Register Forgot Password?

LED Conversion Project

Old 01-21-13, 01:58 PM   #61
mandyfig
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antigeek View Post
Mandy,

How effective are the high beams with the LEDs?
They look awesome, and I'm considering doing the same, but I'm concerned about their strength.

Would you consider posting some night pics?
I'd include mine for comparison, but I've got an HID out that I should receive this week.
The LED for the DRL's is only 1 setting as I have read in another post, so I expected it. Quite good as DRL, much higher intensity and color is better than stock halogens.

But it will not kick up when you hit the High Beam. Stays the same.

As far as I know the DRL's work on variable voltage. This LED's will not do it. I believe the decoders are limiting it to 1 setting.

However I am happy with my set up. I miss the high beam but am aware that I will no longer have it so I am extra cautious since I know I will be limited to range of visibility when the time comes.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 01-21-13, 01:59 PM   #62
mandyfig

I will take night shots of my set up and will post.
Old 01-21-13, 11:58 PM   #63
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyfig View Post
The LED for the DRL's is only 1 setting as I have read in another post, so I expected it. Quite good as DRL, much higher intensity and color is better than stock halogens.

As far as I know the DRL's work on variable voltage. This LED's will not do it. I believe the decoders are limiting it to 1 setting.

However I am happy with my set up. I miss the high beam but am aware that I will no longer have it so I am extra cautious since I know I will be limited to range of visibility when the time comes.
I think you will find that you wouldn't have high beams with any LED bulbs. The output from LEDs can't come lose to a Halogen or HID bulb/assembly.
2006 SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl W/- Black Interior, Reversing Sensors/Camera, SL2i-UP, Daizen Bushings, Cusgo Strut Bar, G-Spider Wheels
Previous: 2007 RX350 Sport Luxury - Graphite/Light Grey Interior, Thundercloud Grille; 2003 RX330 Sports - Dark Blue/Ivory Interior; 1999 IS200 Sports - Red Mica/Black Interior
harleydjce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 06:26 AM   #64
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Quote:

Question. Are you saying that all LED can not be dimmed as conventional bulbs can.?
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 06:58 AM   #65
mandyfig

LED's for automotive use are not dimmable as far as know. Have seen LED bulbs at Costco that are dimmable. So not really sure about the technology for dimmable LED's. Anybody an expert on lighting?
Old 01-22-13, 07:29 AM   #66
mrblister
Lexus Champion

Default led

Quote:
LED's for automotive use are not dimmable as far as know. Have seen LED bulbs at Costco that are dimmable. So not really sure about the technology for dimmable LED's. Anybody an expert on lighting?
I bought same led at cosco so I know they are dimable. I have a 12 volt led strip of bulbs i was thinkiing of installing into my floor well courtesty circuit. i know that the floor wells are dimable in fact i have led in my map lights and come to think of it when they power on they come on from low to high and same when going off high to low. I dont remember if they are dimable with the gauges light switch. I will take a look at it.
2005 SC430 Pebble Beach nav tool back up camera vias sirius radio daizen front & rear anti sway greaseable zerks blitz throttle controler windscreen deflector 8 disk dvd trunk changer dvd/tv tuner in glove box r1 slotted & drilled rotors,axis pads 20 " donz genovese staggered toyo t1 proxies toms tower strut bar cnc aluminum frame stiffiner plates lux link remote start remote top 1/4 window mod phone hack & beat sonic nav overide lots of led bulbs lexus logo door projectors 2004 GX470
mrblister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 11:36 AM   #67
WIL44
Lead Lap

WILLSY44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydjce View Post
I think you will find that you wouldn't have high beams with any LED bulbs. The output from LEDs can't come lose to a Halogen or HID bulb/assembly.
Hi Dave

I think the technology is there (just look at the Le Man series Audi's) as far as I am aware they are LED, but correct me if I am wrong. Probably not available for road cars yet, but it will be soon I'm sure.

Best regards
Steve
Old 01-22-13, 11:50 AM   #68
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIL44 View Post
Hi Dave

I think the technology is there (just look at the Le Man series Audi's) as far as I am aware they are LED, but correct me if I am wrong. Probably not available for road cars yet, but it will be soon I'm sure.

Best regards
Steve
The technology exists at the Auto manufacturer level but hasn't reached the aftermarket yet. Lexus sell the RX450h in Oz which has LED headlights.

I am concerned however with the trend to replace high beam headlights with LED's as in Mandyfig's case this leaves him with no High Beam. Not sure of the Laws in the US but this would be completely illegal in Australia and could leave you uninsured.
2006 SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl W/- Black Interior, Reversing Sensors/Camera, SL2i-UP, Daizen Bushings, Cusgo Strut Bar, G-Spider Wheels
Previous: 2007 RX350 Sport Luxury - Graphite/Light Grey Interior, Thundercloud Grille; 2003 RX330 Sports - Dark Blue/Ivory Interior; 1999 IS200 Sports - Red Mica/Black Interior
harleydjce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 12:00 PM   #69
WIL44
Lead Lap

WILLSY44

Quote:
The technology exists at the Auto manufacturer level but hasn't reached the aftermarket yet. Lexus sell the RX450h in Oz which has LED headlights.

I am concerned however with the trend to replace high beam headlights with LED's as in Mandyfig's case this leaves him with no High Beam. Not sure of the Laws in the US but this would be completely illegal in Australia and could leave you uninsured.
Certainly illegal in the UK too Dave, our annual MOT test requires Main and Dipped Beam to be working.
We do not have the dual voltage DRL headlights in the UK, just side lights, HID's and Main (high) beam. We also dont have side marker lights. Ours are just reflectors and not required by law so we can paint them body colour.

Best regards
Steve
Old 01-22-13, 12:27 PM   #70
mandyfig

Quote:

Fortunately in the State of Georgia here in the US, at this time we do not undergo any check up except for emissions.

All you need is a Certificate that you passed the emissions exam and you can renew your tag.

I know that soon, we will have a bit more check up, am all for it specially for safety related components.
Old 01-22-13, 12:53 PM   #71
WIL44
Lead Lap

WILLSY44

Quote:
Fortunately in the State of Georgia here in the US, at this time we do not undergo any check up except for emissions.

All you need is a Certificate that you passed the emissions exam and you can renew your tag.

I know that soon, we will have a bit more check up, am all for it specially for safety related components.
That is amazing Mandy, we have had annual MOT's since the 60's.
Every year they become stricter and more checks are added.

You rarely see 'old bangers' on the streets in the UK anymore, you used to be able to find a 'dodgy' garage that would give you an MOT for some extra cash, but not these days. Everything is logged digitally now and when you apply for your Road Fund Licence, your Insurance and MOT are verified before you can get it. Cars found on the streets without Road Fund Licences are clamped and then removed for disposal if fines (and back licence fees) are not paid.

Oh to be in Georgia where the sun shines............six inches of snow here.

Best regards
Steve

Last edited by WIL44; 01-23-13 at 11:51 AM..
WIL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 02:00 PM   #72
mandyfig

Steve, hence I say we are still fortunate around here. On the flip side, we do have unworthy vehicles on the road. Frankly I would rather have everybody getting their fair share of the inspection.

It is coming sooner that we can ever tell. I am all for it. Neighboring states have them already. We are the few hold outs. This is farm country and farmers are protected. To this day trucks are exempt from seat belts, do you believe that?
Old 01-23-13, 11:55 AM   #73
WIL44
Lead Lap

WILLSY44

Quote:
Steve, hence I say we are still fortunate around here. On the flip side, we do have unworthy vehicles on the road. Frankly I would rather have everybody getting their fair share of the inspection.

It is coming sooner that we can ever tell. I am all for it. Neighboring states have them already. We are the few hold outs. This is farm country and farmers are protected. To this day trucks are exempt from seat belts, do you believe that?
When you say trucks Mandy, do you mean pickups or lorries(as we call them)?

Best regards
Steve
Old 01-23-13, 03:43 PM   #74
mandyfig

Steve,

Yes. Anything other than what we call CARS and SUV's. Those things with open beds...

Mandy
Attached Images

Old 01-23-13, 04:25 PM   #75
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (6)

No state inspections or emissIons check in Florida. Buy a beater, drive it off the lot and away you go.

I installed my LED DRL's knowing I would lose my high beams. I very seldom drive the car at night so that was a risk I was willing to take.........like running my spacers.

Last edited by A1Lexis; 01-23-13 at 04:33 PM..
A1Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 04:25 PM

Tags
2005, 9005, audi, chicago, conversion, decoder, diy, drl, is300, led, lexus, lights, liquid, murdered, project, rx330, sc430