will not get much if trying to sell it... if you want to drive it yourself then it should work out well for you if you get everything fixed. About the only potential buyers you would get with a branded title are those who are looking to gut it and highly modify it to race it, or make it into a showcar.

Also, you may want to be suspicious of people who want to buy it and seem not to care about the branded title... they are likely going to try "shenanigans" by reregistering the car in several different states, hoping the "branded title" would fall off "by accident" (well known scam in the used car market) and the car would appear to have a good title.

In any case, we are looking forward hearing about the details and the pics. Personally, if I were you and I wanted a nice car I'd drive it myself and not care about the bad title.

Best of luck!
Old 02-01-13, 05:27 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Ok have car in hand now. The thief had a key that he used to start the car. It's identical to the "real" keys we have. The remote part of his key does not open the doors or pop the trunk.
Family member said car was parked in driveway when stolen. The doors were locked, but not with the remote. Battery in remote had just gone dead and had not yet been replaced. Reason car was locked by "hand". So not sure how thief got a key that fit ignition? Car WAS driven away from location and not towed. Surveillance video confirms this. Ignition is not damaged in ANY way. Car starts right up and drives with no issues. Front end damage consists of front bumper cover pulled away/ripped. Car has TONS of finger print dust on it and inside. A couple panels inside were removed as well by police dept. Radio works, navigation works, AC heat all work.

Car does not have a bad title. Although I'm sure Carfax will have info if they're on the ball. Insurance company gave family member a check to cover the repairs their adjuster had written up. Family member was told they can fix the car if they want or not. I see no reason it would be branded a salvage since the insurance company did not total it. Family member did not want to wait the 30 plus days for body shop to do the repairs so they just went out and bought a new car. The car has clean and clear title that I have in hand.
We're going to take a couple of days to assess what interior parts are still in the car and which will be needed. Also get the finger print dust cleaned up/out...

More info soon.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 SC430 theft recovery.-img_0414.jpg   2002 SC430 theft recovery.-img_0416.jpg  
Old 02-01-13, 05:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I think the future of this SC is looking good.
Old 02-01-13, 05:55 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I think the future of this SC is looking good.
Thanks. I think so as well. Now that we have had time to look at it, I'm more and more encouraged.
Old 02-01-13, 06:17 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like the police did quite a bit of damage also.
Old 02-01-13, 06:27 PM
mandyfig

Do I see a combo of pie plate and the 5 spoke?
Old 02-01-13, 06:33 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the rear pie plate is just missing!
Old 02-01-13, 07:24 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sebtown
looks like the rear pie plate is just missing!
It is. Along with two lugs. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Hopefully it's not difficult to get just one in chrome?
The thief tore the right door panel at the top near the speaker and tweeter. Looks like they had the speaker half way off and gave up.
Old 02-02-13, 05:03 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Made some headway on the car today.

Found that Zaino #9 WILL take out the fingerprint dust from ECRU interior. Had tried a small test area and found a couple other products just pushed the dust deeper into the leather and smeared. The #9 lifted it and fully removed it in about two applications.

Was able to confirm the roof retracts with no issues, although the thief removed the headliner for some reason. At least he left the two side trim pieces and rear headliner valance so that's a plus!
Navigation works, CD/stereo works, seat heaters and electrical all work.
Found that the thief had a craving for ice cream but failed to finish the half gallon and decided to dump the remainder in the back seat, passenger side foot well. It then proceeded to melt under the seat and into the carpet. Nice, he liked chocolate, but not enough to finish eating it all and saving me a mess! Will pull seat to gain access and try a carpet cleaner (wet suction) on it before buying replacement carpet.

Also found an excellent forum member here, that is going above and beyond, and hooking me up with the upper right door panel pad. Seems the thief tried to rip the Levinson speaker out, only to tear that upper panel and bending a speaker bracket. Heck, he didn't even get the speaker!

Found upper tweets and a trunk center section with all the jacking hardware on eBay.

Big items needed are, front bumper cover (with pop up headlight sprays), carpet in ECRU (or possibly black), a headliner ECRU or black if that's all that can be found, a rear seat bench cushion in ECRU, and possibly a front left headlight as the one in the car has a crack in the lower section of the lens. Headlights and everything still work so I may just use the cracked light. I know it may be an issue with moisture building up inside, so may have to replace. Also need a chrome pie pan and 9 bolts to attach it for the left rear wheel.

If you guys have a lead on any of the parts I need please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks for following.
Old 02-03-13, 05:54 AM
mandyfig

Post pics of the before and after, that's always fun.
Old 02-03-13, 07:33 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I'm glad you got your car back.
Lexus cars, and other newer designs, are among the most difficult cars to break into and steal, so this is rare.
I would love to know how he got a key, which would be one step, but matching the key chip to the car's chip is something else. This sounds very sophisticated to me, but stealing a car from a driveway and trying to remove a speaker does not sound like professionals to me. This whole thing is very strange.
Also, locking the car with the key in the lock and locking the car with the remote button should make no difference.
Now that you have the car back, I'd have the insurance company or the dealer look to see if the various security systems are operative.
And should you meet the thief (at the next Mensa meeting?) try to find out what he was going to do with the speaker.
Old 02-03-13, 12:05 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
I'm glad you got your car back.
Lexus cars, and other newer designs, are among the most difficult cars to break into and steal, so this is rare.
I would love to know how he got a key, which would be one step, but matching the key chip to the car's chip is something else. This sounds very sophisticated to me, but stealing a car from a driveway and trying to remove a speaker does not sound like professionals to me. This whole thing is very strange.
Also, locking the car with the key in the lock and locking the car with the remote button should make no difference.
Now that you have the car back, I'd have the insurance company or the dealer look to see if the various security systems are operative.
And should you meet the thief (at the next Mensa meeting?) try to find out what he was going to do with the speaker.
One can only guess at their intentions. The attempt at the speaker may have been a start towards the whole system and found it was more work than they had time for? Who knows. It does appear that the right rear sub wires were cut and they tried to hook up their own sub? This is only a guess as we found parts of a sub cabinet laying on the floor. They were certainly not Lexus pieces. Hence the guess.
As for the theft. I have no idea how difficult it would be for a thief to get a key with appropriate chip that started the car. We HAVE ALL the keys that have been with the car from day one PLUS the key the thief used. Thiefs key will not open the door with buttons, our key battery is dead and I haven't gotten a replacement yet to check and see if the programming is changed. I do know the car was out for two nights.
Could thief had gotten VIN number one night and then returned the next to steal it? Could a nefarious locksmith supply a chipped key for this car with only a VIN?
Old 02-03-13, 12:44 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MLHawk
Could a nefarious locksmith supply a chipped key for this car with only a VIN?
No. only the mechanical portion of the key can be made from the vin. The car would still need to be programmed to the chip.

The immobilizer circuit in the car requires that it be programed to the unique chip in a key OR it is possible to clone an existing key chip. If its not programmed the starter will turn the engine over but the engine will not fire up.

Has anyone recently been to a restaurant with valet parking or has anyone else had a key that they could clone?

JR

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 theft recovery.