SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Luxlink???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 11:44 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Luxlink???

I bought the Luxlink about a year ago from a fellow member. Never installed. So with the Three day weekend. I felt it might be a good time to do the install. Upon removing the Luxlink from the box and looking at the instructions. I found out that one would needs to leave a Chip in the vehicle. This is the last thing I want to due. I have a 2003 IS300 which was the first time I tried doing an alarm install. I said to myself never again. After taking three days. I installed a Clifford Alarm made by DEI. I used the 555x instead of leaving a Chip in the Car.

The 555x info.
Most new and late model vehicles have factory anti-theft systems to prevent a vehicle being started without the specific owner's key in the ignition. These factory anti-theft systems provide a valuable service to the vehicle owner helping to prevent a thief from hot-wiring and starting your vehicle. Unfortunately these systems also prevent a remote starter from starting your vehicle, unless you left the key in the ignition, which could easily result in vehicle theft.

Directed Electronics, Inc (DEI), the world leader in remote start technology and factory interface systems, has developed a complete line of 555–series modules that interface with the factory anti-theft systems only during the remote start operation. Therefore the DEI 555-series Bypass Modules do not compromise your factory anti-theft system, preserving its integrity, and leaving it fully functional at all other times. DEI Bypass Modules give you the best of both worlds, maintaining the protection of your factory anti-theft system, while enabling you to enjoy the convenience and comfort of a DEI Valet Remote start system.

Has anyone used the with the Luxlink ???
I will try and give Steve a call on Tuesday
Old 02-16-13, 12:08 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As easy as it is to get a key already cut for your cars VIN, the last thing you would want to do is also supply the chip to help them start it.
My opinion anyways.

DIrected makes a some excellent products. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-16-13, 04:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you're a bit off base.

The LuxLink only bypasses the immobilizer circuit when the remote start is activated - thus the vehicle still cannot be hot-wired. The bypass module uses the valet key to send the signal to the detector at the ignition key switch. Except for the few seconds that the LuxLink is actually being operated, the valet key is inert.

Bottom line, the LuxLink already does EXACTLY what the DEI 555-series Bypass Modules you describe does.
Old 02-16-13, 07:49 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree with the OP and MLHawk. Leaving a transponder chip ( or valet key ) inside the vehicle is asking for trouble ( and could cause the insurance company to not pay if the vehicle is stolen ).

A bypass module is a better way to facilitate a remote start. There are a few brands and models available for the SC430 ( I used an iDatalink ADS TBSL-KO ). I believe with the LuxLink, you would connect the Blue with White stripe wire from J1/8 to the bypass modules Ground When Running ( Status Input ) wire. A call to Steve is a good idea. For more info on the transponder bypass connector location and pin-out, here is a link to a Pictorial on a SC430 remote starter install : http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~131859~PN~1
Old 02-17-13, 05:16 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the luxlink and all I did was cut the wallet plastic shell in half [ the part with the chip ] The chip portion then gets wrapped around the ribbon cable in the imobilizer. This is hidden under the dash as per luxlink instructions. If I then actually try and start the car with the wallet key only the car wont start . The only time luxlink imobilizer circuit is active is when you are using the luxlink. With the wallet chip in the luxlink imoblizer hidden box you still need a key to unlock the ignition steering wheel if you did break into the car. The chip that is in the luxlink still will not work with the key because the luxlink is not active

Last edited by mrblister; 02-17-13 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-18-13, 05:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by mrblister
The only time luxlink imobilizer circuit is active is when you are using the luxlink. The chip that is in the luxlink still will not work with the key because the luxlink is not active
I think Mr. Blitster is correct.

Placing the chip in the car does NOT mean that you have disabled the immobilizer or your security system. Rather, the chip is hidden in a box away from the ignition. When activated by the LuxLink, the box "transmits" the necessary chip signal to the keyhole during the remote start process.

If a thief had a good set of tools and disassembled the entire car until he happened to find where the chip was hidden, then he could override the immobilizer. Of course, he'd still need a key to operate the steering wheel lockout and ignition system.

As to insurance, I used to work with auto insurance policies and I have never heard of one that excludes coverage even if you leave the keys in the ignition. But this is not leaving the key in the ignition or even disabling the immobilizer in any way.

Bottom line: when the LuxLink remote start is operated, for that brief second, the chip code is transmitted from its hidden location through a wire antenna to the ignition where it the immobilizer circuit is. At all other times, the chip is too far away to effect the immobilizer in any way.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 02-18-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-13, 08:40 AM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit more encouraging as to how the Luxlink incorporates the chip. My only concern would be hiding it away in a very discrete location different from any suggestions that be offered from Luxlink. Not sure of any limitations Luxlink has in regards to this though.
Old 02-18-13, 11:52 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

An enterprising thief will always be able to find a way to steal the car. In this case there will be an additional antenna ring wrapped around the car's ignition switch with wires going back to the "hidden" box. Here is a link to the "key in the box" bypass module used by LuxLink : http://www.xpresskit.com/DocumentDow...irmwareid=1485
Old 02-18-13, 04:55 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
An enterprising thief will always be able to find a way to steal the car]
Definitely agree with that one. Even with no mods at all, a thief could replace the ECU with one that he had the immobilizer chip for. And you are right that if the thief somehow knew that you had a remote starter and didn't mind sitting around diagnosing the situation, then he could trace the wire back to the chip. And if a thief traced to the iDataLink he'd have the same ability.

The LuxLink immoblizer is just a generic bypass unit. Note that it is not KEY in the box; it is CHIP in the box. That's no different than the iDataLink unit. The iDataLink simply memorizes the chip code during programming and sends it when triggered. Same as the LuxLink sends a signal to the bypass to transmits the chip code.

No keys left in the vehicle are involved with proper installation of the LuxLink. Just like the iDataLink, the only ability is to send the chip code when triggered.
Old 02-18-13, 04:59 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you all are leaving the option of just simply flatbedding the car (lots of thieves take this route)

just get the remote start, the average joe wont even know you have luxlink to begin with (therefore not knowing theres a chip in there anyways)
Old 02-18-13, 05:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlink luxlnik luxlink the best mod ever
Old 03-27-13, 07:53 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IdataLink ADS-TB.
I needed to work on my Key Fob Skills.

The idataLink installation was completed with information from FlopTop04 & Steve from LuxLink