SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

iPhone5 and 2008 SC430 Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 01:04 PM
BuckeyeGF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone5 and 2008 SC430 Bluetooth

I just switched from Blackberry to an iPhone5 and have a significant problem that even the Lexus dealer says there is nothing they can do.

The Bluetooth links just fine with the iPhone5 and when a call comes in everything performs just like it's supposed to (i.e......radio off.....screen on.....calling party's voice through car speakers, etc. ) However.......the calling party can't hear me. I have to talk to them with my iPhone, which kind of defeats the "hands free" capability.

We tried linking a Droid, another Blackberry and they worked just fine. Seems to be an iPhone5 issue?

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue? I asked if it's a software issue, does Lexus have a patch to fix it and I just got a blank stare?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 01-30-13, 02:30 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this will solve your problem, but this thread is worth reading:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ee-volume.html
Old 01-30-13, 03:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Maybe a call to the Lexus Customer Service (Corporate) will do something...you can try.
Old 01-30-13, 04:05 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Maybe a call to the Lexus Customer Service (Corporate) will do something...you can try.
I actually took our '06 SC to the local Lexus dealer and their technical expert drove it and adjusted it while I was talking to him from his office land line. He used my iPhone 4s and his cell phone during the testing and both sounded about the same. The sound quality was okay at best over the land line. It could be that the microphone is placed in position to close to wind noise, not sure. If someone comes up with solution to improve this bluetooth, I'm all ears!

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-30-13 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 02:09 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I actually took our '06 SC to the local Lexus dealer and their technical expert drove it and adjusted it while I was talking to him from his office land line. He used my iPhone 4s and his cell phone during the testing and both sounded about the same. The sound quality was okay at best over the land line. It could be that the microphone is placed in position to close to wind noise, not sure. If someone comes up with solution to improve this bluetooth, I'm all ears!
My CT has an issue where if the A/C vents are pointed anywhere above center it screws with the ceiling mounted microphone.

JR
Old 01-31-13, 06:15 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

I found this thread regarding the bluetooth and how it initially worked really well, and then over time did not:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sues-help.html

It makes me think one of two things, the microphone(s) does not last long, or like my iPhone, once dust or lint gets into certain areas, the speaker phone no longer worked on the iPhone. More specifically, it may not take much time driving with the top down for microscopic dust particles to settle on the microphone(s) and then causing an unclear/muffled "send" voice. I hear this complaint every time I use my bluetooth, but thinking back, when I first purchased the car with only 16,000 miles on it, I never heard a complaint. I just took a can of compressed air and sprayed the microphone area to see if that would help. I fixed the problem on my iPhone doing this, but I'm not sure it will do much in this case. FYI - I assumed the microphone locations are next to the two interior lights located near the rear view mirror where small holes appear on both sides.

After further research using Google and typing in "convertible bluetooth problems" there were many different automakers, but this mini cooper link was the first one that showed up:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...oth-issue.html

It makes think that I may be on to something, not a Lexus problem, but a problem that haunts all bluetooths in convertibles of any make, where the "send" voice eventually gets muffled, and again my guess is that it's caused by dust.

Last edited by sixonemale; 01-31-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 07:25 AM
BuckeyeGF
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm now working with lexus at their hq in torrance and they are going to assign me a bluetooth technician since this issue seems to be a software/linking problem. Not dirt....not top down.....the audio is simply one way......i can hear the caller........the caller cannot hear me?

But i'm pleased they are engaging their experts......

Originally Posted by buckeyegf
i just switched from blackberry to an iphone5 and have a significant problem that even the lexus dealer says there is nothing they can do.

The bluetooth links just fine with the iphone5 and when a call comes in everything performs just like it's supposed to (i.e......radio off.....screen on.....calling party's voice through car speakers, etc. ) however.......the calling party can't hear me. I have to talk to them with my iphone, which kind of defeats the "hands free" capability.

We tried linking a droid, another blackberry and they worked just fine. Seems to be an iphone5 issue?

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue? I asked if it's a software issue, does lexus have a patch to fix it and i just got a blank stare?

Thanks
Old 02-05-13, 12:07 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a iPhone5 too and have never had any issue at all. Connects easily, works fine (except with the top down and its a little too noisy)....

Old 12-11-14, 04:20 PM
Justinryan
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution?

Originally Posted by BuckeyeGF
I just switched from Blackberry to an iPhone5 and have a significant problem that even the Lexus dealer says there is nothing they can do.

The Bluetooth links just fine with the iPhone5 and when a call comes in everything performs just like it's supposed to (i.e......radio off.....screen on.....calling party's voice through car speakers, etc. ) However.......the calling party can't hear me. I have to talk to them with my iPhone, which kind of defeats the "hands free" capability.

We tried linking a Droid, another Blackberry and they worked just fine. Seems to be an iPhone5 issue?

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue? I asked if it's a software issue, does Lexus have a patch to fix it and I just got a blank stare?

Thanks
I saw there was a Lexus technician assigned to your case. Did you ever find a resolution? I am having the same problem and would love to know the outcome