SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LED Conversion Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 07:06 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts
Default LED Conversion Project

As a Xmas gift for the SC, I am doing an LED conversion project and have received my LED's from iJDMToy. I will be doing a before-after picture. A detailed DIY as best as I can.

These are the LED's I want to install:

1. DRL/High Beam 9005
2. Fogs H3
3. Park Lights 168
4. License Plate 168
5. Reverse Light 7440

Item 1 will need a decoder which came in with the order.

I am organizing DIY information from the iJDMToy website and other tips I have come across on multiple LED threads here.

Hope to keep all of these good information on a single thread for everybody's use.

Weather permitting, it will be done this weekend.
Old 01-09-13, 07:46 AM
mandyfig

Eventually I will also replace the side markers which are 168’s.

I am also very interested to incorporate the DRL Strip LED for Audi into the SC. I have seen it installed on the RX and they look good. Just do not know how and where to install it on our SC’s. In the RX, they pinched the strip between the headlamp and the bumper, it really looks OEM.

For the SC, we can probably do something like this:
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Strip.docx (56.5 KB, 483 views)
Old 01-09-13, 07:49 AM
mandyfig

This is a better picture, doable for the SC:
Attached Thumbnails LED Conversion Project-led_audi_style_strip_5b-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 07:51 AM
mandyfig

A 12" strip is $20, not bad at all.
Old 01-09-13, 02:07 PM
mandyfig

I think I am all ready for this project.

iJDMtoy gave me good advise, test LED bulbs 1st before tearing down the car. If bulb is no good I guess they will send replacements.
Old 01-09-13, 05:39 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on the install mandy. I changed all of mine out except for the fogs. You will really like the brighter led's. Looks much better than the yellow lights.
Old 01-09-13, 08:56 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck! I also did all those but replaced the fogs with bright yellow halogens. I installed led strips on the headlights but still havent wired them up. Now that I have the clearlight side markers, I might wire the strips in line with those and see how they look. I still want to do the dome lights, door sills and the floor lights in blue.

You could get 4 more 168's and do the trunk and doors too.
Old 01-09-13, 11:40 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice project. You got some good ideas. I'm looking forward to see where this is going.
Old 01-10-13, 06:52 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a Sequoia that I switched all the inside bulbs to LEDs, they lasted about a week. Not because they failed, I just could not take the bright white sterile look so I wound up taking them out. Then I said ok lets try it with the SC400... again went back to original. Last try WITH THE sc430 but now with blue LEDs... a little better but I think I'm going to stick to original bulbs on the inside and white LED on the outside. I really want to hear your opinion! good luck!

sorry, I should have read your post correctly to see that you are only doing the out side.

Last edited by hlthlnk; 01-10-13 at 06:55 PM. Reason: did not read original post correctly
Old 01-11-13, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Good luck! I also did all those but replaced the fogs with bright yellow halogens. I installed led strips on the headlights but still havent wired them up. Now that I have the clearlight side markers, I might wire the strips in line with those and see how they look. I still want to do the dome lights, door sills and the floor lights in blue.

You could get 4 more 168's and do the trunk and doors too.
Come on man, back to work on the LED on the headlights!
Old 01-11-13, 09:40 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
I have a Sequoia that I switched all the inside bulbs to LEDs, they lasted about a week. Not because they failed, I just could not take the bright white sterile look so I wound up taking them out. Then I said ok lets try it with the SC400... again went back to original. Last try WITH THE sc430 but now with blue LEDs... a little better but I think I'm going to stick to original bulbs on the inside and white LED on the outside. I really want to hear your opinion! good luck!

sorry, I should have read your post correctly to see that you are only doing the out side.
I converted all of my inside bulbs. The oem were in my opinion not bright. I could hardly read anthing when i was inside the car. The LED are brighter whiter and give me the punch I need to read anything .Another very strong point is they use alot less of your battery and thats a good thing
especially if you leave a door open. Been there done that
Old 01-12-13, 10:45 AM
mandyfig

I have finally started the conversion.

1. The reverse lights were a breeze.

2. The Park lights on the headlamp was OK. I just pulled the fender liner and got in there.

3. The Fogs will require a bumper off. I tried to squeeze in the bottom, but no way.

4. The license plate lamps, is there a way to pop the lens and replace the bulb? The manual says the assembly has to be taken out from the trunk. HELP!

5. On to the DRL's.

I am taking lots of pics.

In the meantime, help on the License bulbs...thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-13, 10:51 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

There are tabs on the lens that you squeeze in and it will come out from the front, Get a light and look at the clear lens you should be abel to see these tabs. You do not have to go through the trunk. The entire fixture comes out.. I remember you just drop one side and then manipulate the other out
Old 01-12-13, 12:14 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Mandy, an indie shop in Marietta changed out my fogs by raising the car on jacks, turning the steering wheel to create max clearance to go through the fender liner. Or you can just take the front wheel off to create the space you need.

Also, on the license plate lights, this same indie shop popped the bulb out in literally 2 seconds so there has got to be a real easy trick to it. I just did not see them do it and I am not with my car now so I cannot fiddle with it to check.
Old 01-12-13, 01:14 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by mrblister
There are tabs on the lens that you squeeze in and it will come out from the front, Get a light and look at the clear lens you should be abel to see these tabs. You do not have to go through the trunk. The entire fixture comes out.. I remember you just drop one side and then manipulate the other out
I will take a look again. \ I saw the tab but it is with the carrier and not the lens. I will push the tab and try to yank it out.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: LED Conversion Project