SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 theft recovery.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 09:33 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
No. only the mechanical portion of the key can be made from the vin. The car would still need to be programmed to the chip.

The immobilizer circuit in the car requires that it be programed to the unique chip in a key OR it is possible to clone an existing key chip. If its not programmed the starter will turn the engine over but the engine will not fire up.

Has anyone recently been to a restaurant with valet parking or has anyone else had a key that they could clone?

JR
The car will start with all four of the keys we have. 3 of those keys we have always owned and one key the thief used. Of the 3 we own one is valet, one is the flat card, and one has the buttons on it. The thiefs key is a button remote as well. NONE of the keys will lock or unlock the car by turning the key in the door. Family member said the battery went out in the remote and at about the same time it would not lock car when turned in the door. They thought it was due to the dead remote battery. Will a dead remote battery stop the car from locking or opening when turned in the key hole? I attempted to get batteries today, but the store was cleaned out.
It is very possible that the car was valet parked at some point, as that would not be unheard of with them. If thief gained access to key and was able to clone his key would that have been the reason that all of the keys stopped working in the door cylinder? Door cylinder is not punched or tampered with at all. Just not sure why while family member still had possession of the car prior to theft that their key stopped working in the door. That forced them to leave it unlocked the night of the theft. It is something I'll have to have to get figured out right away. As it sits now, if you lock the car by hand with the windows up, then you're out for sure.
Hope this isn't too confusing, but without me knowing a lot about the SC430 or what the thief did, it makes for an interesting puzzle...
Old 02-04-13, 03:30 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I think the future of this SC is looking good.
I agree, looks like a winner! Love the color combination.
Old 02-04-13, 04:39 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A - I don't see any connection with the door cylinder not working and the remote battery failing.

Try the remote master key that starts the car and see if it works in the center console lock and glove box lock. If it works in both of those cylinders, then most likely it’s just that the door cylinder has failed.

Any Lexus dealer parts department could supply a door cylinder and a good locksmith will be able to re-key it to match your existing keys. The door cylinder part number is 6905224060 CYLINDER & KEY SET, DOOR LOCK, (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE) Sewell gets $96.72 with the Club Lexus discount. (Retail price is $158.54) For the Club Lexus discount you need to register with your Club Lexus user name.
Parts listing is here
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html

B- The car originally came with
2 Remote Master keys (with buttons)
1- Valet Key
1- Flay card key

Could the 2nd Remote key that the thief had be one of the originals? Is your family member the original owner of the car? If not perhaps the 2nd remote key the thief used is one of the originals?
Attached Thumbnails 2002 SC430 theft recovery.-keys.jpg  
Old 02-07-13, 07:48 AM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

A - I don't see any connection with the door cylinder not working and the remote battery failing.

Try the remote master key that starts the car and see if it works in the center console lock and glove box lock. If it works in both of those cylinders, then most likely it’s just that the door cylinder has failed.

Any Lexus dealer parts department could supply a door cylinder and a good locksmith will be able to re-key it to match your existing keys. The door cylinder part number is 6905224060 CYLINDER & KEY SET, DOOR LOCK, (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE) Sewell gets $96.72 with the Club Lexus discount. (Retail price is $158.54) For the Club Lexus discount you need to register with your Club Lexus user name.
Parts listing is here
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2002.html

B- The car originally came with
2 Remote Master keys (with buttons)
1- Valet Key
1- Flay card key

Could the 2nd Remote key that the thief had be one of the originals? Is your family member the original owner of the car? If not perhaps the 2nd remote key the thief used is one of the originals?
Just got back in town and checked. Both masters fit the glove box lock and opens/closes (the valet does not work in the glove box). I put one of the masters into the center console lock and it turned to lock. It WILL NOT now unlock. I tried all keys including the flat card key and nothing will open the center console. Tried turning the key and inserting opposite and still nothing. Guess thats one more thing I now need to figure out how to get opened and fixed....

There is no way the second key (thiefs key) is one of the originals. As I said, the family member only had one push button key since day one when purchased in early 2002 new off the Lexus lot (in an entirely different city than where the car was stolen).
Old 02-10-13, 02:16 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Just an update. I put new batteries in both remotes. The original and the the thiefs. Using push buttons both remotes will open/close door locks, set alarm, etc...

I have only two issues, one is inserting the key in the drivers side door and turning results in nothing. No lock or unlock, no top up or down, nothing.

Second is, the key locked the center console, but will not unlock. I'm not too worried about this. I was able to pop the console open. A replacement lock is north of $200 so that will not happen. Suppose I'll just take the locking latch off and be done with it.
Again, not too concerned about this, more about the door lock and getting it working with the key inserted. Suppose pulling the drivers side door panel off and taking a look inside. Maybe a wire is off/broken? Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-11-13, 06:23 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

As a last resort, you could always take it to a dealer/shop/mechanic/locksmith and get it fixed.
Old 02-12-13, 01:44 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by MLHawk
Just an update. I put new batteries in both remotes. The original and the the thiefs. Using push buttons both remotes will open/close door locks, set alarm, etc...

I have only two issues, one is inserting the key in the drivers side door and turning results in nothing. No lock or unlock, no top up or down, nothing.

Second is, the key locked the center console, but will not unlock. I'm not too worried about this. I was able to pop the console open. A replacement lock is north of $200 so that will not happen. Suppose I'll just take the locking latch off and be done with it.
Again, not too concerned about this, more about the door lock and getting it working with the key inserted. Suppose pulling the drivers side door panel off and taking a look inside. Maybe a wire is off/broken? Anyone have any other ideas?
I just checked my 2008 SC 430. The unlock/lock via key in the door is mechanical via linkage only.

If the key can turn when inserted into the cylinder then you most likely have a linkage in the door come loose. If the key wont turn then it is probably a lock cylinder issue. Either way a good locksmith should be able to rectify the problem.

JR
Old 02-12-13, 02:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default key lock

FLYCT You are right there is a mechanical linkage to unlock the door with the key but the door lock also is connected electrically to the key lock. The reason is you are able to lower or raise the windows with the door key by turning in one direction then holding it. In fact if you have a luxlink installed you can mimic the fob presses with the key and you can do everything the luxlink does with the key fob you can duplicate with using the manual key.
Old 02-12-13, 02:47 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

I just checked my 2008 SC 430. The unlock/lock via key in the door is mechanical via linkage only.

If the key can turn when inserted into the cylinder then you most likely have a linkage in the door come loose. If the key wont turn then it is probably a lock cylinder issue. Either way a good locksmith should be able to rectify the problem.

JR
I think this beyond a locksmith. The key turns in the lock, but will not activate locks or move any linkage. I'll pull the door panel and see if any wires came loose or off and verify why the linkage is not opening the locks. Beyond that I can't think of anything else to check. The dealer will get a shot at correcting it if all else fails and no other areas to check are given.

At this point I'm not concerned that the top does not move with the key. From my reading, that option may have not been turned on in the CBEST configuration.
Old 02-12-13, 03:52 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I think this beyond a locksmith. The key turns in the lock, but will not activate locks or move any linkage. I'll pull the door panel and see if any wires came loose or off and verify why the linkage is not opening the locks. Beyond that I can't think of anything else to check. The dealer will get a shot at correcting it if all else fails and no other areas to check are given.

At this point I'm not concerned that the top does not move with the key. From my reading, that option may have not been turned on in the CBEST configuration.
The convertable top ONLY moves with the dash mounted top up or down rocker switch button.
If the car has luxlink installed then there are ways to operate the top from the manual door key by emulating the fob presses by doing them with the key
Old 02-12-13, 04:05 PM
FLYCT

Huh?

The only option that I am aware of that allows one to drop the top with the remote is an aftermarket add on called "LuxLink" Lexus does not have that ability as it came from the factory.

I'm a little confused by some things stated. You said car was bought new and delivered with only ONE key with push buttons. I know my 2 SC 430s came with 2 remote master keys with push buttons from the factory.

Now if aftermarket LuxLink was installed it allows starting the car when standing outside the car with a sequence of button pushes on the remote master key. It also allows the top to be opened or closed using a sequence of push buttons on the remote. in order to do this it requires that one of your master keys be hidden in the car.

Do you know if the owner had LuxLink installed? If not it is not possible to oerate the top via the remote push buttons. as far as I know all year SC 430s came with 2 remote master keys, at leat my 2007 and my 2008 came with 2.

JR
Old 02-12-13, 05:07 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Huh?

The only option that I am aware of that allows one to drop the top with the remote is an aftermarket add on called "LuxLink" Lexus does not have that ability as it came from the factory.

I'm a little confused by some things stated. You said car was bought new and delivered with only ONE key with push buttons. I know my 2 SC 430s came with 2 remote master keys with push buttons from the factory.

Now if aftermarket LuxLink was installed it allows starting the car when standing outside the car with a sequence of button pushes on the remote master key. It also allows the top to be opened or closed using a sequence of push buttons on the remote. in order to do this it requires that one of your master keys be hidden in the car.

Do you know if the owner had LuxLink installed? If not it is not possible to oerate the top via the remote push buttons. as far as I know all year SC 430s came with 2 remote master keys, at leat my 2007 and my 2008 came with 2.

JR
First, I know FOR CERTAIN this car was delivered to the owner with only one remote key, one valet key, and one wallet flat key. This I know as well as my first name. I have double checked and the family member confirms that at no time did they ever have a second key. It was purchased new by them off the Lexus lot in 2002. So if you received two, then great. This car did not come with two.
There was no LuxLink installed. This I know for certain as well.

As for my remark about moving the top, I made a mistake. I see the windows are all that go down by turning and holding the key, NOT the top. My mistake for implying/thinking the window down included the top down. As I said, turning the key in the drivers door lock results in nothing happening.
Old 02-12-13, 09:10 PM
FLYCT

First, I know FOR CERTAIN this car was delivered to the owner with only one remote key, one valet key, and one wallet flat key. This I know as well as my first name. I have double checked and the family member confirms that at no time did they ever have a second key. It was purchased new by them off the Lexus lot in 2002. So if you received two, then great. This car did not come with two.
There was no LuxLink installed. This I know for certain as well.

As for my remark about moving the top, I made a mistake. I see the windows are all that go down by turning and holding the key, NOT the top. My mistake for implying/thinking the window down included the top down. As I said, turning the key in the drivers door lock results in nothing happening.
I just checked the manual for the 2002 SC and comparing it to my 07 and 08 where it states 2 remote master keys are provided the manual for the 2002 is different. The 02 manual is vague but it appears that you are correct, and only one remote master key was provided in model year 2002. Sorry for the confusion.

To confirm my statement about the mechanical linkage in the door cylinder i just disconnected the car's battery (not the battery in the remote) in my 08 SC430 and confirmed that the turning the key in the door lock you can mechanically lock and unlock the driver door. Perhaps someone with a 2002 model year could chime in and confirm the same.

I knew that holding the remote unlock button for longer than 3 seconds or so will roll down both windows. I never knew that turning and holding the key in the door to the unlock or lock position cause the windows to roll up or roll down. Live and learn.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-13-13 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-13-13, 06:21 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Let me add to the confusion about keys.
I have a 2002 SC, purchased as soon as the car went on sale (May 2001).
Like my previous SC400, and my subsequently purchased RX, the car came with two full-function keys, with one valet key (no buttons and will not open the glove box) and one flat key that fits into a plastic case that holds the chip. I still have all of them.
I have never heard of any Lexus car being delivered with fewer than two of the major keys.
I have heard of keys being lost.
Old 02-13-13, 08:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

I agree with tfischer. Call any dealer and ask you will get same answer.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 theft recovery.